Is this the ultimate poser/boy racer car ever? Ford Focus ST. Some guy up the street from me got one...

Is this the ultimate poser/boy racer car ever? Ford Focus ST. Some guy up the street from me got one, and you can hear the blow off valve before you can hear the engine. At first I saw it thinking it was cool until I heard him drive by

>ShhhhhhhhhhhhTSUUUUU~U~U~
>rrrrTSSUUUU~U~U~U~~
>followed by the faintest sound of exhaust before it was immediately drowned out by the blow off valve again

Fuck the RS is nice, but what the fuck is with the ST?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=488MP6ygSzQ
caranddriver.com/features/faking-it-engine-sound-enhancement-explained-tech-dept
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Awesome car.

Although I bought a Fiesta ST instead, because I didn't need the extra space.

i didnt want to like it, but its proven itself in rally and even stock the test drive was quite enjoyable

It's probably an alright car but is the engine made of blow off?

youtube.com/watch?v=488MP6ygSzQ

Yeah they're quiet stock.. you're neighbor might just be a faggot. Like yourself.

It's the WRX of the Ford lineup.

He changed it to vent to atmosphere, aka VTA. Probably doesn't come like that stock

Fun Fact:
The engineers redirect the sound from the exhaust and engine through the speakers to make the car sound louder than it is.

>Redirect the sound from the exhaust and the engine through the speakers

Uh no, you're fucking retarded. It's just an audio file like in a video game they pump through the speakers.
They do the same for a lot of cars these days. I find it weird that the ecoboost has a V8 sound effect when you start it.

Both of you are retards.
It's being piped into the cabin, not through the speakers. there's a hose that comes out of the engine

Then how the fuck does an inline 4 turbocharger sound like a V8?
It's a sound effect.
Why would they waste all that money with hoses and slightly re-engineering the vehicle for ample sound effects when they could just program it to play a sound effect?

>making it sound noisier than it really is

I guess that's one way to get 'muh feels' out of the driver.

Tell him to put a duck call in it

It's becoming more and more common. Porsche is doing it, hell even the F-type does it even though it is one of the louder cars there is.

sounds like your neighbor got a bov and replaced the bpv. yes the turbo is tiny and if someone is hitting boost at every chance I can see that getting annoying.

wrong it's a sound symposer which is only intake sounds into the cabin via some hose under the cowl.

I do agree a bit though, the ST has basically become the poster child boy racer car next to WRX

Your an even bigger idiot.
It's come from the engine and is easily removed. Google sound symposer delete

Brz and frs have the same sound tube from the intake to the bottom of the passengers feet.

I own an ST, nothing is piped through the speakers, there's a box called the sound symposer under the hood that allows a small amount of the intake noise to run through a hose into the cabin. It's fucking stupid and one of the first things I got rid of. WTF Ford either make it sound good or just leave it quiet, don't half ass it.

Second, I dunno, nearby me at least the only other ST's are owned by late 20's to middle aged dudes. Shit I saw one being driven by a grey haired woman the other day. It's a bit of a boy racer car, but it handles well and has a decent amount of power. I love it.

Its a cheap ass hose that connects the intake to the cabin though a Y junction
It usually dumps the sound right behind the dash
They are doing this because its cheaper to get another intake hose from the lot, plug it, and make a small hole in the firewall or use one of already available ones to pump sound into the cabin than engineering a system that will play a sound file accordingly to the engine RPM like in a video game
Why they are doing this? because modern cars are so dampened because of all safety stuff that you cant hear shit inside the car

I didn't really have a problem with my sound symposer stock, but once you add an exhaust and intake it gets kinda annoying. I do really wish they had a better stock exhaust though

Ford uses hoses since its cheaper
BMW uses a full on synth that takes account the engine RPM and load
VW uses a speaker inside the engine bay that plays a generic sound once you are above a certain RPM
Porsche uses a diaphragm to pump sound into the cabin if you have the car in sport mode
caranddriver.com/features/faking-it-engine-sound-enhancement-explained-tech-dept

Besides the BMW method you can delete or disable all of these with a simple screw driver and 30 min

I thought it wasn't that great when I drove one, I just don't see the appeal of ford focus/fiesta and hatchbacks in general.

It's a decent and affordable mix of power and fuel economy. More popular in Yurop and other shitholes with displacement and emissions taxes.

>a hose that comes out of the engine
>in to the cabin
That's how I'd kill myself if I was gonna do it too, painlessly choking on carbon monoxide fumes

Welcome to modern exhausts. It's hardly anything to do with the car.

It's induction noise, you autist, not exhaust.

> I do really wish they had a better stock exhaust though

Same here. I'd rather not dump money into useless stuff on my FiST, but I really wish I could actually hear the exhaust sometimes.

You're all idiots. It's just a simple cut out from the exhaust that connects to the AC vents. The sound your hearing is straight from the headers and into your cabin. The technology behind it is borrowed from the DEI theory.

McDonald's shift managers who financed one of the cheapest non poverty cars available
Typically riced with stickers and replaceable interior bits, cold air intakes, cat backs, and "plug and play" tunes downloadable from the Internet because that's the extent of their knowledge

He's right though, the EcoBoost Mustang's false interior engine sound can be stopped by removing a fuse. After that it's quiet as fuck. I know the method you're talking about is used in the Toyobaru though.

How is the ST a poser car?

Yeah, it doesnt fart like hell and do more noise than power. Definitely a car for posers -_-

I enjoy having the capability without announcing myself three corners ahead, because my exhaust sounds has holes drilled in it...

The cosworth was the biggest poser, the look at me spoiler on the boot is patricularly chavvy.