/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

EngineDev Edition.

>Space Jam is over. Play games and leave feedback.
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta, as if that's an excuse)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/groups/agdg-audiofriends (embed)

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA (embed)

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw (embed)

>Chats
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

>Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/jasozz/tinytracks_samplemusic01
youtube.com/watch?v=ws-EwYt4gzA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You forgot to remove the other third chat and to remove the embeds.

If tankdev is hanging out anywhere, I put together a sample track for ya. Its a bit of a blend between the original concept I had and the music you linked me.

If you see this, let me know if this is close to the mark at all.

soundcloud.com/jasozz/tinytracks_samplemusic01

How comfy is Photoshop for pixel art and animation? Does it make sense to get a wacom tablet for pixel art?

>rust's syntax
And I thought learning c++ was a clusterfuck

>You forgot to remove the other third chat
Because IRC is actually good

>150670914
Hello Googum.

Rust's syntax is extremely consistent, it's just more explicit (which is also a good thing in the long run).

I dont do pixelart as I mostly do 3d, but I dont think Photoshop is the best software to make sprites/spritesheets, sounds cumbersome to me.

A bit of an overkill but its usable.
Depends on how big your sprites are, if they're 32x32 probably not

maximum overquirk.

Even paint is better, yes tablets work great

Would be fantastic title/menu/trailer music.

The second level has now begun; I got the tileset working and made a foundation for the level itself.
Please ignore the fact that the placeholder background devolves into scribbles at the bottom.
Photoshop works fine for pixel art. It's not exactly the most ideal program for it since it wasn't designed for it in mind but it has all the tools you'd need. You don't need a tablet but I personally like using one, it just helps speed things up and if you're used to drawing you can use the tablet to make little sketches for your sprites.

OVERKILL
>Does it make sense to get a wacom tablet for pixel art?
Absolutely when you start doing more than 16x16
It won't be any use to you if you can't draw though, which is why people tend to stick to low-res and hide flaws/details.

George Costanza's Apartment Fire Safety Simulatorâ„¢ - 2016

that sound like a happy tiny tank

Just use C.

Thanks! Happy/cheery music isn't really my forte (haha music terms) so its always nice when I can make something work

Fair enough

Already know it, learning Rust for the sake of learning

I don't understand what you'd dislike about rust syntax. I had to live in the days where you couldn't close nested templates with >> in C++. Go fuck yourself for not understanding my pain. I wish lifetimes didn't use ' but that's minor because I rarely deal with lifetimes explicitly in rust.

Post an op pic that has to do with the thread next time, faggot

in soviet russia, platforms jump you.

I'm not an artist but I used paint shop pro 7 for pixel art for 10 years. Because 8+ started mimicking photoshop too heavily and I wanted my simple olden days shit. PSPX is when I finally uninstalled 7 and said fuck this whole franchise. I don't do pixel art anymore, that part of my soul and paint shop pro died together.

So what I'm saying is I don't like photoshop for pixel art.

>I don't understand what you'd dislike about rust syntax.
I don't dislike it, it's just confusing looking since I never worked with it before.

Kek'd at the title.

Your game title should be:
Swiggity Swooty: Look at my Booty

Camera is WAY too laggy vertically.

What motivates you, /agdg/?

>jumping by thrusting your hips

is this game made by cr1tikal?

That girl is cute as heck

Fair enough. I started as a C++ elitist and then had a binge of webdev bullshit with ruby and js, so when I came back and tried rust it felt lovely to me in contrast. On a more useful note, rust traits are everything I wanted to do with templates and never could.

Shitters who get through greenlight

I'm better than them

Is there money in making lewd games?

I can already program. Worth it to become an artist?

you should implement moonwalk

Does he know that coat makes him look like a hunchback? It's really pretty bad. Whoever tailored that should be commemorated with a trophy for a kek well done.

I want to create things

I want to leave something in this world when I die

If a man tells his grandchild about this shit game he played years ago then I will live on

>I can already program. Worth it to become an artist?
Programming isn't even necessary.
You can get rich from patreon without having a game and just making lewd art, so worth learning.

If I were motivated I wouldn't be on Veeky Forums.

Three columns on one page is disgusting. I prefer one column per page for a book with two pages visible.

Discipline

reminder never to use kikestarter for your game

It takes a lot of work to go from zero to art hero. It's better to find other artists to scam, err, inspire.

go away vine

I agree. When I first found that photo online, 8-10 years ago, I thought they looked like a diverse cast of characters; it felt as though there could be an interesting story behind the photo.

I know this is surprising, but, you can choose the rewards for your kickstarter. You don't have to offer any input to your design whatsoever. And if you do, you can reserve the right to veto and request people contact you before pledging. That's usually what I see as a warning on those pledge tiers from any competent dev.

It's mostly all the symbols, since I don't know what half of them do yet

For real? That is my plan... to have fools pay for my game and get character art prints, design a few enemies and get a cool figurine in the process.

Tell me which one of those text layout style gives you the most "ancient manuscript" wibe?
No columns?
Two columns?
Three columns?

>being able to freely add fursonas into the game and get away with it because kikestarter
seems like a great deal to me

If you are desperate enought for the money to give someone you don't even know the liberty to design a fucking character the you totally deserve to get furry'd.

>all the symbols
No more than C++, and they mean (roughly) the same things.

Take a look at some ancient manuscripts

Every bible I've ever seen is printed in 2 columns.

1 column def.

I stand by the statement that three columns is disgusting. It's hard to say more, I prefer one column, you might move forward to font selection before deciding further.

two

also make the text closer together since that gap is gross tbqh

this is also acceptable

I really wanna make a first person dungeon crawler as my first project, but I'm already stumped. Using C# in unity for example I can do
>transform.Rotate(0,-90,0)
to rotate left in one input, but I hate how it snaps the camera. Is there a way to do 90 degree rotations nice and smoothly in one input?

its just a placeholder camera for testing movement

Not just no more but less than C++. Most mean roughly the same things, but some are a bit new, such as => pattern matching and macro! functions. But I agree with the sentiment that it's a relatively small jump from C++.

That's pretty complicated for a first project

Also google.

you missed a few

Lerp

>"I really want to dev but I need to take care of [responsability]"
>Be lazy and keep pushing [responsability] off
>Never dev

Unity's """coroutines""" might be able to help you here.

Does Lisa the Painful RPG hold the title of "El Topo: the Game" or is it not too late to make an acid western game?

>150674128
and blogposting about it on /agdg/ will surely solve your them.

At least you still have time to blog about it

I would implement an object state system, and put the object in a rotation state containing initial rotation, final rotation, time of rotation, and time elapsed. Each frame, any object in this state is interpolated to the new correct rotation and time elapsed updated. When time elapsed >= time of rotation, set state back to "normal".

Do not listen, if you stare to much at old manuscripts god rips a space-time-hole into the manuscript in the shape of an anus.

as long as Afro Samurai exists, the acid western genre will never reach new heights

You aren't deving OR taking care of responsibilities? At least I have no responsibilities and only neglect deving. I even help friends and family with their responsibilities. You should be ashamed.

>anus
what

Probably, but I have all the time in the world at the moment, and this is the only thing that makes me feel super inspired.

Thank you, I'll look into these.

>I even help friends and family with their responsibilities.
Wanna be my friend?

Elaboration:
The actual game logic is all sequential and synchronous, but you want to suspend it while animations (such as turning left) play. You can do this by using a "coroutine" (they're actually generators) and yielding these animations. You then have a consumer of the generator that is basically a state machine where each animation is a state.

Your anus isn't portal shaped and tinted blue?

>make kickstarter
>someone pays u a million bucks to get his inflation diaper wearing fursona into ur game
>legally obligated to ruin ur game

>a nigger chasing a furry so they can kill eachother
>acid western
get out

just dont include that as a goal or reward or whatever holy fuck

Just define your terms, jesus. Kickstarter isn't some legally-binding contract bullshit
>10k reward: you may design a character and we'll add it to our game if we deem it suitable

Hey now, I'm not THAT useful. I'm usually the weak assistant for yard work, or the script kiddie when one of my friends is doing menial data bullshit naively. Lately I've been helping my father build a shed.

Despite his /tv/-tier stupidity, AS is great.

Do NOT listen to this shitposter. He is a nodev who has NO GAME!!!

Fucking REPORT him!!

That sounds pretty acid western to me

money

>mfw existential dread sets in and can't gather the motivation to open GM

>>legally obligated to ruin ur game
You set your terms dummy
>we will work with you to find a design that fits the game

just don't have that option at all.
You people are so stupid
>but the shekels
kill yourself.

Should I do cute pixelshit or cute low poly?

Game will be about horrible, bloody deaths

cute lowpoly because there is too much pixelshit in this world

>i don't understand anything that isn't black and white

you should ask your friends on newgrounds.

Deliberately play games
And don't beat yourself up over "I should be devving right now"
Just play vidya until you're tired of it, and your urge to make progress will be stronger than ever

Afro Samurai is the dopest shit you'll ever see in your life and samurai/ronin and western movies are generally basically the same

youtube.com/watch?v=ws-EwYt4gzA

exactly like el topo or no more heroes or whatever

middle-ground fan-creations are most of the time always shit.
>and samurai/ronin and western movies are generally basically the same
Not really.

>Play a game similar to my one.
>Get tons of ideas on how to improve my game.

Life's good.

>just don't have that option at all.
>refusing large sums of money

>Play a game similar to my one.
>Get tons of ideas of things to never have in my game

I mean some of the shit people put in their games for no reason

>samurai/ronin and western movies are generally basically the same
Nah... not the same. Some may be similar, but they aren't the same... you're thinking of the Magnificent Seven, which was The Seven Samurai.

Then get into furry commissions then you shekel-obsessed shit.

>Bummed out after devving because things didn't go as well as I wanted them to
>Play a random game
>Notice all the slight things that are wrong with it
>Start thinking that maybe my game isn't that bad
>Realize that we're all humans giving it our all to live a life that we can be happy with after we die and everything we did won't matter anyway so there's no reason to be sad.
>Get an existential crisis
>Don't dev for the next 3 days