So what do I do in this situation

So what do I do in this situation
>car wrecked by my brother in March 2014 2 weeks after my mom bought the car for me
>can't find someone willing to work on it without totalling it
>sister finds someone who does show cars and comes highly recommended
>works out that the insurance will work with him on it without totalling it
>insurance pays the cost up front
>it's still in the shop today after almost 2 years
What do? Over this time we usually call once a month or so and ask about it and he always gives some long story about what he's done and what needs done.
It can't possibly take this long right?
At the end last summer all that needed dome was paint. Literally everything was on just needed painted. Then he gives us a call at the end of winter and said he's excited to get back working on it because its warmer now.
Wtf do I do? I really want my car but I don't want to be a dick and get the law involved or something because I still need it done well.

>2 years

The fuck? I'd have gone ape after a fucking month. Less, even, depending on agreements.
Sorry, I don't know about your countries law possibilities here.
But you should be able to just go and get it and your insurance should have an interest that their money has been used properly. Talk to them, too, then.

talk to your insurance, they're the ones paying for this shit

that said, he probably could have done your car in a month but he's dragging it on because he wants that insurance money. I had something similar happen when the upstairs porch collapsed on our house and we had a "family """friend"""" do the work to put up a new one. should have been done in 5 days, took 3 weeks because the family friend was milking the job.

I can't just go get it though, since I need the job done.
I could get it but then I'd have to pay more. Money to get it painted by someone else.

He's not getting paid for time though.
It was an upfront payment for parts and labor so the sooner he had it done better for him I'd think.

>2 years
At first I assumed this was a typo.

What the fuck are you doing, OP?

The shop is contractually obligated to do the paintjob. Set them a ultimatum.
If they ignore it...what, twice? Or three times? I don't remember, they'll be in legal trouble.

if all it needs is paint here's what you do
>walk in
>ask for the keys
>tear off paint tape / tarp shit
>drive away

>He's not getting paid for time though.
I highly HIGHLY doubt that, you really really need to run it by your insurance ASAP to double check because why else would he be slacking so hard on your car

Though there might be a problem with an ultimatum, since you have let it slip for THIS long already. You don fucked up, son. 2 years...how even?

I have another jag I bought in the mean time, but I'm just a very lenient and forgiving person. I think this has gone a little too far though.
Alright. I think I'll call the insurance company and ask then about it.
Also we have actually paid the car off in the time it's been in there.

My mom had to approve all of the money that got send to him whenever it got sent.
So she had to approve the upfront cost of like $1700 then later a little bit more after a problem with the tire bearings was discovered.

So I don't think he is desu but I'll give them a call.

>It was an upfront payment for parts and labor so the sooner he had it done better for him I'd think.

For me, the insurance gave me the amount of money that an independent consultant (sent by the insurance) appraised the damage for. Then the shop received the money from ME, AFTER they did the repairs (as is the case generally, with any repairs or whatnot).

This shit here is all fucked up.

Maybe they gave it to him upfront because he is a small shop that works out of a garage behind his house so he needs the money for parts. He's usually very trustworthy and have tons of good reviews so idk what this deal is.

you must be a cuck or something m8

I just really want her back to her former glory

It's possible that he's got other clients. If you've already been paid for something (assuming it's not taking up too much space etc), what's your motivation to finish it? I'd work on new clients first if I'm not being rushed on the already-paid job.

He took the insurance money and spent it on cocaine and has been dicking you around for the past 2 years cause he knows you won't do shit about it.

>getting friends to work on house repairs
Bad move. Almost as bad as lending money to family and expecting it back.

>upfront payment
The problem right there.

Already got paid so no incentive to finish and places everything else first. All you can do is go get it and sue for some money back for the unfinished portion. If you try to force him to finish he'll do some crap work and call it done. This shit is ridiculously common in bodyshops.

Never really liked the Kent wheels and the US spec bumpers from that era, but looks cool otherwise, is it a 6 or 12 cyl?

Six.
Yea he also does rental car repair so every one that comes in goes infront of mine.
That's what I was thinking was going on.
Im just pretty beta and don't like throwing a fit but I might have to.