Why do we let doctors get away with having a monopoly on healthcare...

Why do we let doctors get away with having a monopoly on healthcare? Didn't anyone ever think that maybe with a monopoly the quality of services would go down and price would go up, like with every other monopoly?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2742137/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

When you get cancer you go to a """" doctor"""" that will give you """" medical"""" herbs that will heal you

Be the change you want to see user

Eh, currently most people with two brain cells don't waste time learning how to provide medical services proficiently without getting the relevant licence, since to employ those skills, or even practice the skills, would be illegal. The fact that said exclusive licence exists at all actually deters the general public who aren't willing to front hundreds of thousands of dollars and 8 years of time from learning anything about medicine to begin with.

>Why do we require that people who take others' lives into their hands to make money have an extensive education on how to do so?

People have a bigger impact on the cost of health insurance than doctors do. They go to to ERs when they have a belly ache. It costs us billions every year.

>It costs us billions every year.

because theres a monopoly on healthcare, retard

>People have a bigger impact on the cost of health insurance than doctors do. They go to to ERs when they have a belly ache. It costs us billions every year.
People only do that shit because ER can't say no and they don't have the money to afford actually going to a doctor who can refuse them. Its almost like if we had more people who could provide medical services we wouldn't have this problem because the price of getting your stomach ache looked at by someone would be reasonable.

>>Why do we require that people who take others' lives into their hands to make money have an extensive education on how to do so?
Here have a study where they found midwives at home kill less babies than doctors in a hospital birthing scenario

Sry to interrupt you on your tour de triumph but there is an armada of doctors ordering tests for every bullshit they can think of. Most time its because they are stupid as fuck.

Pg 2

You are right. It is a monopoly.

Its because in human society its always automatically assumed that the more you know (or rather forced to learn in med school) makes you a better doctor - which is completely bullshit. Experience is what counts, not theoretical book knowledge. If a kid was trained in medicine from 5 years old, he or she would be good as any adult doctor by the time they were 18 years old. But NOOO, you wouldn't want a 18 year old doctor to treat your medical condition because the system has ingrained in your brain that older doctors = more experienced and that your health is assured because they have a fancy med school degree to alleviate your misplaced worries.

I can guarantee you 80% of the doctors that get churned out from med school are just in it for the money and don't give a shit about improving anyones lives. Its only the 20% of doctors who make a difference. Same could be said for any line of work.

We don't.

At least most people do palliative without a doctor. That's what nurses are for. Care homes, etc.

First Aid is available for all people and most people know how to treat minor wounds and illness. You don't go to the doctor for a sore throat because you know how to do that.

Doctors only really deal with the major things.

this could be a chicken or the egg thing 95% CI isn't enough for me to make me say something with certainty.
It could simply be due to candidates for midwifery, are easier and more straightforward births with less morbity risks while those more likely to be hospitalized include the more at risk group.

Indeed. Though if it allays your dubiousness, the midwife-at-hospital group were all eligible for home birth instead based on risk assessment, and yet the at home group still had less deaths. Which at face value is weird because you'd think hospital = more resources available, teams of doctors and surgeons around the corner = less dead babies.
You can read the thing here if you want: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2742137/

also I'm pretty sure if I read it correctly they restricted hospital+doctor births to ones with a similar risk profile to the at home births

I'm still on the side of midwifery.
Many doctors have time constraints that a midwife will never have. There is only so much screaming women someone can take.
Also doctors in general have an air of arrogance surrounding them, which bolstered by other physicians can lead to a bad culture.
Its not as bad with physicians as in other professions b/c life and death is pretty cut and dry.
but I'd rather a humble person with tight constraints work than someone with few limitations and a bit of under judiciousness.

>Why do we let doctors get away with having a monopoly on healthcare? Didn't anyone ever think that maybe with a monopoly the quality of services would go down and price would go up, like with every other monopoly?

Because we need some sort of standards...?

>Go to doctor
>He's some rando
>Misdiagnoses you
>Suffer serious side effects of drugs he prescribes
>turns out all he did was watch the biology courses on Khanacademy and had absolutely no medical background at all

yeah seems really great

Mm
anyway I'm generally of the opinion that society would be better served if there were more medical practitioners, and that this could be achieved by a system where when you go to one they legally have to be honest about their training, qualifications, past performance and so on, and you're allowed to purchase their services (and they to provide them) so long as the only person at risk is you, regardless of licensure.
Also that professional licencing results in higher prices//less competition in said profession, while doing little or nothing to improve the quality of services provided.

I haven't been to the doctor in 5 years. They are mostly scammers trying to peddle useless drugs on you for a nice kickback. Just look up your symptoms on webmd and you'll be fine most of the time.

coming from a doctor in a country with universal free healthcare
people still go to the ER with trivial shit (in droves) even though its free to see a regular GP at a walk in clinic
half of them also call an ambulance to bring them

this guy is right
hospitals have a lot more high risk patients
and those who choose to have a home birth are usually much more knowledgeable, educated and put more effort into having a healthy pregnancy and baby

Canada?

What kind of doctor can cure my brain of all this hate?