So I want a Ram 2500 6.7 w/ manuel. Since it'll be a daily my primary concern is mileage...

So I want a Ram 2500 6.7 w/ manuel. Since it'll be a daily my primary concern is mileage. The problem is I would need it to make 19 mpg just to cost me the same as my current (gas) daily in $/mile. Most reviews I've read only see 12-15 mpg without towing anything. Companies that make delete (egr/dpf) kits claim I can get closer to 20 with their kits, and tuners claim 20-25.

Would those numbers be a realistic expectation for daily mixed city/highway driving? Is it feasible to do a delete, and get 2 reliable tunes (one performance, one mpg) + whatever additional parts for less than $1000, and hit at least 20mpg daily?

Also will aforementioned performance tune/mods make the truck blow smoke? I'm okay with a small puff on a downshift, but I don't want to roll coal everywhere.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eCGoA-dZBzo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Get a Hemi truck with cylinder deactivation. Unless you need the massive tow rating the diesel really isn't worth the extra initial purchase costs and extra maintenance costs.

>buying a newer vehicle to save money
shiggy diggy.

I would love to get a V8 truck and call it a day, but the only trucks made with a stick in the last decade are gas V6s (which I have), stripped down 4-cyls (which I don't want), and the 2500 Cummins.

The 6.7 gets shitty mileage without full deletes, which are "Technically" illegal. If your area has any kind of inspections, you won't get a 6.7 to get that kind of mileage.

Will it get decent mileage when deleted and tuned? Yeah, sure. Is it worth the extra grand? That's up to you. If you want a newer truck then it's your only real option. If you're okay with an older truck...

The 5.9 however, with conservative driving, will.

2007 was the last year of the 5.9, and trucks were switched to 6.7s halfway through the 2007 model year.

I'm hunting for a 2007 right now.

Doesn't have to be newer; 2011+ will work fine.

I live in Louisiana. I don't think we have that strict of inspections huh? Definitely nothing close to Cali.

Pls don't get a Mega Cab

I'm not sure when they stopped doing manual in the V8 trucks. I thought they still did but perusing the Ram website looks like I'm mistaken.

5 speed 5.2 v8
$1725
20+ mpg
epa can suck it

>5.2
>20+mpg
Liar.

The Colorado was offered with a V8 and manual until 2012 I believe, but they're fucking impossible to find.

but why

megacabs so neat.

Yeah fuck it then. Just make sure to read up on the 6.7. It has a few issues but nothing that major as far as I know. Once the deletes are done it's not a crazy big deal. Stock clutch blows.

It's not going to save you any money. It might save you a little at the pump but maintenance will cost more and it has def which is another expense every 5k miles. If you want it for the power or capability that's one thing but it won't save you money.

Believe what you want I guess - that's with idling around in 4th a lot. Benefits of a stick.

I want it because I want a vehicle that's
>truck/SUV
>not a gas 4 or 6-cyl
>manuel
>2010+

What would I be looking at maintenance wise, if I do oil changes myself? $50 every 5k miles doesn't seem like a major expense for DEF.

>What would I be looking at maintenance wise,
Diesel engines with Manual trans will outlive you.
The driveline is the problem.

Why not a legendary 5.9 cummins? or a 7.3 powerstroke? What does a newer vehicle get you? More expensive shit that fails. Throw in an aftermarket radio for aux and you're good.

>powerstroke
Come on now, do you hate him or something?

I had a 5.2. It was an auto but I seriously never got near 20 mpg.

I love manuals but manual full size trucks are kinda pointless? They can easily go 600,000 without any issue

Nope, V8 didn't get the manual.

I agree a modern full-size truck with a manual is kind of silly, but I can't get a midsize truck that fits my requirements anymore.

>not respecting the 7.3
kys kid.

I respect shit that works

Thanks, I was misinformed then.

The automatic trans wasn't the greatest but the engine is mostly bulletproof.

>manual full size trucks are kinda pointless
How so?

Why don't you stop being a poorfag and get a bmw x6

Can you tell me why you would need a manual in the first place? I love manuals but these full size trucks don't even need it

600,000 miles with little to no service even dealing with heavy loads? The manuals on these full size trucks are nothing compared to commercial vehicles

>need
Get fucked Commie
USA USA USA USA USA USA
youtube.com/watch?v=eCGoA-dZBzo

I don't get the "don't need it" statement. Please explain your reasoning behind this. Manual in a full size is good for several things the most important of which is being able to regulate engine braking fully.

Having a manual on these trucks are just shit

That's his decision to make

>Manual in a full size is good for several things

In other applications but the manuals on these full size trucks are shit. You will ruin the clutch multiple times in 600,000 miles; more on heavy or light usage

>You will ruin the clutch multiple times in 600,000 miles
Who cares? You can slam shift those gearboxes all day long.

>n other applications but the manuals on these full size trucks are shit
Explain to me what you think the difference in a dry clutch manual commercial vehicle is vs a dry clutch manual in a full size truck

But it's boring? It's not a proper commercial stick shift.

Beefier internals and more gear choices

>But it's boring?
That's not really the point.
These drivetrains will work for decades on factory parts.
Ram slushboxes will go for about 160k miles. My dad is about at 130 and it's starting to give out.

Uuuuuuuuuhm

Chrysler transmissions.

Manual or nothing. The automatic transmissions do not hold up in the diesel trucks.

>These drivetrains will work for decades on factory parts.

Decades? For towing? You are going to burn the stupid thing especially on grades

>Ram slushboxes

You are confusing the shitty 42RLE for the robust 6.

You really don't know the difference between the transmissions of gas and diesel trucks

>the automatic transmissions do not hold up in the diesel trucks.
>300,000 miles+ on heavy towing

You are confusing the shitty gas ram transmissions. Ford also an equally robust tranny for its full size diesel models

>Decades? For towing?
You won't be towing 24/8

>You are going to burn the stupid thing especially on grades
Manuals can function without clutches.

>You are confusing the shitty 42RLE for the robust 6.

What do you mean?

>What do you mean?

A very clear distinction between that shitty 42RLE and the automatics used for diesels

Dunno what slushbox is in it. It's a Cummins if that matters.

20th century Chrysler automatic transmission are particularly terrible

No? The 48RE is fucking garbage, and the 68 isn't that much better. One of the first "Must do" upgrades on these trucks is upgraded shift solenoids and billet internal parts. If you start adding power, they say you should build the transmission before adding ANY power over stock.

They are fucking garbage. I don't know what dodges you are driving, but every transmission they make short of the newer aisin transmission is garbage.

>Cummins

Doubtful but most likely the TorqueFlite series that were shit

>68 isn't that much better.

You mean how the tranny can last as long as the truck?

> If you start adding power

The manual can withstand the higher horsepower but only for a short period before clutch issues. Trying to burn coal at a strip or something?

>but every transmission

Only the diesel ones are good the rest are terrible. But a non commercial manual diesel truck for towing? That's asking for trouble

>So I want a Ram 2500 6.7 w/ manuel. Since it'll be a daily my primary concern is mileage.
Why are you getting a truck as a daily and worrying about it's mileage, if you are using it as a simple commuter and care about mileage you are retarded use a car.
If you are using it as a work truck and are sweating the mileage charge more money to offset your gas cost. If you work for someone who requires you to use your own work truck, doesn't reimburse you for mileage and is paying you low enough that you are sweating the mileage, get a new job.

We have a couple 6.7 Cummins work trucks, they get horrible mileage. The 5.9s are far better in that regard. If you want something newer than 07, a diesel, and decent mileage, then you need to look at Duramax or Powerstroke.

>what is a multipurpose vehicle
The whole point of having a daily is that it does all of my day to day stuff (getting from A to B), as well as the stuff I need it to do every couple weeks (hauling). A dirt cheap econobox can get me from A to B, but I can't load a SBC in the trunk or haul 4 guys and their camping gear.

An SUV would fit the A to B and probably hauling requirements, but the only manual SUVs are Jeeps, which are 1) gas V6s, 2) not recommended for normal highway passing speeds, and 3) Jeeps.

Why not a Subaru wagon? Or a Volvo? If you can't fit whatever you're hauling in the back of a Volvo wagon it's too damn big anyway.

>muh diesel
don't fall for this meme

They're both gas 6ers at best. I want at least a gas V8 or diesel straight/V6.

You can't afford a shitbox to go with your big ass truck? For real?

Learn to read the posts faggot. I would fucking love a midsize truck made in the last decade with a stick, gas V8, and 4WD. Give me that and I'd be good on vehicles until I'm 45 buying a C14 Corvette. But they're nowhere to be found. So the next best thing is a full-size truck with a stick, diesel I6, and 4WD.

How does that have anything to do with your main complaint of having to replace the clutch often?

I agree, there's still no way you are getting 20 mpg with the 5.2. I'd be surprised if you got 18.

It's a damn shame they never put the S80/XC90 V8 in a wagon.