Anyone refuse to buy a newer car because drive by wire is fucking trash?

Anyone refuse to buy a newer car because drive by wire is fucking trash?

That's one of the biggest reasons I refuse to drive a newer vehicle, drive by cable is vastly superior.

Discuss.

>drive by cable

I want to fuck Okami-san.

It is better, but there's a lot of things you can do to remedy drive by wire, an ECU tune will improve throttle response at the cost of mpg, which is a fair trade off in a sports car

Cruise control works much better when the engine ECU has direct access to the throttle.

I have two fly by wire cars, an Opel which throttle response is somewhat laggy and a BMW which is instantaneous.

It has benefits. Most cars now have an option between an econony/normal mapping and sport mapping. Economy/normal mapping might use the first ~35% of power and spread it across 75% of the acceleration pedal. This makes smooth and efficient driving much easier, as the driver doesn't have to be as sensitive with their inputs. Sport mapping usually uses a more linear ratio, similar to a cable throttle.

I agree.

I was like you and held off on buying a newer car for a long time because of the drive by wire and electric steering. Depending on manufacturer and model, it's gotten a lot better. Generally I've found econo cars are the worst for laggy throttle response. As a previous user has pointed out, cars with different selectable mapping (e.g. "normal" and "sport" modes) are usually better. Some, like Lexi and BMW you can't tell at all it's drive by wire.

Honestly electronic throttle doesn't bother me if it's well calibrated. EPS is all but guaranteed to suck, however.

Yup. I really dont like being isolated from the road. Some noise/vibration reminds me that Im moving fast enough to get dead in a split second.

Even though a lexus is gonna be safer than a honda, Ill be more comfortable in the honda.

>That's one of the biggest reasons I refuse to drive a newer vehicle, drive by cable is vastly superior.
Why?

>subaru rolled over with saskatchewan plates
nothing out of the norm i guess

One thing I dont like about drive by wire is when you let off the throttle theres a second unti the rpms drop. This happens in all subarus.

my car is so slow that it does not matter

Honestly it's not that hard to do a fly by cable swap. Lots of guys in the jdm scene have been doing this with success for years now.

Without reading the owner's manual, is it a drive by cable (err, direct linkage) if the car is off and turning the steering wheel causes the front tires to move? So a drive by wire doesn't revert to direct linkage if the power goes out? So if the car battery is removed in a drive by wire, turning the steering when has no effect on the front wheels?

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're asking, but if you're asking about the throttle, if the car loses electrical power, it defaults back to throttle closed.

If you're asking about electric power steering, if the car loses power, you can still steer but with increased effort. There is still a physical link between the steering wheel and the tires so you can still control the car and hopefully coast to a stop without crashing

I dont like newer cars because they have all sorts of electronics in them doing who the fuck knows what.
I dont want none of that gsm module, bluetooth, phone syncronizing, gps, satellite radio, illuminatti gobbledygook bullshit.
Even some ECUs nowadays have spoopy shit in them.

The benefit of newer cars such as GM cars with onstar and satellite is that the police (or repo) can command the cars' fuel injector to have reduced fuel flow. During a police chase, if the police request onstar to disable the car, the engine doesn't totally stop for safety reasons, but the car will basically come to a stop as the fuel injectors are throttled down. The police have also obtained court orders to have the microphones of certain cars turned on as part of police investigations where they listen in to what the occupants are saying.

Nothing else to do in Saskatchewan other than hoon on dirt roads.

You ever driven through SK? It's depressing as shit. Even their big cities are shit.

Never had an issue with electronic throttle provided it's decently tuned. Even if it isn't it's stupid easy to tune an electronic throttle.

You can probably fix that with thirty seconds and a laptop. There's zero delay in getting on or coming off my throttle, not a Subaru though.

I never had a serious problem with DBW engines, but maybe that is because they were all good engines.

One thing that should really piss you of is computerized diesels. Drive by cable is almost impossible to do.

I mean, I'm not a criminal or anything but I really don't like that stuff, someone else being able to control my vehicle from an office 100's of miles away or listen to my conversations without my knowledge is something that I'm not comfortable with.

Also, I hate how so many vehicles are going with big touchscreens in place of physical control buttons and knobs for stuff like radio and climate control. I can replace a button, knob, or blown stereo in an older vehicle pretty easily and cheaply. Those large all-in-one proprietary touchscreens are going to crap out eventually and be ridiculously expensive to replace once that vehicle model has been out of production for 10-15 years and everyone's touchscreens start going out... Or they'll just never get updated again and be completely useless after a while like most of the earlier in-car navigation systems are today.

Agree completely
My dad bought a 2007 Corolla 5-speed new as a beater commuting car, and it was a bitch to shift properly because of the ridiculous lag on the electronic throttle. My brother-in-law's XLR is the same way.

Maybe you can tweak it but there's something primal about having a mechanical connection to the mouth of your engine.

So the police can stop your car and listen in on you remotely?

Thats some Ray Bradbury shit

I never liked GM, this make me like them even less.

I refuse to buy a used car because the vast majority of car owners are incompetent.

Well-implemented and responsive drive by wire systems in high-end sports cars that's part of the stability and traction systems designed to save you from yourself are great.

Shitty cost-savings and muh fuel economey systems in pedestrian cars are shit.

Yes. Because when i push my foot on the gas pedal. I want instant and directly corresponding response from carburetor.

>buy late 80s corolla as first car
>never breaks, things just wear out
>have the thing for 5 years through school and university
>eventually buy a 2010 mazda3
>some shitty module controlling the windows breaks so the drivers side window doesn't roll down
>one day it starts running like shit and nobody can give me a simple answer why
>spend thousands trying to fix the problem
>end up selling the car with the problem
>buy 80s corolla again

since the mazda the newest car i've owned is 1998

that's a catch 22 mate. The dealers aren't any fucking better.

Luddite general

Your fallacy is: Appeal to novelty!

He is talking about the throttle. The older cars use a cable to position the throttle body valve instead of an electric signal that tells them how much to open and close it.
The steering is done through a rack & pinion usually. Hydraulics provide power steering.

Lots of new cars are coming with electronic power steering

Yeah I have that sometimes, but I thought it was the 4WD.

>muh fallacies

reddit hi

>power steering
>not steering

Electronic power steering just means that it provides force to assist with the steering. I have never heard of any vehicle with a completely electronic steering, that's too risky

google 'steering by wire'

that shit is real and it's coming to a luxury brand near you

Driving the main highways in SK is mind numbingly boring. You have to get off the beaten path to experience the beauty of Saskatchewan. Believe it it not, there is lots of it.

Our cities are shit, though.

Well I guess stupidity knows no bounds.
The advantages were pretty much only "wow so cool" and it has a lot of disadvantages.

I had a friend's R1 go haywire after his ECU was flashed and it randomly applied max throttle. I definitely don't trust the only steering to a computer

Give it 20 years and cars will do everything "by-wire". Just imagine braking by wire, brake calipers are controlled by motors instead of hydraulics and are actuated when the brake pedal position sensor registers movement on the brake pedal. It won't really matter though because cars will have automatic emergency braking for things such as road hazards, stop signs or traffic lights, pedestrians and cyclists, etc. Also all vehicles will have always-on GPS receivers and speed limit data that is used to regulate your top speed at all times so that you'll never need to worry about receiving a speeding ticket ever again.

Driverless cars on our roads are not that far away

I've owned two cars with EPS. I think I got lucky, S2000 had incredible steering feel for an electric system, and the 991 is certainly no slouch.

8th generation Civic Si models had a major problems holding revs way too long. Not necessarily a bad thing depending on the driving you're doing, but quite annoying in city traffic. There was a TSB that addressed it, but Hondata let me choose exactly how long to keep dumping fuel in.

Drive by wire is fine if the curve is linear. It almost never is though. Nothing more annoying than having mushy, spongy response below 50% pedal travel

>curves being linear
>ever

how is life in the fifth dimension, Zarquod?

fuck off human

Why diesels in particular?