/hg/ - Halo General

The Beta Was Better Edition

>Current Content Update:
- Warzone Firefight (available on 6 maps)
- Campaign Score Attack
- 1 new arena map
- 1 new warzone map
- 1 new warzone assault map
- 1 new forge canvas
- New bosses, including the Grunt Goblin
- New reqs, including the UNSC wasp vehicle and the Halo 2 Beam Rifle
- Req items available in forge
- 5 new campaign score attack achievements
- 3 new warzone firefight achievements

>Official Warzone Firefight reveal trailer:
youtube.com/watch?v=3My_2vZQjBI

>Important Halo Links, Notes etc.
pastebin.com/64rb9y4w

>Latest Halo Community Update
halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/comic-con-preview

>Spartan Companies:
halowaypoint.com/en-us/spartan-companies/halo general

>Looking for custom games/campaign co-op players/matchmaking squad
halolfg.com
halocustoms.com
halolobbies.com
Watch the threads for occasional party squads

>Xbox One clips and screenshots
xboxdvr.com/

>The third /hg/tage is out!
youtube.com/watch?v=Bj0swJRlm5g

>Canon Halo Works
mega.nz/#F!OFFSkSrb!6P9FqreveGbbwh_No1qHZA

Previous thread

>the beta was better
This is true for both Reach and 5

First for there's not a single good map in Halo 5!

You are currently browsing /hg/ thread #192.
The featured map is "Burial Mounds"

>Previous threads since numbering began:
#191 - We're It So Easy #190 - Master Chief's Bizzare Adventure - →
#189 - Arby Had a Hard Life →
#188 - RIP Jul →
#187 - Smart A.I. was a Mistake
#186 - Our True Cause
#185 - Black Undersuit
#184 - Heretic Hunt
#183 - Master Chef
#182 - Take the Cruiser Back
#181 - What Were They Thinking
#180 - What About That Stupid Cloak
#179 - Parasite's Cove
#178 - We Numbered Now

Stasis exists, therefore you are wrong

>Halo 5 beta better than release
Kek. No.

>source of information with zero context that's clearly mad at everyone he's accusing
haha nice one. once again demonstrating that le circlejerk shitposters don't actually know what a circlejerk is.

also I don't think mongoose is even in the discord so you'd have to stop shitposting about le discord cancer if you want to label this as *the* circlejerk. But of course you won't do that so I'm not sure why I bother anymore.

>the beta was better
I've seen some dumb opinions in this general, but this takes the cake

And 3.

Beta was better visually but I prefer the current gameplay and options such as being able to turn spartan chatter off

They also tuned things down like medals and Spartan charge and annoying noises.

The one thing I really wish though, is that they had brought the classic Shield down noises from halos 1-4, the new one is way too beepy and annoying and there's no reason to completely change it

(Same could be said for energy sword, plasma rifle, banshee, and ghost noises)

>Beta was better visually
Nope. Not even there was it better.
It was 720p and the frame rate was ass.

Some of the coloring I liked more in the beta. But visually overall? Release version is infinitely better. Beta is capped at 720p and has abysmal AA

The Halo 5 remaining of Burial Mounds in big team is horrible

You're early.

I'm probably the only one but I legitimately like current visuals more than the beta. Especially the armor, it looked like a shitty version of H4's already shit armor, way to plasticy.

H3 looked a little plasticy due to graphical limitations, there's no excuse for a game to look even more like that now and I'm glad they changed it.

Oh, I guess I'm not.

What was the point of ever getting in the turret on burial mounds?

You mean this? Yeah, most of the information we have suggests that the assets were done long before they shipped.

The lighting was insanely better

The guns would all reflect the environment, when your shields burst they would light the walls up yellow and cast shadows, it was gorgeous

I like the art direction more in the beta but the release Berlin is easily still better simply for technical reasons (60 fps, AA, 1080p)

>The lighting was insanely better
I completely disagree.
Everything was way too bright.
The Prophets bane literally blinded your screen

It's not 1080p it's adaptive and usually hovers around 800p

It only hits 1080p during the elevator/loading doorways in campaign

So still better than the beta? got it.

>What was the point of ever getting in the turret on burial mounds?
To combat the warthog

His point is that that it's not a true 1080p game.
Not mentioning the beta.

You're objectively wrong. Maybe a few things needed tweaking, but The lighting was MUCH more dynamic, go look at any footage. You can dislike it, that's fine, but on a technical level the lighting was truly much better.

>current Eden
Bright as fuck yo. Looks like daytime.
>beta Eden
Dark, rainy and moody, lightning would flash light up the whole map, thrusters, weapon fire, and shields would cast shadows off of objects and light up areas. It was beautiful.

Following on from the 'assets finished long before they were shipped' thing, here's more examples.

That looks way too dark and hard to see.

>objectively
You don't know what that word means, I see.

You're free to believe the beta lighting is better, but it's only your opinion.

>that
>better
Kek
>current eden looks like daytime
Go to bed John, you're drunk

Better than retardedly bright in a supposed night time setting and flatly lit

Eden was terrible in the beta.
Everything was too dynamic. Brights were too bright, and darks were too dark.
I'm glad they changed it.

I'd rather flat lighting for arena maps than overdone eye candy lighting effects.

I'm not even cucking around, they literally downgraded the lighting system for a higher resolution. The current lighting is worse. That's a fact. They admitted to downgrading the lighting.

You can like non-dynamic flat lighting with soft shadows better if you want, but it is literally worse.

>720p
>terrible FPS consistantly
>can't see shit it's so dark
>meanwhile flashes of light are seizure tier
The beta lighting was asinine

They admitted to softening the lighting.
And again, stop pretending your opinions are facts. We get it, you liked the beta more than the main game. Most people didnt. Get over it.

Holy shit kid give it a rest.
The lighting in the beta was either too bright or pitch black.

It is worse. Current lighting is baked in with only players and vehicles being able to cast soft shadows.

Guns, shields, powerups, flames, etc no longer produce as dynamic effects as in the beta. It looks like a 2007 game in terms of lighting.

Whether you prefer the darker maps is personal opinion, but the lighting system itself was heavily downgraded.

You realize they could have had bright maps with that god-tier lighting system as well, right? There was nothing stopping them from changing things around, but it got canned for slighlty better resolution and in exchange for flat baked-in lighting

Halo 3 has the best visors of the series though. Reach was pretty good but not quite as good. Maybe Halo 2A campaign could match it?

>consensus in the thread that the beta lighting looks worse
>it doesn't matter you're objectively wrong because A,B,C
Reach is technically running on an inferior console and yet the armor still visually looks much better.
Your argument is like saying the Dreamcast was better than the genesis because it was more powerful.

So the lighting system is less advanced and still looks better in the final?
Damn.

I liked the dark maps. They were comfy as fuck and added a new layer to the gameplay we never really saw before. I never had a problem seeing anyone either, because nearly every action you did would light up the environment surrounding you. Unless enemies were literally crouch-walking around it wasn't an issue, and even then you could still spot them.

>unironically calling someone a kid
user, I'll have you know that ad hominem is not an argument

>Alright gang, we have to make a choice about the visuals in the final game. We can keep the lighting we have, or improve the frame rate, AA, resolution, and render errors
They made the right decision and the game looks better as a result. Maybe the lighting is a bit less advamced, but it's well worse the game not looking like a slideshow.

I said it was your opinion whether you liked how it looked or not. I'm not the judge of that.

It is NOT opinion however that the lighting system was superior technically. The current system is basic baked-in lighting that's been used in games for a long-ass time now.

>your opinion is an opinion
>but mine is a fact!
Just keep digging that hole

>lighting looks better
B-BUT IT'S LESS ADVANCED!
What an irrelevant statement.
It's like if I gave you a $2000 Rig but you only played LOL on it.

>baked lighting
>ever inferior to dynamic
Yeah, no.

This.
Regardless of what happened to the lighting, the game looks much better now.

That's like saying that minecraft has better lighting than battlefield 4 because you can run Minecraft on your toasterbox but you can't run battlefield

The old lighting WAS better, it had tons of effects and systems that are totally missing now.

Was the xbone too weak to handle it at an acceptable resolution? Yea. But it was still a better lighting system.

There's original Xbox games with better lighting than Halo 5. Your "Muh technology" excuse has no weight.

>$2000 Rig but you only played LOL on it.
I know somebody who did exactly this. He also played WoW sometimes, I think.
It's such a waste of money imho tbqhf

>looks better
Fucking how?
It looks like plastic.

>it was still a better lighting system in my opinion
FTFY

But the beta lighting was more advanced. What are you even talking about.

It was literally downgraded into the current state. That means they had to make it worse.

Some people like to be able to see a game when they're playing it and not have it randomly blind them.

They also like their 2016 games in above 720p.

>older games didn't have dynamic lighting
>thinking it's one person
How's it feel being dumb?

>looks worse
>"more advanced"
Nigga nobody cares about your strange metric of "advanced". They changed it and people like that. You dont.
Agree to disagree and stop shitting up the thread.

Not him, but Splinter Cell Chaos Theory has much better lighting than most games today.

Most gen 6 stealth games have better lighting than Halo 5

>stop disagreeing with me or you're shitting up the thread!
Realistic lighting is better. There's no reason for it not to be.
Also,
>not understanding how a dynamic lighting system is technologically more complicated and advanced than a baked system

No, not opinion you fucking retard. It's a fact.

It's not an opinion that halo 3 had better lighting systems than the CE. It's just a technical FACT.

It's not an opinion that a modern PC is better than one from 10 yrs ago. It's a technical fact.

What I've been saying this whole time is that the OPINION is whether a person prefers one or the other. You can prefer whichever you want, I don't give a fuck. But blatantly saying the current lighting system is better on a technical level is fucking retarded.

>my opinion is better
Jesus Christ

>No, not opinion you fucking retard. It's a fact.
(YOU)

>Splinter Cell Chaos Theory actually uses dynamic lighting
You might have misread the post

Funny that about that the majority of them had dynamic lighting, you know that thing were are arguing about.

See

You need to learn the difference between opinion and fact user

If I say the earth is round, you can't just say "The earth is round in your opinion" unless you want to look like a fucking retard

>advanced tech being advanced is an "opinion"
So stainless steel isn't more advanced than regular steel, and it's my opinion if I say it is?

Chaos Theory uses a much more dated lighting system. It could not run H5's.
It's less advanced, but looks better.

If the regular steel gets the job done better for whatever reason, than its irrelevant

You didn't read the post or are mentally challenged

I prefer the new lighting system for gameplay reasons, but the old one WAS a better system that's not up for debate. It literally was a more powerful lighting system.

Lightingfags are literally more autistic than numberfags

It's still dynamic lighting, you fucking double-nigger.

>not up for debate
>No I'm right
>objectively
Gonna have to dive deeper into the thesaurus to fine more

user, are you just pretending to be retarded?
Here's another example:
If I say a maglev train is more advanced than a steam engine, it's just my opinion?

>It's not up for debate.
Then stop debating. Please. For the sake of the thread.

It's clear you guys disagree. So just stop and move on.

If you search "halo 5 beta lighting" half the first page is people saying the old system was better and the rest is unrelated stuff

Once again /hg/ blindly shills for 343 and is contrarian at all costs

>once again retards who don't know what they're talking about try to have opinions
FTFY

>trains
I'm done with you. Enjoy your last word. Make it count! Your opinion is on the line after all.

Okay, is it up for debate that a lightbulb is more advanced than a stick on fire?

You have to be the densest fuck I've ever had the displeasure of replying to

>people actually perfer the old beta visuals with subpar FPS and 720p plus Dudebro to the max
Hell, they don't even perfer them, they're just ring to say something about it is objectively better.
What a fucking joke. Who cares?

There more powerful chemical reactions happening in fire than a light hulb.

>he gives a good example
>you can't counter
Almost like there was no argument in the first place

>play the beta
>can't see shit
>sword blinds me
>terrible FPS
>720p
Yeah, no thanks. This is better visually.

The best part is he has yet to give any sources.

If we are considering chemical reactions we must also consider resource acclamation and manufacture process.

>sources
What?

FUCK YOU. You don't know shit about real lighting you millenial baby, halo 5 beta is amazing. Fucking launch kiddos, man. I swear to god have you ever played a real fucking FPS beta you little launch baby kiddo infant faggot? Jesus, you little teeny tiny kiddo play a real fucking lighting system, have you faggot tiny tight launch kiddos heard of Halo 5 beta? It's a real lighting system that birthed the genre you pampered teeny baby halo 5 launch kiddo kid. I sware you infantile faggot teen kiddos haven't ever played something with an actual lighting system or effects like Halo 5 beta, you sissy baby kids are used to pussyfooting around in kiddo's first fischer price lighting system with it's baked-in and bland lighting ass rapes and visuals, you child. Back in the day we noobtubed little tight baby kiddos like you in your moist teeny eunich faces you little cumslurping faggots. Have any of you tight tiny little halo 5 launch baby kiddos seen an Xbox 360? or maybe an Xbox 1? Not the little castrado baby cum kiddo slut box pussy XBONE but a real Xbox? The green one, you little tiny teeny weeie little baby kiddos don't even remember that shit but real gamers like me do. I remember that badass green dashboard, and THE REAL MAN's not little tiny tight 343 kiddo pussy faggot controler for you, but real man's DUKE controler, OG gamers like me remember playing that shit and wrecking you little baby 343 launchfag kiddos like you, fucking tiny n00bs, bet you don't know what that even means cuz you aren't a real gamer you teeny baby halo 5 kiddo. When I was 10 I was wrecking on sandtrap in Halo 3. Ever heard of it kiddo? nope cuz you're not an original gamer, you don't know what a real gamer is, guys like me were the first gamers, and we'd wreck you in your little tiny teeny weenie baby infant castrado eunich faggot halo 5 kiddo asshole, faggot. Halo 5 beta is how games are meant to be lit

So what? The lightbulb is brighter, and causes less damage with chemicals, if that's not more advanced I don't know what is.

But not technically. Which is what I've been saying the whole fucking time

Apparently it's a hard concept to grasp

>brought up how I preferred the beta to retail for personal reasons
>shitstorm ensues
Fuck, just gonna dump my halo papes in the mean time

>everyone's blinded by "muh 60 FPS" and "muh texture upscaled 1080p" and decide to ignore artistic presentation

I preferred it too. It looked nicer on a visual and technical level

I will join you for some posting

Neat, many thanks. Could always use more

Not even just artistic, the lighting itself and the systems and effects it used were better. (And required more power, hence why it was only 720p and had to be sacrificed for performance.)

343 just happened to make the mistake of only creating dark maps. Which I didn't mind, I thought they were very interesting and a new concept for the series. But I wonder if there had been a bright map with the god-tier lighting if these people would've liked it more. I guess regret counts, go watch regret beta footage if you're interested.

anyway that being said, I don't think the current system we have looks bad at all. What I'm more interested is getting a proper ODST set and black undersuits.

The halo 3 beta only had two maps and yeah I miss all the lock on heavy weapons, but they killed the hogs to quick.