The new 3 series is to be made in Mexico which could cut US prices by 10%-20%

>The new 3 series is to be made in Mexico which could cut US prices by 10%-20%
>BMW is going to refocus the 3 series into more of a drivers car due to increased competition from the Jaguar XE, Cadillac ATS and Mercedes C-Class
>New 3 series is expected to make use of BMWs carbon core architecture and aluminum body panels to drop significant weight
>BMW reliability has been steadily climbing for the last 4 years and is now ranked above average

Is the 3 series back on track to become an accessible, light, drivers car or will BMW find a way to fuck things up?

Other urls found in this thread:

autonews.com/article/20141027/RETAIL03/310279956/un-honda-like-problems-plague-new-plant-in-mexico
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>he cho in Mexico

They already fucked up.

>Is the 3 series back on track to become an accessible, light, drivers car or will BMW find a way to fuck things up?

>made in Mexico

bitch please

they already fucked up by having mexicans build it

mexicon motor trabajoooooo

They've build Hondas and Toyotas in Mexico for a long time and that hasn't affected their reliability.

>all these good qualities
>they will be built in Mexico

How the hell are you supposed to reduce US prices if I have to get the thing over the Trump Wallâ„¢?

>implying trump wall affects everyone
Holy shit, stop being a fucking faggot. The wall is only to stop illegals, and it already fucking exists.

They've been building the 3 and 5 series in Mexico from SKD kits since the early 90s. Their tech training center for North America and armoring facilities are in Mexico too.

they don't know what they're doing, they can't communicate and they steal shit

oh yeah, that makes for a reliable car

autonews.com/article/20141027/RETAIL03/310279956/un-honda-like-problems-plague-new-plant-in-mexico

Honda reliability has plummeted in the past decade

but the 3 series is already built in mexico

>mfw both americans and europeans are getting cucked from their jobs by mexicans

>they don't know what they're doing, they can't communicate

Same shit happened when Honda opened new plants in Canada and when VW opened it plant in the US. See, the quality issues with the newly launched Civics coming from Canada. Quality issues were sorted out within the month in all of these cases. Anytime a new factory opens with a totally new staff there are going to be initial problems, especially in Mexico where almost no one speaks Japanese. Even Toyota dealt with this in the San Antonio plant. The parts theft thing happened long after the vehicles left the factory btw. Stuff was stolen while they were on trains parked in freight yards.

I doubt that BMW will have these issues though. They planned this factory a long time ago and already have already hired the workers they'll be using and have already been training them since 2014 so they'll be ready to go when the factory goes on line next year.

>The new 3 series is to be made in Mexico which could cut US prices by 10%-20%

Yeah, that price cut isn't going to happen. They will cost more than they do now and be even more unreliable too. BMW's profits will go up though.

But those Accords were built in the US

>SKD kits

oh look at me I know some expensive acronyms

look at me 4chinz im a playa I know auto world acronyms

>Using the correct term for something is somehow bad

The 3 series built in Mexico are literally just kits shipped from Germany. The only Mexican parts in them are interior trim and some stamped metal pieces. This new plant is a big deal because they entire vehicle will be built in Mexico along with all the necessary parts.

It means semi-knocked down kit. A car that isn't assembled and exported to another country.

You're like that one guy from Guardians of the Galaxy who takes everything literally and is not very good at jokes.

>guardians of the galaxy

I dont watch shitty oldschool movies.

>>mfw both americans and europeans are getting cucked from their jobs by mexicans
>Soon Mexico will be a middle class nation built solely because the industrialists in first world nations export all their middle income industrial jobs to Mexico, while "first world" countries themselves will become the new third world with a wealthy elite at the top and a large underclass who don't have access to middle income careers.

tips sombrero

Assblasted much?

>movie that came out two years ago
>old-school

Baka

You're like that one guy from Guardians of the Galaxy who takes everything literally and is not very good at jokes.

well, the 2-series shows that bmw is still capable of making fun to drive cars, it's just that the rest of their lineup is boring as fuck

i kind of doubt they can make something good anymore that isn't a 2xx

when will this fucking meme end? german engineering will kill it quicker than mexican build quality. Will you fucks really excuse manufacturers like BMW or VAG from their horrible material and engineering decisions just to bash mexicans...?

this, as a euro tech who worked for vw and currently work for a small independant shop specializing in eurotrash those vw passats sure do love to clog up heater cores with that Tennessee water

Deep down they're aware that VAG products aren't that great and it bothers them so they deflect it towards others. Doesn't really excuse the reliability issues on the Touareg or the A6s. Those are German and have even more problems than Mexican Golfs.

Mexican build quality being horrible is a myth in itself. Car companies have literally been building cars in Mexico for over a century. Some of the older Mexican autoparts companies have been in operation longer than some Japanese and Korean brands have been making cars.

they build toyotas in canada

Exactly. Is the build quality lower? Sure, probably by 5-10% vs a European produced part.

Is it a excuse for using plastic in important parts that everyone else uses steel for a reason? Or making timing chain guides a wear item? Or having critical chassis parts tear out? Or choosing the cheapest possible supplier for plastic/rubber parts? Or just stupid fucking overengineering for no reason?

Fuck no. That's a dipshit engineer in Munich/Wolfsburg problem.

BMWs were built in South Africa since the 1970s, I can't possibly see Mexico as being any worse. If Honda and Ford can build reliable cars in Mexico so can BMW.

mexican ford blocks are better than the americans iirc

After the government started taxing foreign car imports in Russia, BMW was the first company to start assembling them on Russian territory (basically just shipping all the parts and putting them together). The quality was considered pretty much the same as German back then, don't know about now. Basically if they care about their reputation they will try their best to uphold their quality standards (although it was never all that iconic in the USA).
>inb4 die, slavshit

Why DO they overengineer shit anyway? It's like there is 2000 guys sitting in RnD department thinking of new shit to implement to justify their position.

The holes for jack in the E36 for example. It's a neat design and it works, but they decided not to paint it. Water gets in and the thresholds are rusting out on me. And they even knew it and added outlets, but they didn't paint those either, and now they have 5cm in diameter.

They build Tacomas in Mexico. Soon they're going to start building Corollas and 4Runners there too.

>Mexico

So is called the Tré series now then?

>Buying a 3 series

enjoy being hated by all drivers, especially other bmw drivers who can actually afford a decent bmw

To be fair the 3 series is still pretty fucking awesome as long as you buy a 6 cylinder variant. At present the Jaguar XE and the Cadillac ATS are the only other two compact sedans that can match it's driving dynamics.

>Yeah, that price cut isn't going to happen.

It won't happen in the US but it probably will happen in Mexico. When they started building the Mazda 3 here prices fell by 30%. This same thing happened when the Honda CRV and Honda Fit began to be manufactured in Mexico too. Policies and taxes in Mexico make foreign made, imported vehicles expensive, but vehicles built in Mexico are very cheap due to preferential tax policies.

The old basic Honda Fit sold for about $16000 us dollars in Mexico. When they begin building them here, the price fell to $10000 since there were no import tariffs and Honda got tax credit for employing mexicans and building a factory here. That's nearly 33% price decrease. When this factory is complete similar price cuts could be possible in for BMW too, reducing basic costs for a 3 serie from $30000 to around $20000, again nearly 33%. Mexico and Brazil are two of the fastest growing markets for BMW outside of Asia and much of these vehicles will be sold in Mexico and Latinoamerica so i suspect this is also a large part of the strategy of BMW. Exports to USA will be important, but growing Latinamerican sales and increasing their profits while decreasing production costs here is a significant componente also.

Mexican propagandist pls go

>Or making timing chain guides a wear item?
plastic guides are less failure prone and cheaper than idler sprockets

>Be working in giant auto parts warehouse
>get oodles upon oodles of bmw badges and part orders

>second is mercedes
>third are land rovers

bmw confirmed for most hated drivers and is tied with mercedes for shit cars

>porsche gets the least in maintenance shit and fixes

mfw

I agree with you, but I also think that Jaguar and Cadillac have steadily been improving while BMW continues to make questionable design decisions, and this is just the most recent. I think if they don't start changing direction, BMW will soon be outclassed by other manufacturers.

Really?? That's very surprising I was under the impression Porsches were money pits after the first 100k miles.

"Introducing the new BMW M Tre'"

I... actually like that. Makes it sound fancier than it is. Or at least it will to normalfags

porsche is hard to judge because they're low volume manufacturers compared to most

agreed also im sure there not being used as much

What is so wrong with Mexico?

>made in mexico
why is that such a big turn-off?
i mean i've been to bmw in leipzig and vw in wolfsburg, all the important work is done by machines, everything else is either resupplying the robots with parts or punching plastic-parts in their place, about everyone could do that.
a guy from the bmw plant even said "you turn in your brain when you arrive and pick it back up when you leave", it's pretty easy work