Hello Veeky Forums. /g/ here and I'm starting to consider building a toy...

Hello Veeky Forums. /g/ here and I'm starting to consider building a toy. My dad is a big mechanic himself with a car that has a lot of work done to it.

That said I'm trying to branch into it myself. I'm not completely retarded with cars of course. Pick up quite a bit from watching him. Thinking of getting pic related. I can get my hands on a Crown Vic off of police auction or even just a used car dealership for rather cheap. $4k or so. Is crown vic a car that has decent motor swaps available? Or even just the ability to add on to the existing v8? Like I said this is intended to be a street legal toy.

Other urls found in this thread:

adtr.net/
crownvic.net/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Is crown vic a car that has decent motor swaps available? Or even just the ability to add on to the existing v8?
It's basically the entire drivetrain from a 1996-2004 Ford Mustang GT, so yes. There is a LOT you can do with them.

Try to get a 2003+ car for the updated front suspension.

Just remember. The Crown Vic, due to its weight, and engine platform, is never going to be fast unless you chuck a few thousand dollars at the engine.

>toy
>Crown Vic

I figured total I'd be throwing $10k at the car as a toy. Including the $4k-$5k for the car itself. Is the motor normally aspirated? Turbos available?

I ask because my dad's car has a lot of work done to it. Twin turbos stuffed in a Chevy Monza. Putting close to 550hp at the crank with only 5lbs of boost and pump gas.

I'm a complete beginner really with cars so like where would I start? Just buy the car, beat the piss out of it until something breaks and learn how to fix it? Take it all apart and learn that way?

I mean because just jumping into swapping out stock parts for aftermarket seems drastic.

because I love the way the car looks. Don't ask me why that is. I always have. My father says the same shit. Why? It's a boring cop car. I just love it. Crown Vic like just ripping along almost gets me hard.

crown vic is one of the fastest cars in reverse due to it's high gearing and lack of limiter in reverse.

>Is the motor normally aspirated?
Yes. Police spec models got a 250 HP 4.6L SOHC V8 with 2 valves per cylinder. Normal Civilian variants got a less powerful 200-230 HP version of the same engine.
>Turbos available?
There are supercharger kits available.
adtr.net/
They are one of the best suppliers of aftermarket Crown Vic parts, but they aren't the only ones.

crownvic.net/
This forum is also a fantastic resource for engine building and whatnot.

This as well. They can do 60 MPH in reverse.

>adtr.net
Bands selling car parts? What is going on in this crazy world

holy hell. Why would I want to do 60mph in reverse. Still cool though. And OK, just wanted to make sure what kind of motor the vics were packing. Didn't know if Ford started doing their Eco-boost motors in the Crowns at all.

And I'll take a look at those sites you linked thanks! Last question is the transmission. Cop cars are usually what automatic? My daily driver is auto and I would love to have a stick. Simple trans swap exists? Or what swap would even work?

Would I need an ECU swap as well to run a different trans? Sorry if all these questions are noob-ish but Like I said, beginner.

Ford's police cars are all column shift automatics to leave room in the center console for radio/computer equipment

Crown vics have ALWAYS been automatic.
Stick swaps have been done before. ADTR offers a 6 speed conversion but its 6k just for the kit.
Alternatively, you can convert it using a Mustang manual transmission from a 96+ GT.
You wouldn't have to swap the ECU, but you would have to get it professionally reflashed so the computer will ignore any inputs it's supposed to get from the transmission.

right right. Hmm that may make me consider a civilian version of the crown vic IF a stick option is available. While auto would make for a better car for drag racing, I want a stick damnit.

>Hmm that may make me consider a civilian version of the crown vic IF a stick option is available.
Nope. They are ALL automatic. Every single one of them

I see OK. So it gets pricier and pricier as I try to add more non-stock stuff of course. I'll have to sit down and carefully consider what I want.

I'm assuming someone ITT is a Crown owner? Is it fun to drive? Even with the column shifter?

Yes and yes.

The 4.6L 2V isn't that great stock, but has a big after market. You can also swap out to 3V, or a 4V motor. Some people will swap it out for the bigger 5.4L V8 2V/3V from the F150, however the hood won't close then.

There are a ton of Supercharger kits that work with the 4.6L 2V, however you may end up with some issues with the piping to and from the intercooler.

damnit and fuck.Alright then. Well then my question in stands then I guess. MPG and creature comforts aside, is the Crown Vic still fun? I'm driving a 2011 Ford Fusion as my daily and while reliable, it's boring. A commuter nothing more. I want something I can beat the piss out of on the weekends.

>Is it fun to drive?
depends on your definition of fun. Stock, not really. They're heavy, don't handle all that well, and they float along the road. The V8 noise is glorious though.

The Crown Victoria is the definition of an old school 1970's American land yacht. In fact, the underlying frame of the Crown Victoria was unchanged from 1979. You can drop a 1979 body on a 2011 frame and it will bolt right on.,

You can make it fun by putting stiffer shocks and sway bars in though.

>is the Crown Vic still fun?

take that as a no on your part?

P71 owner here. Yes they can be fun. Mods are available but it can be expensive real quick. Ford engines (modular family) are expensive to mod other than bolt ons. If you want 400 or less horsepower to the wheels the stock engine is supposed to be able to handle it. If you want beyond you should look into swapping a 4.6 DOHC. It's aluminum block, 4v, has 50 more horsepower straight away. Coyote swaps have also been happening but engines are about $7 grand.

I think slapping a supercharger on, manual conversion, and a locking differential (not standard on all) would prove to be more than a fun enough toy without going overboard.

>They can do 60 MPH in reverse.
I never knew that, that's hilarious.

yea that's all I'm looking for. At least for now. Maybe toss some nice wheels on it. Exhaust to make it sound loud. A couple car company stickers because Stickers add +10HP each.

The 4.6 SOHC is tame enough to be straight piped and sounds alright. I put aluminum wheels from the LX Sport trim on mine. I do prefer something other than the steelies. The wheels are 50+ pounds on the steel wheels. Loads lighter on alloys.