Chevrolet Sonic?

So I am a huge cheapass... I have only owned 8+ year old cars, and I usually buy them with 125k+ miles on them. This is all fine and good, but I sort of want a newer car (like 2013+).

I have been looking at the turbocharged Chevy Sonics (LTZ / RS) ... I currently drive an Impala boat of a car, so it would be interesting to size down for a change.

For an entry-level subcompact, how is this car? I am in stop-and-go highway traffic for about two hours a day, so I want an automatic car. People say Ford Fiesta beats this, but I have little faith in the weird automatic clutch transmission in those. I am no street racer or anything, I just want something cheap and small with some "pep"

thanks Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lB9LL15xu0U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>wants pep
>wants automatic
Choose one, cause in the subcompact level, if you want pep or fun to drive, it has to be manual

> if you want pep or fun to drive, it has to be manual

No. Manual is annoying as fuck and I will never buy a manual car again unless I am thrown back into the 1920's by a temporal portal.

t. Never driven a manual

Buy a gun along with your sonic, cause after 2 hours in it, you'll be ready to kys. and not in the spergy Veeky Forums way either. I mean literally kys.

10 hours a week in stand still traffic made me sell that shit. Sorry Veeky Forums I am in my thirties, I am not a 1990's-born kid with a manual transmission, "WAT" stickers, and a fart blaster exhaust tip. I am glad you prefer manual, but I don't. Sorry to go full autistic here but literally every time I make a thread on Veeky Forums it derails into people stroking their dicks over manual transmissions and calling me a faggot for wanting to buy an automatic.

I'm in my 30s too, stop being a bitch faggot

Autofags are the fucking worst
>b-but manual is too irritating for my delicate left leg

What is my response supposed to be? Am I supposed to congratulate you on preferring manual and derailing my thread?

Do you need some sort of pat on the back or little gold star?

Do you need someone to hold your hand like the bitch you are? Go fucking take one for a test drive and stop wasting data on this stupid fucking thread, if you're such a grown ass man like you implied, you'd have already done that, so that being said: fuck off

New user here. Not the guy you've been arguing with.

Just to let you know the manual transmission Sonic's have a hill hold feature to make hill started easier. It keeps the brakes and brake like on for a few seconds when the clutch is pressed to give you time to shift and get on the gas. It's a clever system.
youtube.com/watch?v=lB9LL15xu0U

beyond that, A Sonic turbo is a good car. The manual is more fun and there automatic does drain a lot of fun from the car, but its still a good, well built, reliable, quick car.

Manual's great on a motorcycle or pleasure-mobile, but on a commuter it just isn't practical.

>tfw Buick Cascada Turbo
>tfw manifold can be fitted to 1.8L NA Sonic I4
>tfw we could have a competent Sonic Hot Hatch in the future

kys

this is a proper shit thread OP
and don't go blaming others for it

Just go buy that piece of shit 1 liter and and regret your pleb life sitting in traffic in your Russian tier interior on the way to your shitty job.

>>sitting in traffic 10hours a week
>>can only afford trash cars

Just kill yourself m8

>1 liter
It's a 1.4L or a 1.8L you ignorant twat.

Goddamn you're right, 1.4 and 1.8 liter engines are fucking huge. Almost 2 whole liters just like the big boys!
>mfw you get assmad over fractions of a liter
>because every cc matters when your engine is this small
>cuck

Would suggest non-turbo verson of this car instead of turbo version

Gf has this card, its uncomfy as fuck compared to any impala, but its survived 4 wrecks pretty sassily

>manual valve body
>ratchet shifters
>line locks cheaper
you can have just as much if not more fun with autos

You are pretty much a dick. I assumed Veeky Forums might have some insight. Do you just never ask for anyone else's opinion before going to waste time on a test drive? Boohoo fagggot, hide the thread if you are literally so butthurt you have to come in here and be a salty little wimp

I only buy cars with cash. I am not going to have a car payment like a fucking idiot. I can probably spend ~20k USD but I can get a Sonic LTZ for ~$15k USD. Seems like a good deal to me.

>proper shit thread
When did Veeky Forums grow some culture? Is it because it isn't a Miata thread where everyone sucks each other off? I haven't been on Veeky Forums in a while, but I thought that's what this entire board was about. Color me surprised.

That sounds pretty neat!

if you put any of that on a stock Sonic I will laugh so fucking hard

Any specific reason for 1.8 NA over 1.4 turbo? Just the maintenance?

You're such a faggot
kys

gf's sonic is almost paid off, will keep you posted if I accomplish any of this. I can't think of a better subject.

This x10

Nice response. Go vote for Hillary like a good bb

Turbo's blow consistanty at 100-125k miles, a 2013 will have say 3 years at 15-20k year. You are looking at another 4 years or so of driving before spending an ass load of money on a new turbo/kits. Less moving parts/less maintenance . Less to go wrong bla bla bla.

>trumpfag

>you are pretty much a dick

And your a faggoty bitch nigga that wastes everyone's time, go back to r/cars and cry there you fucking bitch

>Implying I will vote for madman Trump

Nice try, Hillarybro

Holy shit I love cock! I want an automatic subcompact so I can give my bf a handle while I cruise down the street.

>wastes everyone's time

Well I have gotten a lot of on-topic replies and some good advice in regards to engine choice, the interior, and some info on the hill assist mode for manual Sonics. If we're being blunt, the only twat in the entire thread is you. I implore you to hide the thread, get some tissues to wipe all the tears off your face, and go take a nap because you are grumpy.

what do you suggest instead?

A manual car, but then you can't give your bf a handie while you cruise down the street.

dude I agree, he is grumpy as fuck. Capt Grumpleskin over here.

I'm not sure, I could fingerbang my gf back when I had my 350z. and that fucker was a 6 speed.

>wants a car after 2013
they're all shit. unless you're spending 35k+

buy a low mileage first or second gen mazda 3 in manuel

Equipping an automatic to most sub-compacts, which are already under powered to begin with, will make them feel even more unresponsive and shitty.

The manual transmission is literally the only thing that makes those type of cars bearable.

or you could modify the automatic transmission?

modify it? wtf lol

Maybe if you are driving a fuckin' '87 Honda CRX automatic that would be true, but it is CURRENT YEAR; cars are amazing now

>cars are amazing now
Not automatic subcompacts

I'm pretty sure there's nothing you can modify on a sub 20k sub-compact automatic transmission.

Sure there are. Just none of them will make the car any better. Jackasses will still try tho.

Most automatics are still as indecisive and disconnecting as they were in the 80's.

If you think you're going to be getting a quality transmission in a cheap sub-compact then I have some bad news for you...

>148 horsepower
>2800 pounds

I'm ok with this

>shit power:weight ratio
>I know what'll make it better: an automatic transmission!

*138 HP

The automatics are no slower than automatic equipped Chevy Cobalts.

So then it's slower than if it was a manual, thanks for clarifying

They look great on paper. Safer, more features, more fuel efficient than a Fit or Yaris, and usually cheaper. Turbo means cheap hp boost with an aftermarket chip.

However, I found it miserable to drive. DBW lag plus turbo lag, plus the usual garbage Chevy interior (and wtf is up with the speedo?) ruined it for me. Five minutes into the test drive and I took it back.

No no no. Do not get the 1.8 liter. Gutless and less fuel efficient than the turbo, and fewer aftermarket options. Check the forums - everyone who buys the 1.8 laments it.

This. In this price range, automatics will still be less fuel efficient and will zap the fun-to-drive quotient.

OP get the manual. My last three cars have been manuals and I DD them in city traffic. Unless it's a supercar with a stiff clutch, there is no inconvenience to speak of.

What cars have good interiors on their entry level models? I assume none?

Out of all that you're going to focus on the interior? lol okay. Hard surfaces, random bits of chrome (because GM) and awkward, unusable storage spaces comprise what I consider a bad interior. Also seriously just look at the "instrument panel."

At this price point, better interiors can be found in the Fit, Fiesta, and Mazda2 Touring (RIP).

how much are you looking to spend? cash or financing? how much can you put down?

I was thinking of spending about $15,000 USD, cash - no financing

>actually wanting a domestically badged automatic Daewoo Kalos
You deserve to be shot.

Post your local craigslist and the Veeky Forums personal army will find your dream car.

Low horsepower cars suck if they are auto, except for automated clutched transmissions like DSG et al.

The Auto Sonic is a very disappointing car to drive if you want your hatch to be fun.

The 1.4T with the 6 speed is a competitive and fun car. The automatic is not competitive with the alternatives from Ford, Mazda, Etc.

OP don't do it.

Buying a car off craigslist? Nah I am good

>Never buy automatics unless its a Toyota
>Turbos are unreliable especially from GM
>manuals are shit for long driving hours
>Only fuccbois would mention interior

where can I get this type of watch

>Only fuccbois would mention interior

I personally don't care, but literally every time I tell someone I usually drive/own GM cars I get "Ewww GM interior, kek! lol!!! gb2reddit GM is le' sux haha interior is so bad" or whatever the cool kids say these days

Finance and get something nice. How about a used volvo S60/S80, lexus, infiniti, etc.

I don't finance as a personal rule.

The most expensive car I have ever purchased was $3500.

When I sort local cars that are around $10,000 and 2013+ I get Chevy Sonics, Hyundai Elantras, Kia (multi), Ford Fiesta/Focus, Mazda 2, Nissan Versa, Toyota Yaris, and shit Fiats

Buying an automatic economy car from a dealer? You're a 50-year-old woman, aren't you?

Do you have a stable job? Emergency fund? There's nothing wrong with financing.

>nothing wrong with financing.

If you like cock in your mouth

Yeah I do. I make like $70k/yr but I have $0 debt and I have a super cheapass. I wear like $8 discount jeans and I never spend any money. I don't want to finance because that means the car isn't really mine, it's the bank's.

So then keep saving and pay cash for something nicer.

Just buy a used Gen II Prius in cash from owner

Makes no noise when the car is crawling in heavy traffic

OK

>because that means the car isn't really mine, it's the bank's.
that would be what's called a lease, a loan doesn't put the cars ownership in the banks hands in any way whatsoever until you break the contract

not using credit/loans to your advantage is an extreme hindrance to your buying power and is pretty shortsighted/willfully ignorant and only shows that you don't know how to manage money

>not using credit/loans [...] is pretty shortsighted/willfully ignorant and only shows that you don't know how to manage money

Idk man I put like $2,000 into a savings account a month.

I think I will just save up more.

>until you break the contract

So you just reworded everything even though it means the same thing?

> extreme hindrance to your buying power

Can't finance a dishwasher or something? This is a joke.

putting money into a savings account is almost as bad as stuffing it into your mattress
I'm not saying you should be day trading or flipping houses, but you probably aren't outpacing inflation with whatever saving you are doing

a 350 per month payment on your 10k car means you get to not sink every dollar into a depreciating asset and put that money towards something that makes you money

but I guess that option isn't actually all that viable as you probably have zero credit and wouldn't qualify for shit

This

If this faggot really had a $70k/year job then he wouldn't be afraid to finance, OPs just a dumbfuck who can't into credit score

>reworded everything

I'm not sure what you are getting at
I'll try to be more clear
a lease means a bank owns your car, it's titled in their name and you get to drive it so long as you play by their rules(mileage restrictions and whatnot)

a loan means you own the car, and are wholly responsible for it and can do whatever you want with it
only under breaking the agreement and triggering a repo do you lose ownership of a car

>a loan means you own the car

Until it's fully paid? Or do you think the repo just wants a free car? Yep, i've concluded that you love cock

no, you own the car while the loan is still active

>repo just wants a free car
what?
the only reason it would get repo'd is if you missed several payments and had no intention of paying for the car

this is like saying the government owns your car because if you don't pay for registration they will impound it

I'm beginning to think that OP has either completely fucked up his credit or doesn't know shit about finance.

I was taken to court by Capital One not once but twice right when I got out of high school, so I don't really use credit at all since then. I try to live a debt-free life style because of poor decision making I did as a teen.

Basically, I don't finance anything ever. I do not ever plan to buy a house.

> not buying a house
Enjoy pissing money away on rent and never ever having anything to show for it
Mortgage is cheaper than rent as well, btw

Have fun not owning any relevant or significant property ever

I no desire to ever own a house or property. I do not want the obligations that come with those things. Owning a house would put a nightmarish amount of anxiety into my life.

*have no desire

>this is like saying

No the government issues taxes and the banks own the car

Stop being so cuck'd

lol good guess
get a secured credit card or something, you being scared off because of some stupid mistakes early in life is not a good way to go about things

if you haven't fucked up since, and have been paying bills regularly you probably have some credit
a secured card will mean you can't overspends and can't get in trouble but is reported to credit agencies the same as regular cards

a child will bury his head in the sand and avoid lives problems
take responsibility for your life and be an adult

For commuting a auto is better but in a small car like that. You'll hate a auto trans. If you really want to break out of cheap ass mode buy another car that doesn't suck with a auto trans

How are you not living in a basement collecting neetbux? You can't handle the responsibility to be a functioning adult? Jesus Christ, and you have the audacity to talk shit about anyone else

You sound like a little Bitch

keep repeating memes like they mean something
try to lean how ownership works and perhaps learn something about managing money
your life will be better for it

Holy fuck OP
I thought this thread was strange but now I get it.
You're the exact type of person who wants to buy a new automatic econobox in cash because you can't into personal finance.
I can't help you at this point.

>a child will bury his head in the sand and avoid lives problems
take responsibility for your life and be an adult

So you are saying every adult should own a house? :\ Come on man. I have no desire to have a house and repair it and shit.

I have ~700 credit score. I am OK. I don't use credit, though.

Why does everyone here want to own a house? Are you all following a life instruction guide or something?

>Wants subcompact
>wants automatic subcompact
>doesn't want to finance
>can, just doesn't want to
>never wants to own property
>never wants to grow up
>has 70k/year job

This has bullshit written all over it
kys OP

you've made it clear that you fucked up when you were young and are now afraid of this very basic thing

that's what everyone is jumping all over

Hey guys, it's me, OP