/domg/ - Dominions General

There is no thread and I must bully edition

Previous thread: Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm (embed)

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate (-75%) and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Start playing multiplayer games
>Do bully the elf

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=WeWuzPantokratorz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Elves are trustworthy and are definitely not sneaking in glamoured raiding parties into all of your provinces as we speak

R'lyeh did nothing wrong

>implying rlyeh has the capacity to do anything at all.

SOON

Posting it again because I didn't get to gloat nearly enough in the last thread.

HEY BADMIN YOU ARE NEEDED TO SUB CTIS.

The fuck?

I more or less disrespected the player, and walked into him lategame (which you never do willingly).

That said, depending on the location of Patala/R'lyeh/C'tis thrones, the game will be over shortly regardless. Worst case scenario, I wait while BoT kills everything, Nexus charges me up, and his ozzie stacks get worn out by walking into stupid, but unavoidable, t0 crap.

Play your turns

What, besides being bad, is stopping him from teleporting high pen mind controllers into provinces he intends to move into?

What happened here?

Lambert, why are you so eternally butthurt at me?

>posts a battle twice to gloat
>another guy posts a battle
>"why are you so butthurt xD"
I'm not that guy, but you sound pretty butt frustrated tbqh familla.

Uh, because it's a fort.

Everything is a fort. And you can't teleport inside enemy forts.

Eh, last thread died 30 minutes after I posted it with most of /domg/ being asleep at the time. Not nearly enough gloating, especially for what is my greatest victory in this game.

What? To do t0 shit you need to patrol otherwise the enemy has first turn. Its basic knowledge. You teleport ON the throne and then move the army there.

I can't teleport anything at all unless I get rid of AC if I want it to be alive when it lands.

The fact that it's really easy to load any province with T0 bullshit that kills those expensive empowered casters.

And then you have to actually storm a fort and all of your shit dies.

Any new bright ideas?

Its also easy to use counter thugs to whatever you have lying in wait for the mind control casters. Its a classic game of guessing who uses what.

Storm the forts with SCs and siege with chaff, easy.

You don't have to storm a fort with all your units you know...

I have something coming that will be able to break any fort by itself. Don't know if it'll get there in time though. Still, it would be fun to use it if I got the chance.

See, you sort of need both desu. Storming the fort that is.

Storming with only an SC is a great way to lose an SC from anti SC scripting after all.

Teleport is pretty safe in AC, all things considered.

t. person who lost A2 empowered, AC caster, hundred gem of boosters wearing, LA Abysia Warlock to Cloud Trapeze while under his own AC

As I said its a guessing game. Will he use the army or SC?

It's not.
It's a lategame and you script for both.

Then he does one and has more mages doing his thing. You cant script for every situation unless you greatly outpower the enemy.

You can't bring mages to a lategame fort storm unless they can survive the following.
RoS (at least 6, if they're demons expect DC to be up)
ME (with possibly around 9 pen)
Maybe some other shit too. So it's really hard to outmage the defender, cause he doesn't need to worry about that shit.

>Then he does one and has more mages doing his thing
No, then he dies because he's walking into a turn one shitfest.
You don't need to have more mages dedicated to a specific duty and overpower your opponent when defensive warfare allows for strong asymetrical options.

Overpowering your opponents in specific firepower is important for an attacker, not defender. And even then after a certain point the numbers stop mattering at all, no matter how much you throw at fort it will all die.

Ashia 2h file received
>Valbad Waiting for 2h file
Cirez'sis 2h file received
Amore 2h file received
Eillenon 2h file received
Cynothalu 2h file received
Chimori 2h file received
>Alingheim Waiting for 2h file
Ninai 2h file received
>Gondria Waiting for 2h file
Norrping 2h file received
Ceasidh 2h file received
Djeris 2h file received
Celaene 2h file received
Tashna 2h file received
>Khaer Waiting for 2h file

But the attacker can storm 6 forts at the same time and decides where to focus his forces, the defender is the passive one here, thats the attackers advantage.

Then you can storm every turn with a mage designated to trigger gem usage until you run out. 6 forts x 20 gems per storm adds up even in meme games.

admin was Marverni right? he probably doesn't care anymore.

Keep in mind the defender will also be burning the same number of gems every turn, in much the same way. And I have so many more gems per turn than bats that it really isn't funny anymore.

And that's the strength of Lemuria, in big meme games. Bats can probably break 1, maybe 2, of my forts by concentrating his forces. But he has to concentrate his forces to scratch my walls.

How many of the Hidden in X dudes do you get when casting those spells?

Variable depending on scales and rng, but the top result is around 40~ guys with right scales plus 1 to 3 mages. Bottom results are 20 or so.
Hidden in sand has rarest mages.

ded

Hey Cirez'sis, since we're about to meet, how about I take 215 and 213 and we make a nice even border yeah?

How about I take both of those and then some instead?

I like the way you think

>trying to start shit
>the guy's not online on Steam as I can see in the steam thread

Nobody says that, you'd say "sure bro go ahead" then backstab me, if anything.

I just made a AE Bless with beast totem with Jotemhelm, I'm basically mopping the floor with the AI. I think I ought to be ready to start a multiplayer game soon.

I've been considering taking on an "aggressive jackass" personality for a game sometime. I probably need a better gimmick than that, though.

Air and Earth?

If those were minor, that would be a decent mage bless if you cared about slinging damage spells at all. Earth is fine, but the A bless doesn't really get you much.

If those were major, then I don't think that it's a very efficient use of design points and you may want to ask for some help with your pretender design so that you're not unnecessarily gimping yourself in your first game.

N9 is much better on Jotunheim

Well the issue with that is, you basically just lose on it. Telling the guy you're gonna attack him is just giving it away, much better to tell him you're cool then stab him in the back.

Sorry, not AE, i mean AN.

I have regeneration and air shield

What the best use of death gems in combat?

Don't take the air shield bless. It just doesn't help you.

I can see AE not going together, but whats wrong with Air Shield? Air shield seems like an insanely good buff, especially on low armor sacred troops like the jotun have.

The only thing is their priests kind of suck, but they have those little goblin mages which can pump out skellies when they have amulate/ D magic.

It depends on your research level and what you're fighting. With the right caster and the right enemy, Undead Mastery will single handedly win you fights.

At low levels, shadowblast can do a world of hurt.

Yeah, but stealthily planning ahead to backstab someone is just, I don't know, stale? It's practically rote at this point and I want to try something else, even if it is technically sub-optimal.

It depends. Wind of Death, Bone Grinding, Wailing Winds, Rigor Mortis and Darkness are all powerful in the right circumstances, but can hurt you as well.

As says, Undead Mastery can be really good and Shadow Blast is a decent use. Both of those are much easier to simply add to an army.

Oh. I thought air shield had an 80% resistance to all attacks, not just missiles.

AE actually do go together well, since the precision and reinvigoration are both good for mages.

There are some ranged spells that they're also resistant to, but yeah it's otherwise only arrows and so on. If it was 80% of all attacks it would be broken

Death gem spells are among the best ones out there, so almost anything you'll do will get you some results. Sometimes even skelespam on D1 dudes.

t. a guy who won a big fight with it.

Amore 2h file received
>Celaene Waiting for 2h file
>Eillenon Waiting for 2h file
>Djeris Waiting for 2h file
>Norrping Waiting for 2h file
>Khaer Waiting for 2h file
>Ashia Waiting for 2h file
>Ninai Waiting for 2h file
>Gondria Waiting for 2h file
>Valbad Waiting for 2h file
>Cirez'sis Waiting for 2h file
>Tashna Waiting for 2h file
>Cynothalu Waiting for 2h file
>Chimori Waiting for 2h file
>Ceasidh Waiting for 2h file

Who watching quakecon here

>Alingheim taking forever to send in turns and has now gone AI on turn 6

this is why you don't let anonyshitters into games

Squids - feel free to take both of the indie provinces on our border. I intentionally made sure that my bats left them for you, given that my nosy reporters already saw your weird, weird home. There doesn't exist a drink strong enough to get rid of those images.

stay alive

Fill this out to keep the thread alive

>make someone a trade offer
>they send back a message complaining about how unfair the offer is

Come on, man. Accept it, dismiss it, or make me a counteroffer. Wasting two turns just to whine at me isn't going to help either of us.

t. NoBones Marignon

I was asleep.

Who offered to sub for C'tis, or what's their email?

Forgot my name.

I don't know if there was another one, but i'm the one who talked to Malakal.

[email protected]

Changed email and resent turn.

Tell me if there's any issues.

stop dying

>attack someone
>he attacks me too
>we end up exchanging provinces

It's too late for that

user casts twiceborn.

Other user casts Phoenix Pyre!

Moot casts Burden of Time!

Here's an experiment.

Cut 10 factions you think are redundant or just plain garbage. (You can cut a faction from one era and keep it in another) If you can't cut all 10 just cut as many as you can.

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=WeWuzPantokratorz

Last call for more supreme gentlemen who would like to enjoy an expertly hand-crafted organic, non-GMO, certified humane, undisputed, undiluted, vanilla Dominions experience tailor-made for refined aristocrats of the soul.

Machaka, both ages
Oceania, both ages
Man, both ages
R'yleh, all ages
Eriu

They're all just uninteresting to play as or against

Just cut all UW nations and we're done.

Hey guy who subbed for PeaceAndHarmony C'tis, can you get in steam chat?

>inb4 BoT rush

Reminder to join all non-summod games and crash them with no survivors.

Summod akbar!

Oceania, Pythium, Helheim, TNN/Eriu

EA Ermor.
MA Ermor.
LA ghosts.

I understand EA, but what problem do people have with MA and LA R'lyeh?

They probably offer the most enjoyable experience and one of the best chances of winning among UW nations.

Spreading insanity, setting up Mind Hunt artillery positions, having multiple turn one Master Enslave casters. They can do some cool stuff.

Because UW nations are rarely played proactively, ferrying around useless freespawn in LA is a complete chore, and insanity is a pain because there's no counterplay aside from managing dominion and hoping RNG doesn't fuck you over.

Barbares eunt domus.

Spotted Lambert.

You know that playing a UW nation in every game you join is starting to piss people off right?

there are some things i don't get about this game. Doesn't your population grow on its own? Or does it only grow if you select growth?

Also, I don't really understand how dominion spreads. First it says

>The chance of your dominion increasing in a province or spreading to an adjacent province partly depends on your god's initial dominion, which you specified when you created your pretender. The chance is 10% multiplied by your god's maximum dominion.

But then it says:

>If the dominion in the province is neutral, dominion increases to +1 automatically.

>If the province contains friendly dominion, the chance for it to increase by one is 30% minus (3% multiplied by the current friendly dominion in that province).

>If the dominion isn't increased in the
current province the dominion spread will go to a random neighboring province.

>If the province contains enemy dominion, the chance for you to reduce it by one is 50% plus (your maximum dominion strength times 5%) minus (current enemy dominion in the province times 5%).

So if you're dominion is 6, the province dominion is 1 in your favor, and its your territory, does this mean you get 1 temple check (for home province) with a 60% chances of having a 27% chance of increasing your dominion?

If this is the way it works then

A) Those seem like really long odds, even stacked to the ceiling with temple checks.
B) Having a to check for a temple check seems really redundant and unnecessary.

That's not me, and I'm mostly land nations, asside from blitzes, which had a streak of EA R'lyeh for testing purposes.

Don't bully

Name 5 pairs of nations that could be combined into 5 single nations.

So, let's say my pretender can cast Soul Drain, Astral Tempest, and Undead Mastery. Do I win the game?

>you're dominion

I was going to give you a legit response but you fucked up, dude.

No
By the time you get the research to cast those spells there will be ways to deal with your pretender

you're base dominion, i mean. the score your pretender god has.

I thought that would have been obvious through context.

Wow.

I am not base dominion and I resent your scurrilous accusations!