Am 18 and my parents insist on getting me a 20k car for collage

am 18 and my parents insist on getting me a 20k car for collage.

But all I want is an eg civic to customise.

I have wanted a EG civic with spoon wheels and a front lip ever since I was 12.

What should I do?

I don't really want them buying me a 20k car I just want my dream car.

I know the picture I posted is not an EG btw.

Listen to them, skippy. You're there to learn, not fuck around with your car.

When you gaduate and have a job you can afford to screw around with cars.

This. Be smart, don't be a retard

>I have wanted a EG civic with spoon wheels and a front lip ever since I was 12.
yeah that sounds about right

>I have wanted a EG civic with spoon wheels and a front lip ever since I was 12.

so how about you just come out the closet?

So, since last year?

Get the reliable car from your parents, finish school, and then buy the shitbox to sink your money into when you're paying for it.
You'll soon realise that it's not worth the hassle.

Tell them that you just want an old civic since insurance is cheap and they're reliable cars for the money. Once they fall for that tell them to pay part of your college fees with the leftover money. That way you can spend any money you earn from a part-time job on car parts and your parents are none the wiser about your true intentions.

>Civic
>Reliable

Nice meme.

They are good racing cars though.

>Veeky Forums suddenly turns into the listen up youngster" bullshit

Fuckin hypocrites
OP do this

I'm too old for your shit. Fuck off.

Im sure you can talk them into it.

Get the modern Civic hatch

>Fiesta ST

>collage
Seems like flipping burgers is a better fit for your intellect

What?

Just get an actual car, not some Honda shit

Pic related, you can get a used 5 series or an MKZ for that price

>BMW
No thanks

Just get a nice new Corolla, Yaris, Fiesta, or Sonic Turbo. You can buy an EG when you graduate

I highly doubt that bmw has low miles, it's probably due for a major service.

Do you really wanna take advice from someone who slapped Dee Barnes?

Just get a nice easy to drive car. Like a Camry or something. Don't wreck your shit before you learn the ins and outs first hand.

>BMW reliable in any way shape or form past e34
This is shit post right

Whatchu say?

I agree with
You're there to learn, especially if your parents are paying. That's their hard earned money, so you shouldn't be willing to get anything less than a 3.5 and shouldn't be willing to follow a degree that can't eventually help you pay them back in full. Even if they don't want it.

Too much time on your hands? Follow an internship, study more, take another class. This is supposed to be the worst four years of your fucking life. I had to pay and work full time for and during college, and I hated that shit, it's awful. Your loving parents are getting you a 20k car for college, better love them for it.

On that note, it depends on what you want, but Econobox/motorcycle>SUV>used luxury sedan>>>>>>coupe in college.

Holy shit fuck off.
You people give horrible advice

Oh yeah, I say to follow an internship or take other classes because the people who actually get their foot in the door in college are going to be the ones who graduate with jobs. The reason so many college graduates can't find work is because they partied the entire time, graduated with a 2.4, and were not a part of any clubs, internships, or have anything in their resume relating to an actual job or career field outside of the degree they slept through school for.

None of this would stop someone from owning the car they want instead of being miserable.

>tells op to focus on grades
>doesn't agree with buying a money sink while eating ramen in an already high stress environment
Sure is bad advice. Only thing wrong is him saying not to get a couple but to each their own honestly. Either focus on gas mileage or focus on room to store shit but don't get something that has no room and barely any significant gas mileage over say a corolla or camry. Honestly though I'd say a bike would work best if you want easy parking plus you can ride between classes instead of walking a mile because again, no parking.

What's wrong didn't think I remembered?

It's really not that bad, having an EG would probably let him feel better about his situation.
College is not as dire as you think it is.
Also: Is the best idea here

>I want a civic to customise
I can already see the shitty attrocity you will create, pls, if you have no prior experience in the field, or any field where you get to use a variety of handtools, just stop and get a car they give you, then hobby out some shitbox for modding when you have income.

Otherwise you'll just end up another faggot who gets their shitty tacky little pussycart on the front page of /r/shittycarmods and even redditors get to laugh at you.

do it OP

If I were you, I'd be pretty happy about a free 20k car m8

Stop projecting and let OP be happy and save money
>if you don't know how to do it you shouldn't try to learn

Looks like 12 year old OP is back again. Nobody is going to be miserable if they have a set of wheels in college. There's thousands of college students out there that pray they could afford a 77 pinto to beat the shit out of for a couple years until they can get out of college and get their first jobs. Trust me man, I was a mechanic through college, and I used to slay hot desperate pussy just because they wanted simple shit like oil changes free labor because most college students are poor as shit. Let your parents buy you a decent set of wheels (if you are OP) and stop crying that you don't get to mod a 4 banger. There are so many vehicles out there that you can get for 20 grand that will blow any modded civic the fuck away. That or ask for a cheap (~7g) car/bike and for them to invest the rest or leave it in an account for you. You're going to need cash when you get out of college too, you know.

>wants an eg
>posts a ek

man, there are so many good cars you can get with 20k. i got my e39 m5 for 19.5. plenty of e46 m3s for like 14-17k too.

Exactly you moron. So let him get the civic and save 15-18k
Your advice makes no sense, you people act like he's trying to get a porsche 944 from the 80s

He doesn't want a civic for 5k. He wants a civic for 5k that he can dump 10k in for mods.

Who says? Stop projecting

>op is humble enough to only want an eg civic
>parents are offering 20k
>people act like this is a bad thing and that he should spend it all in one go on some shitbox he hates instead of the car he enjoys while still being able to save that money

I'm happy I'm not miserable and isn't decide to get into cars when it was already almost top late like Veeky Forums did
Fuckin morons.

>but all I want is a civic EG to customize
Says right there in OP.
>customize

Not true, When I was 19 I had 10k for a car that I was going to buy for collage...

My dick head parents ripped me off and I was down to 5k so I never even bothered to get my license.

I hate when people go "Once you have the freedom of driving you forget about what kind of car you want"
which is bullshit
All I think is "Yeah, I can drive a car but it's still gay because I can't get out on the track, it's not worth customising and is in bad condition and maintaining when you break things like the clutch and gearbox"

OK and?
Let him .
What advantage is there to postponing it? Do you people even like cars? Is this your hobby or something you felt obligated to do after graduating college.
It's not that much of a distraction
And if he wants to put money into it that's his business.
If he got a kia optima or some shit like you people want he'd probably kill himself
Without a hobby to blow off steam he'll burn out and die in college

you sound like a piece of shit lol. plenty of cool cars you can get for 5k. bought my old e30 325is for 1600, loved that thing for the 5 years i owned it

>I was extremely lucky and will now use this to judge other people

>325is

>good

what are you talking about i was extremely lucky? i bought an e30 for $1600 i saved by working valet in high school. the other dude who 5k and was "ripped off" by his "dickhead" parents is a piece of shit.

you got a better option for a $1600 car? e30s are great, especially as someones first car.

He wanted advice, the advice was "don't do it"

Don't get offended cause someone told the broke kid not to waste what little money he has fumbling around with a used shitbox while he's the most broke he'll ever be. The smart move is to have his parents get his dumb ass a new Accent, a screwdriver and a 10mm wrench. These things will carry him through to graduation day for zero upkeep.

E30s are rare dude, have fun buying any rwd car for under 2500

FUCK THAT
WHY DO YOU BROWSE Veeky Forums?

>people should be denied their hobbies in college
Genius. You really don't get it do you?

i literally just said i bought mine for $1600. granted it was 5 years ago before people started buying them. but ive seen some e30s on craigslist for very reasonable prices. not really sure what youre getting at here

There's nothing to get. They're rare, expensive, 30 year old cars. A much worse purchase than an eg civic for a college student at this point.
Let OP have the civic. It's a good idea.

when did i say he shouldnt get a civic? i would too if i were him, my parents thought i was crazy when i bought my e30 but it was probably the best purchase of my life

get a car that works well fun to ride and will last a long time so once your a struggling young adult and have yo pay for your shit you wont have to worry about a car , atleast until you got your footing

>having an expensive hobby in college

How retarded are you

Just buy something reliable , comfy and with a nice resale value , then buy the EG it's a honda anyways , it's not like they are going to the get more expensive

>what is money management
You shouldn't be on o if cars mean that little to you

>reliable,comfy, nice resale
You just described an EG civic

>buying a new hyundai
>buying an accent
>buying any hyundai besides maybe the genensis coupe

How about no

I think OP should go for a slightly used civic Si or FoST

>BUYING ANY HYUNDAI AT ALL
FTFY
The genesis is garbage

your parents just want a warranty. Buy a nice car from CarMax for at or under 20k and get their warranty. Its covers everything no matter what you get. Some car journalist Doug Demuro has been testing the warranty buying used nightmares like a 2000's land rover and its covered him having to replace the whole air suspension

Bad deal
20k is too much.
LET THEM EAT CIVICS

OP, think about this. It's your parent's money, not yours, therefore it is your parent's choice what they spend their money on, not yours. If they want to drop 20k on a car for you to go to school, it means what THEY want for THEIR money is to get you something that will reliably get you to school and work.

Will an eg do that? If it's in good shape and your "customizations" don't fuck up the inherent reliability of an eg, of course it will. So I think it's alright to ask them for a civic with rims and whatever else you want to "customize" it. But whatever you do to your car, don't shit on your parent's desire for their kid to have a reliable car. What I wouldn't give to have parents that fucking cared for me like it seems yours do for you.

>someone killing themselves because mommy and daddy bought them a different car than what they wanted
Wow, such a loss to this world.

>I know the picture I posted isn't an EG btw
Can't into reading comprehension

sounds like you're the one who's projecting m8.
sounds like it's your dream to "customise" some weak nip shitbox and want op to do it for you

>tfw from /k/
If I don't get to fuck with my hobby in school you don't get to bitch about having to wait to fuck with shitty civics

Say no and buy a cheap, good shitbox