So I've been looking into getting a Golf GTI...

So I've been looking into getting a Golf GTI, and i was wondering if there is anything that I should look out for when buying used. Also if these cars are expensive to maintain. Any help would be appreciated.

Also general volkswagen thread

They are expensive to maintain. You should look out for the fact that you can get to 75 mph in second gear, so you won't be banging through the gears at speed.

75 is a little bit exaggerated, and why is that a bad thing anyway? It makes traffic easier and if you're planning on tuning the engine it makes your 0-60 a lot quicker.

im honestly stuck between getting a golf gti or a 4runner. I've heard both are pretty reliable

Those are such different cars though? The GTI is fun and sport while the 4runner is just a big sluggish boring car that gets bad gas mileage...

i know, its weird. I'm more interested in a GTI for that fun aspect, but I was looking at a 4runner for practicality, not caring about the bad gas mileage. I currently drive a miata so being slow is something I am used to.

I'd say a gti is more practical than a 4Runner.

If you're getting the gti look for a nice mkv

>comparing a GTI to an SUV
>comparing a VW to a Toyota in reliability
>deducing that the VW is "pretty reliable"

You're a fucking moron.

The only time owning a VW makes sense is when you buy new/cpo or lease. You have to sell if before the warranty is up.

If you're looking for fun reliable practicality I would like to suggest looking at the Civic Si. It meets the criteria of a GTI with added reliability.

>fwd

With literally half the torque.

SI's are fun until you drive almost anything else in it's class. None the least a GTI.

Coming from someone with obviously no experience driving either.
They both come with a limited slip and are equally capable on the twisties. On paper the GTI might sound more fun but the way it's geared compared to an Si makes it boring. The Si has super short quick gears with a super high rev limiter where as the GTI has ridiculously long gears that take fucking forever to get going.
This makes an Si far more engaging as well. On the same road where you can just stay in 2nd in a GTi, you're forced to actually shift between 2nd 3rd and 4th in an Si.

If you are under 30, get the Si. Teenage panties fall off around them.

If you are a grown up, get the GTI, only get with the 6MT. Grown up women like them because they aren't a pretentious rice burner, and they don't have to compete with their teenage daughters.

The choice is simple when you factor in the Pussy Principle.

I went with the GTI, and I've never looked back...

Sure, the GTI's gears are boring and the SI's are manic. That's preference at best.

>GTI 0-60 5.8s
>SI 0-60 6.7s
>GTI 258 lb-ft
>SI 174 lb-ft

Also, numbers. GTI is just a better driving car.

If you are a retard and decide on a car based solely on the amount of pussy you'll pull, follow this guy's advice.

Ahh, but that's just it. Will OP follow his balls, or will he buy the better car? The Pussy Principle is a real thing, especially on pussy starved boards like Veeky Forums. How else would you explain the proliferation of FiST/FoST threads?

>GTI is just a better driving car
This is also just preference at best.
I have owned both, and prefer the Si. Like said, the GTi is for boring old people. Plus, anyone who goes off numbers just provides further evidence they really don't know what they're talking about.

There is an objective truth, and that is that the Si is objectively much, MUCH more reliable and cheaper to maintain than the GTI could ever hope to be.

just looking for something that wont break my wallet when i have to take out a car loan while in college. trying to find a decent balance between reliability and practicality while also remaining kinda fun. Honestly i couldn't see myself owning a honda and i like the idea of owning a volkswagen more.

i'll probably end up getting something completely different to be honest, especially since the majority of these comments lean towards GTI's being unreliable. I think I mistook them as a reliable car since it had a VW badge on it.

Also, just to add onto this guys comment. The Si absolutely kills it in the aftermarket game. They're so easy to tune and customize it's crazy. So many different manufactures for every part you could ever want.
Although I have heard some really good things about how much power the new GTi's can make with just a tune.

>I mistook them as a reliable car since it had a VW badge on it
What the fuck am I reading?

I've literally heard that volkswagens are reliable.

I'm also probably entirely wrong.

Just shutup and buy a Miata like every other poor college kid.

Jokes on you I already own a miata

That's where I ended up. The GTI just seemed like a car I could see my self in. It's fun, powerful, practical, and mature.

SI's feel manic and childish, they rev like crazy, and are styled like a military aircraft or something. Good cars, cheaper and more reliable, but not a car I wanted to drive every day.

Lol nice. Nevermind then, continue.

You've really come to the wrong place for objective reasoning once you put VW in to the mix. it is the most popular passenger car on the planet, and it didn't get that way from being unreliable, despite what the teenagers on Veeky Forums tell you. The choice is yours, and yours alone. Buying new, you get the same warranty, regardless of your choice. If you go with the Si, expect that it will not give you the clout that the GTI will. That's just a fact. You may not want, or even understand that now. But, it will become clearer the older you get.

I sell cars. Toyotas specifically. Thank you, you get it. You understand

>implying GTIs aren't the ultimate boy racer car

GTIs are cars for insufferable cunts here in germany. It's either Malte the law student living from his dads money, Torben the 50 year old dad in his midlife crisis but his wife won't let him get a roadster, or Kevin driving a blacked out one who's either on Hartz IV or in the Bundeswehr.
I don't like the Golf and it's divers, but you have to decide.

I've seen plenty of Honda fan boys giving head to their custom vapes.