I have a 91 318is, but the muffler is shot, and the catalytic converter is welded to it

I have a 91 318is, but the muffler is shot, and the catalytic converter is welded to it.

What are some options I have as far as after-market for a nice but not rice-burner sound

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RRtZlUKPx2g
r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=256359
realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=BA73-USA---E30-BMW-318i&diagId=11_0504
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It is a project but I dont want to do everything at once

I bought some titanium silver for it, i think it will look nice

The engine needs top end work, it taps and sounds like the timing chain is loose?

It needs an interior badly, but the car is pretty much original, even original radio.

paint job and just keep it running

Thats the plan, but the muffler is rusted off basically, need a good system

Hope that it's the chain. Pray it's not the valves

Straight pipe. Trust me, it sounds really nice

>catalytic converter welded to muffler
i think you are confused

Yeah that doesn't make sense, and certainly isn't OEM at that.

I've never met a an overhead cam that didn't make tapping noises.

my co worker has a 91. hes a bmw enthusiast he told me the motor in the E30's is nicknamed the "sewing machine" because it taps

Well, the coupling was cut off the converter and welded to the pipe to the first and second muffler, making one giant system from the manifold, and its rusted to hell and falling down from the crappy hangers they put on

thats how its supposed to look. please post pictures so i can better verify

Well my friend has a 90 with the m42 and it doesnt tap at all, this one sounds like a diesel and i think i hear the chain wringing about

His engine is probably fucked up.

I took it off the manifold so it wont drag but you can see its welded to the pipe

This is true. They always tap, its just their nature.

that looks stock
thats not the muffler either thats the resonator i think

Don't ask for real advice here. Just go to r3vlimited.

just chop it all off senpai.

does the engine sound like this?

youtube.com/watch?v=RRtZlUKPx2g

I seen other E30 the converter is connected to the front muffler using a coupling, the larger tube there is what the previous owner replaced the resonator with

Yes exactly, sometimes i dont even think oil is getting to the valve train,

ok cool, you have one thing to try before giving up and going with the $400 timing chain overhaul: replace the timing chain tensioner. it's like $40 and super easy to replace, and may fix your problems.

it did not fix my problems, and pic related is what happened to my engine shortly after. the idler sprocket broke right off of the timing case.

happened to this guy too:

r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=256359

though he was driving. mine happened when starting the car.

Straight pipe it, and the tapping is probably just lifter noise.

mine.

your oil light will come on if you're not getting oil to the valve train, and it will sound more like tapping than the awful sound my youtube video makes.

oh and one more thing- if you're on a completely original car I assume it's been in storage for a while. if your oil light stays on for a few more seconds than it should when starting the car OR you get valve-related tapping noises after driving for a bit, you might have the factory oil pressure relief valve in there. well it's shitty and they updated it at some point.

realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=BA73-USA---E30-BMW-318i&diagId=11_0504

parts 5-8. either the new one or the old one is made of nylon; I forget which, but they fail and can starve your car of oil (but not catastrophically afaik).

Ouch, did you weld it back on?

no, new m42.

Flowmaster the fucker.
They're cheap and as long as you keep the cats on it it's not going to sound like a fucking shitter.