/agdg/ • Amateur Game Development General • Aggy Daggy • Just Like Make Game

Optimized Edition // Previous Thread: This is a thread for amateur and aspiring and amateur game developers and anyone interested in the field.
The OP you're used to is here:
>pastebin.com/geTiMLWZ

Even older helpful links can be found at:
>alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/

Live chats can be found at:
>steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
>webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

NEWS:
• Space Jam! It's over in a matter of hours. Get your pixel RPGs in NOW!
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam

• Final Demo Day Nine is complete! No one won. It was (Not) a competition.
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

• The first ever Demo Day Ten begins at some point ever.
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

• Beta /AGDG/ Website
tools.aggydaggy.com/#

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z5El-yYNUwU
wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/IsVisibleFrom
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why does this thread attract so many autismos

there is no hope
I'm not going to make it
no one here is going to make it

It's very visually empty and the star field effect doesn't work at that low a speed. it doesn't look like motion blur from going @ INCREDIBL HIHG SPED, it looks like laser beam projectiles or something. either make them go way faster or use normal dots for the stars

make it where user?

>he's probably going to come to this thread now and fill it with schizophrenic shitposting

can't wait

progress

>11 hours left
>still adding features to game
WE'RE GOING TO MAKE IT

OG warp drive a best

why does your game not look like this?

youtube.com/watch?v=z5El-yYNUwU
daily reminder you can be this good! in two years!!!

ganbatte desu

new game idea:
ape escape clone hentai game

gape escape

capture buttholes with your massive dong controlled with right analogue stick

11 hours left for what

because im not using UE4 and provided UE4 engine features like motion blur and particle systems

I would like to know how many of those assets you can find on the internet to buy/download. Still impressive though.

Thanks a lot.

Does this look any better?

I was afraid the faster it went the more confusing it would be, but maybe that's not true. And this does feel more intense.

Because I'm not making a weebshit game

Space jam but it's actually 13 hours left.

idk some shit no one cares

seems ok. add some color like in the actual Star Trek warp sequences (or literally every good warp sequence in any movie that had one) and it's all set

So, agdg, have you ever reached a poin where you open your game to work on it, and you feel you hate it from just seeing it?
I that normal? I'm just burning out after working too much on it?

I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Thanks again!

you should maybe reserve that level of intensity for bossfights or something

nah its because
>pixelshit

its 2016 ojiichan

all the nice looking bits have to do with motion blur and particle effects, and im not really using those things, so i guess thats why

the actual models look pretty plain

statistically, what are my chances of making it?

smells like jelly

That's pretty distracting if it's supposed to be going the whole game but it looks a million percent better than the first time you showed it.

0%

I swear I've read and re-read this paper on ray-NURBS intersections a dozen times but I don't understand a thing

I'm doing something like that but 2D
And not nearly as juicy

hitler should have won

>raytracing
>for games

yeah that happens

just work on something else for a while

0 out of 1

two bombs werent enough

I was gonna disagree but then i saw the post bellow.

12 hours till space jam end
which retarded made the jam? ending it at the same time sunday ends? seriously? this way nobody will plays those games beceuase everyone will be at work and sleeping and shit
jams and demo days should always end their submissions on fridays

Battlefield: Black Sun when?

judy is not degenerate

I've always struggled with math and it took a lot of studying for me to pass classes on linear algebra and computer graphics (quaternions and rasterization)

but once I entered the corporate world as a wage slave I lost so much of what I worked so hard to attain

even if it runs like a potato, I want to do it

the entire ground/background/sun etc. is one thing, and I believe the enemies are. I think the main character and particles and stuff are original

if you are a wage slave your only choice is unity or ue4 or rpgmaker anyway since they are fast enough to make a game in your limited wageslave free time and only require simple algebra and vector math skillz to work with

>just work on something else for a while
Yeah, guess I should take a rest sometimes, have been working on this nonstop since DD9.
Maybe work on it one week, work on something else the next week, then go back to it the next one, and so on.

alright well at least heed this: path tracing is a meme designed to add as much noise as possible, and the lowest discrepancy pattern possible is a regular grid

My game currently has two enemies in it, so I'm really just going all intensity all the time as much as possible to try and give my shit game a little pizazz.

That said, yeah, I wouldn't recommend playing it in a dark room with epilepsy.

Thanks! If I make a finished post-jam version there will likely be several levels and not all with this level of intensity.

The lighting and environment is also pretty good.

Really there's so much more to making a game look good other than just "good models" it's fucking ridiculous, you fuckers lied to me that I could get by with just programming and low poly models, but I also have to learn like a million lighting and camera tricks, color schemes, post processing effects and dozens others.

I've done 48 hour game jams in my student days, so I'm confident that as long as I can retain interest and focus on the project I can at least have something to show for my efforts

oh i thought you were talking about normal game dev, not jams, jams are easy, real game dev is hard due to its massive time commitment

The worst part about nodevving is that it gets increasingly embarassing when you have nothing to show after such a long time.

Anyways, targeting system now takes distance and visibility into account. If anyone else needs to figure out whether a renderer is visible to the main camera, because converting to screen or viewport space didn't work: wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/IsVisibleFrom

I made it, but I might delete it. In addition to the gameplay bugs, there's almost no juice when the ball actually hits the paddle, which is a crime in a Pong game billed as "maximum overjuiced".

Anyone up for some free textures?
Wanna practice substance designer, post your requests

arizona desert

Vaginal walls please.

this would be something else I think, not really a jam, but not a normal game either

I just want to regain the skills I've lost, and then continue on from where my schooling stopped

so more of an educational project

>substance designer
So I'm guessing those textures will be used for high poly/realistic stuff or do you also do stuff like pic related ?

You can. I've seen people getting pretty good results trying to imitate hand painted textures, although haven't attempted it myself.

>can paint textures like that
>can't model and hate doing UV for anything more than a cube
Why live

It doesn't work like that, amateur game dev is all about passion. if you do it only to learn shit then you will burn out incredibly fast and fail.
Learning in game dev should always be simply a side effect of you doing a hobby you love, if that isn't the case then trust me, save yourself the time and disappointment and pick up something else you enjoy.

Are you ready for takeoff?

>can't paint textures like that
>can model and don't mind doing UV
Why li-

wait a minute

uhh *cough* im sick

ill hand it in tomorrow i promise mrs smith!! ;)

me irl

DELET THIS

What's the best engine for someone who wets the bed

When you code something all day without testing and it works perfectly the first time you compile, then find a fatal bug months later.

>Americans kill their astronauts in batches of 7
>Soviets never once killed someone through their shuttle program

:^))))))

That's hot

darkbasic

>Soviets never once killed someone through their shuttle program

For the people who don't get it: Soviet Shuttle knockoff was unmanned only, but plenty of Soviet cosmonauts died in the early days of Soyuz

>That's hot
t-thanks
would you like to change my diapers

just googled it and it seems pretty robust, cool

DarkBASIC is too much work for novice devs and too limiting for experienced coders. If you're in that sweet spot, it might be worth checking out, but you should know that the program was last updated in the Bush administration.

There's a few engines out there made specifically for certain genres and small teams. Ren'Py for VNs, RPG Maker for JRPGs, GZDoom for FPSes. Outside of those, you're stuck with the big 3 general purpose engines, Game Maker, Unreal and Unity, all of which are free and incredibly well documented. And yes

anyone here familiar with allegro 5?

why might a call to al_init() fail (thus returning 0)?

>unmanned only
No, it wasn't. Buran could be flown by pilots (and had additional crew compartment for up to 10 people total), but it was capable of automatic operations too.

Soyuz isn't a shuttle, it's a usual rocket "ship".

I have a lot of experience with primitive 3d engines (from the old DOOM/Marathon days up until like 2007-ish) and did BASIC for robotics way back. I really hate coding, but I've found that I can definitely do it if I have access to documentation and the end result is actually fun to have made (which, for me at least, it usually isnt, because I personally do not like coding that much)
honestly I am probably not going to look into this DarkBASIC stuff; it doesn't seem to have much advantage over more modern equivalents like HTMP5 era JS or using Flash, but it itself is interesting as an object

>And yes

>No, it wasn't.
Yes, it was. No human being ever flew an orbital mission on the Buran.

Forgot the other dumb part of your post.
>Soyuz isn't a shuttle, it's a usual rocket "ship".
The word you're looking for is capsule, and no shit it isn't a shuttle. What does that have to do with anything?

Should UI rendering make use of hardware depth buffering or simply do sorting and handle ordering of draw commands itself? Are gpu commands guaranteed to be ordered?

"draw them all and let god sort it out"
-patton or something

Added the functionality for the wizard's eye spell, though I don't have the actual spell in yet (I need the concept of "party status effects" first).

The spell makes dots on the minimap appear. Friendlies are green, enemies are red, pickups are blue, and chests are brown. Not sure if I'll leave chests in or not. Maybe they'll only be visible at Master level casting (and pickups might be only be at Expert level).

>her's

>motion blur

>a boots
eh?

>Lost Soul Aside
>100k already
he made it, he will get his game developed and make billions

repostan

Somebody save me.

whats that

spoiler that shit dude

If I constantly draw assets of games I won't finish or haven't even started, am I still just an ideaguy? I mean all I do is technically come up with ideas but at least I make art for some of my ideas, right... Right?

You're a drawfag

this will come in handy

Loot get!

nice trauma centre clone

(no, really, i like this)

>no programmer
I'm not convinced by whatever "put it to code" means.

>
I've been struggling a lot with my anxiety and depression lately, and this has impacted my ability to work on Battle of the Heart. I'm sorry for that, truly. Instead I've switched to focusing a lot of my time to One Last Cup and making sure that we can get that in front of as many eyes as possible. To that end we had a fantastic PAX East showing of the demo of it, and Alex is now back and getting the public release of the demo ready.

New programming idea (not necessarily a game): build a web bot that simulates one of these people down to generating interesting hair colors, mental diseases and periodic histrionic meltdowns. It would be fun.

>unreal engine
>blank project
>export windows build
>600 mb
>for a blank project
dropped

Am I good at pixel art yet?

it means "find something for it on the Unity Asset Store"

Not wide enough.

That's basically every single thing I do. I get way too frustrated and give up every time I step outside of my comfort zone.

I could tell who that sprite meant to represent without reading the filename so I'd say yeah.
Fix her bangs though.