For centuries riding horses you would walk on the right side of the trail

>for centuries riding horses you would walk on the right side of the trail
>the first car was designed to be used on the right side of the road
>most people are right hand dominate
Why the fuck do people drive on the left side of the road in all the other shit countries? How did it all happen? Did Japan and England wake up one day, tell them to fuck their shit up senfampai?

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/What-is-the-reason-behind-left-hand-drive-and-right-hand-drive-in-different-countries
news.com.au/finance/economy/plain-packaging-bicycle-helmet-laws-nightclub-lockouts-has-the-nanny-state-gone-too-far/news-story/cf30157b7e7547e796b0460fbfdaecaa
bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-35888748
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it all started with british railways, their little inbred island felt like a special snowflake and the stupidity spread to japan and commonwealth countries

>being this assblasted that people are different to you

never change, america

>driver's seat on the right
>dominant hand free to keep control of the car while changing gea...
oh I get it

your post is so stupid i don't even want to bother.
>ur a assblasted american
what a way to start your thread

>hurr british are inbred stupid special snowflakes I'M MAD AT THEM FOR NO REASON
>can't into clutch
>implying I'm OP

yeah gg you angry man

> So ass blasted you can't come up with a counter point

i remember it was something to do with jousting. your sword hand was your right hand so you needed to be able to hit things on your right. so your enemy was coming towards you on your right. so you ride on the left. guess it stuck.

the real question is, why are you buttblasted enough to make this thread?

>implying amurrica wasn't so anusannihilated at the brits so they rebelliously did everything differently like the figurative hormonal teenage girl they are

A nice history lesson too as to BOTH the location of the steering wheel and driving on the right/left side of the road.

quora.com/What-is-the-reason-behind-left-hand-drive-and-right-hand-drive-in-different-countries

In the USA, the steering wheel was normally on the right side until Ford Motor Company came out with the cheap mass-production line cars whose wheel was on the left. Thus, left side steering wheel became the de facto standard.

>youre assblasted
>>no you are
>no im gonna blast your ass you assblaster
>>not if im gonna blast your ass sooner

gay as fuck tbhfam

It's a matter of national custom, in Russia and most of the rest of Europe you would ride in your carriage on the right side of the road, while in Britain it was on the left.
Also, let's face it, in this day and age it doesn't really make a shit difference what side your country drives on.

(OP)
>most people are right hand dominate
hence it makes more sense to have a RHD since most people will be using their dominate hand to steer

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the dominant hand change gears, since that's a more complicated motion than holding or turning the wheel?

Actually, there's evidence that the romans (yes, the ancient romans) would have their carts pass on the left.

So the British trend might be linked all the way back to the Roman Empire.

>changing gears is difficult
you should be utilizing your best hand to control the car which takes precedent over being in the correct gear

I didn't say difficult, just more complicated. And 99/100 times you can either lug it or be revving a bit higher than you want, and in those times where you must shift it's not like it's impossible to control the car with your left hand only.

I see what you are saying but changing gears is like flicking a switch or pressing a button, its the same motion every time, whereas controlling the steering wheel is more dynamic and requires more adaptability in different scenarios so it makes sense that you would want to your most capable hand.

SI, aka. International System of Units
has become the world's most widely
used system of measurement,
except ... USA.

What da fucking wrong with you ?
left hand drive US mad man.

is that gear lever the way it is because fat murricans are too lazy to get arm off the armrest?

It was actually straight prior to the car's first 1/4 mile pass.

It's too expensive to convert at this point and shit where measurement is really important like science and shit uses metric.

The amazing retarded thing about right hand drive is that the gearbox isn't mirrored.

Top left still is the first, not the sixth.

That's so uncomfortable and stupid.

Really it's a tradeoff either way, either first is awkward or fifth is awkward.

Yes, this is correct. And feels more natural.

Brits are just dumb and would make up any shit to make you think otherwise.

Now see, you ruined any sense of a good post by bringing nationality into it, and you've helped push the thread towards golden meme face spam "LEL AMERIFAILS" etc. Do you feel good about yourself? He's not entirely wrong, but if I were in a situation like that I'd just downshift/upshift beforehand.

Stop trying to disciple me

Stop trying to discipline me

except youre not always in fifth

Deep down you can't really believe that.

Also, I'm pretty sure the regular driving layout was invented by a British carmaker. It was in one of James May's programs I think

Stop trying to discography me.

That's a paddlin

You're not always in first either. 99% of my commute is highway. 4th and 5th are my most common gears.

WE WUZ ROMANS N SHIET

I am vastly more comfortable and precise with steering with my left. And I am very strongly right handed.

S-stop

No I'll behave
Ok?

>Americans are so bad at changing gears that they can only do it with their dominant hand
HAHAHA

>americans
>manuals

Nice try fampai, but your bait missed the mark entirely

Your right hand is your sword hand

England in the middle ages decided that it's people were civilised enough to be trusted to ride down paths and not slaughter people with their sword as they go. This lasted and countries that were in the British empire also adopted this.

Also, right hand is dominant hand and is holding the main directional control system for the vehicle. Left hand is objectively inferior. Pilots of Airbus aircraft with side mounted joysticks instead of yokes hated them because it meant the captain had to control the aircraft with the non dominant hand.

tl;dr you're all savages with no intelligence

Changing gears is relatively more difficult than turning a wheel. Why do you think that even in cars with column shifters that could be on either side, the shifter goes on the right?

Also steering is not a hand and wrist task, it's an arm and shoulder task. Dominance factors in significantly less.

>wanting to emulate those literal faggots

>>most people are right hand dominate
That means your right hand should be on the steering wheel, numbnuts

Your right hand is your gun hand, and it's easier to discretely aim and shoot across from yourself than away from yourself. (White) Americans are civilized enough not to shoot each other, so we drive on the left even though it makes us more susceptible to covert gun fire.

people keep saying this but nobody seems to understand that a wheel is not a joystick

>And feels more natural.
No it doesn't. If it you want to talk about natural then it makes more sense to have your dominant 'right hand' on the steering wheel.

Unless you have an exceptionally stiff clutch there's no reason you can't change gear with either hand. I can shift with just two or three fingers

>left

Right.

>stiff clutch
>shifter

at least i'm not the only retarded one

In what way is a joystick remotely relevant to this?

He thinks operating a gear stick takes fine motor skills

>(White) Americans are civilized enough not to shoot each other,

Every passing day in the US disproves that.

clutch pedal*
bloody fuckin christ

>joystick
You use your fingers and wrist to move it precisely
>wheel
You don't move your fingers or wrist at all, it's mostly shoulder rotation. If you are actually worse at this if you don't use your dominant arm, your non-dominant arm is completely useless at everything else. Most people can use their left arm as well as their right when turning a wheel. How does it feel to have sub-par motor skills?

Finer than turning a fucking wheel

>stiff clutch pedal
>affecting what you're doing with your arms at all
u wot m8

>every passing day
meanwhile, in the UK
>knife crime
>"but sword arm"

>column shifters that could be on either side, the shifter goes on the right?

Um.. No.
In LHD cars the shifter goes on the right
RHD the shifter goes on the left

But you're only pushing or pulling the gear stick, it just falls into the right place. There isn't any precise motion involved.

A joystick and gear lever operate in different ways

If shifting with your right hand were always superiour, wouldn't the shifter go on the right in all cases?

There isn't any precise hand motion involved in turning a fucking wheel either

False.
I'm right handed and would much rather hold the steering wheel with my left and shift with my right.
You can easily bring the shifting hand back to the wheel after you shifted, to use both hands to turn. Hence it would make more sense to have your dominant hand the one able to shift, as you're more comfortable bringing that back and forth from the steering wheel.

>There isn't any precise hand motion involved in turning a fucking wheel either

I always knew Americans had no idea how to drive.

That's more of a packaging/comfort issue because the driver's door would be in the way with a column shift

Just sayin, on old gearboxes, you gotta push hard on the lever.
Newer gearboxes are smooth as glass.
That said LHD>RHD.

Everybody arguing about this is literally retarded. Any experienced driver will be able to use both right and left hand drive cars without being autistic about it, there is no superior option

>be old mate
>working at Chrysler/Mercedes dealer in my Aus town
>Chrysler Voyagers are RHD with the column shift on the right
>co-worker pulls onto hoist
>pops hood
>ol mate checking levels with the bonnet up
>co-worker gets out of the driver seat with the engine running
>leaves in neutral
>knocks the shifter into drive as he exits
>pins ol' mate to his toolbox, breaking both legs

So yeah, column shift in the middle of the car is a capital idea, son

>thinking Americans could ever do a rhd car properly.
I drove one of those RHD Explorers back when they were still new. It was terrible.

Why is everyone so booty bamboozled over what Americans do

>thinking Americans build any cars properly
Cleatus can't build cars, mate. Any mechanic not living stateside knows this.

Only when yankees talk shit they can't back up

Why talk shit when you drive on the right side of the road?
It's as if Yuros and auscunts just complain nonstop.

>there is no superior option
There is.
It just depends on what your dominant hand is.

Except LHD is superior.

But RHD is superior

To faggots

Americans are the ones jumping through hoops to prove their illogical point.

>not being ambidextrous
whys your dominant hand even important? neither shifting gear nor steering requires precise movement. The only difference between Rhd and Lhd is preference, but that doesnt make one superior to the other.

Only faggots shift gears with their dominant hands

We try to be unlike Europe as much as prossible, freedom is our aim.

>aus and new sheepistan both more free than america
>both drive on the left of the road
coincidence?

>>aus and new sheepistan both more free than america
kek
>they actually believe this.

news.com.au/finance/economy/plain-packaging-bicycle-helmet-laws-nightclub-lockouts-has-the-nanny-state-gone-too-far/news-story/cf30157b7e7547e796b0460fbfdaecaa

>bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-35888748

fuck that lockout law
and everyone else
One of the Rally drivers in Aus built a LHD car instead of a RHD one, cos he reckoned downshifting was easier, cos you pull the shifter back towards you

I mean IDGAF, I'm so fast I can drive anything yoooo

>Americans saying shifting is difficult and requires dominant hand because they're all auto driving retards
> Americans thinking absolute precise control of steering wheel isn't a 100% necessity because they only drive in a straight line
Typical lol

>> Americans thinking absolute precise control of steering wheel isn't a 100% necessity because they only drive in a straight line

>euro thinks steering is hard
>too poor to afford power steering

thats not the point.
controlling the vehicle takes priority over being in the correct gear, you should use your best hand for the most important task should you not?

> I never go fast and turn at the same time because the McDonald's drive through only has a limit of 2mph

Also,
> power steering
Top weakling

Nigger i've said it to you before.
You can steer any car with power steering with your fucking pinky.
And any car made in the last 30 years has power steering standard.

>implying

>misses the point again
americans too stupid to see logic or completely ignoring it to remain the center of the universe?

Euro once again claiming Americans miss the point when they run out of bullshit

You do know Europe drives on the same side as you yanks right?

Yeah but they still bitch and moan non-stop.

Every time I read a thread like this I have to stop and think about what side I'm supposed to drive on