Chevy might make a mid-engine Corvette

>Chevy might make a mid-engine Corvette

Are you for it? Do you think they'll actually do it?

blog.caranddriver.com/c8-in-2018-the-latest-on-the-mid-engine-chevrolet-corvette/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VN3u2q5ShFo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>meanwhile at C&D

LOL publish that shit again I bet they'll still fall for it

they said that in the 1960's

only took them 50 fucking years to realize the Corvair is literally the most balanced and well handled car with a small block sitting in the rear seats.

If they did it they better go full super car flat plane DOHC screaming V8.

>full super car flat plane DOHC screaming V8.
This is the kinda high end sports car Cadillac should make (because we all know Chevy won't abandon pushrods). They can't, though, because it would be faster than >muh 'Vette and Daddy GM can't allow that.

When I started reading about GM's history, I got so mad at all the times cars got killed or neutered because "gotta protect the vette". It happened a lot.

Gramps doesn't want no damn engine in the trunk. Murica says the engimes in the front. They wouldn't ever do that.

Gm trademarked LT5 last year
GM has VVL (basically Vtec)
they have a mid engine prototype race car.
i dont see why we wouldn't see a mid engine Z0RA in 5ish years.

Maybe America will finally be able to make a car that will turn

Nah just something that can launch decently fast and not spin out

These rumours happens every time and the new corvette is never mid engined

That looks like a hot wheels car

Won't this just make cooling it even harder? Not sure if amerifats can handle this sort of "advanced" engineering

>Do you think they'll actually do it?
Maybe.

They could just build a 302 pushrod with a flat plane crank. The old crossplane crank ones could out-scream a Voodoo.

A new Caddy DOHC would be smaller in displacement, to be the size of an LT unit. With the lower displacement, it'd have les power (but better NVH values).

LT5 could just be a multivalve pushrod engine though - or a regular trademark renewal.

GM NEEDS to go mid-engine and/or AWD to remain competitive.

The GT-R and 911 Turbo match the Corvette's performance with less horsepower, because the Corvette's FR platform cannot make full use of the engine's power. FR has diminishing return over about 400hp (diminishing returns means: for every 5hp the competition adds, GM needs to add 6hp to keep up).

The only question is: will GM change the Corvette or add a 2nd model? The median age of a Corvette buyer is 61 years old, and Corvettes are most popular in blue-collar towns. As a result, the Corvette doesn't really compete in the 911's demographic. Most of the people who buy Corvettes want a (relatively) cheap FR car with heritage, a mid-engine Corvette would not go over well. If GM made two models, the FR Corvette could become the car for the retirees, and the new car could appeal to the true performance fans and more cosmopolitan Porsche demographic.

It would be cool if they made it but it would be wrong to call it a corvette. This isnt a trim for the vette it would be a whole new chassis and layout. I think they should make it and not use corvette branding.

I would be the best value for dollar supercar here in the US

so of course they'll never do it because "its not a muscle car"

fuck american car companies

>company that can't get away from pushrods
>trying to make mid-engine, RWD, high power car

Yeah that's gonna end well

>The GT-R and 911 Turbo match the Corvette's performance with less horsepower

I think you meant to say: GM has to increase the power in the Corvette to the point where it can't compete for more than a lap on the track in order to keep up with the 911 Turbo and the GT-R

>meanwhile, Ferrari and Porsche wanna punish GM for using pushrods on IMSA, getting certain advantages over their DOHC designs

Go figure

The Corvette, Camaro, and Mustang are all proper sports cars now, not muscle cars or pony cars

I'm actually curious, what advantages does a pushrod design have over DOHC besides packaging?

>LS engines are extremely reliable, small, and make a lot of horsepower
>somehow you think radically changing the design would be a smart thing to do

>LS engines are extremely reliable, small, and make a lot of horsepower
>for one lap of the track

>confuses the tried and true LS engines with the supercharged LT4
How dumb can you get?

I'm guessing weight or something. If those guys are complaining about the designs and want to penalize the vette for it then it must be something significant or they would leave the Corvette Team alone. after all its just an amerifat """sports-car""" in the micky-mouse cup.

>pic kinda related
lol those rivals never get old.

And I thought heartbreaker was the dumbest mofo on this board.

I'm not openly saying it has design advantages, just go check the Corvette results on IMSA.
Porsche and Ferrari have reportedly asked to BoP the Vette harder.

>implying the c6.r was not the epitome of gt cars with the ls motor
CLASS WINS
L
A
S
S

W
I
N
S

>gets called out for his mistake
>panic mode
>I know, I'll call him dumb
>Y-YOU'RE DUMB HAHA I SHOWED DAT BOI

I'm a different person. You still confused LS with LT.

You better not google 911 class wins or you might start crying

I'm a different person too kek. I haven't said anything about the two platforms.

>user
>in charge of damage control

This is true. Too bad in the last decade Jake has reigned.

>damage control
I don't get it. I didn't say anything incorrect.

They're weird fat compromises that should be split into two different models.

We're just gonna have to wait and see.

As if the current one hasn't stolen enough design cues from euro super cars now they're gonna go full Hyundai and just copy their shit?

Full size Fiero

I'll believe it when I see it. GM has been teasing the public with concepts of mid engined Corvettes since the 1970's. Until I see it, it isn't happening.

>tfw no mazda/chebby partnership
>tfw no modern NA 4 rotor engine with rotor deactivation
>tfw no aerovette

I don't know but we need more MR and RR cars.

Excuse me?

not really a corvette any more is it

lewd.

Known for being unreliable as fuck

>I don't like you that way
>b-baka!

I hope you're not referring to Clarkson's because his had an aftermarket alarm which fucked his car up.

Wrong picture.

How is this not something Clarkson could afford to have fixed? What on Earth did the guy do that was irreversible and catastrophic?

I think Clarkson got drunk and crashed his GT and doesn't want anyone to find out.

I like it better the way it is. Leave building an American Ferrari to another nameplate.

>Car being such a shit that it goes to pieces when an aftermarket alarm is slapped on

dem torks.

I don't like the idea of a mid-engined Corvette. They're crazy fast as it is, and they've been working on the formula for 63 years, always improving them. Big front engine, rear drive is a classic American format.

It looks like a gta v parody supercar

>buy mid engine corvette
>remove engine and swap in Doritos
>have the greatest time of your life
welp ik what am going to do if they sell this shit, what about you Veeky Forums?

Can i has LS in the Dorito car you get your Doritos from? (it won't have a dorito engine so literally no harm done)

youtube.com/watch?v=VN3u2q5ShFo

>I don't want a car that performs like a Ferrari 458 but costs $100k or less because it would be change
user, I...

>trying to trigger me
not going to happen user, if you own the car and want to swap it enjoy yourself my boi, for the point of this hobby is to enjoy yourself and only yourself

They've been saying this for decades. It ain't happening.

I would buy one. Even if it were rape/month payments.

They're as fat as European offerings like the M4

>It happened a lot.

Total bullshit. They should have made the vette better. It's so ass backwards to de-testicle your product. You've set the whole company back.

The vette probably has the best chance of going mid engine now. It's out of the 09 bankruptcy and is doing well. That doesn't mean they will however. As for a DOHC screamer that's not totally sacrilegious since there was one in the 90's called the ZL1 iirc

Chebby themselves admit that they are nearing the limits to what they can do with a lump up front.

tl;dr I think they should do it.

Found the boomer
Why can't you faggots into progress?

This, people still think that the characteristics of previous models decade+ ago still apply. Even I fell into that trap. When comparing the contemporary models against each other they're much more comparable to each other.

The Corvette isn't a muscle car.

Corvette already has a midship engine. Midship does not mean engine in the rear, it means between the driver and whatever axle is closer.

Would you complain about Porsche doing the same thing?

>mid engined
>driven by an American
>not spinning out

Wiring is expensive to fix on a regular car, let alone a car like the GT.

Babby watches top gear and thinks he knows about the GT.
>e-everybody knows this

Dat fucking V12 in the back.

>Koenigsegg
>V12

Imagine it.

The new vette. A MR/RR V8 DOHC high revving (V- or flat, i dont care) that produces over 400 hp in N/A.

Either RWD or AWD

Now people wont post the GTR vs Vette meme again

The concept in itself is a good, but it shouldn't carry the Corvette moniker imo. Corvettes have traditionally been bargain priced supercar beaters. A mid engine version would undoubtedly up the price beyond the reach of the common man.

>Future Corvette moves upmarket to mid-engine platform
>Future Camaro moves upmarket to take the place the current Corvette
What would take the place of the current Camaro? Should GM produce a genuine Miata fighter?

Re-produce the Kappa-cars. (make a successor)

they already did that see pic related

Name it after some other fast warship. Chevy Cutter, maybe. Though that sounds kinda lame, and sorta like what a news station would call a serial killer who operates out of a '98 Impala.

Why not "Corvair" ? it has "Cor" in its name but its obviously a different car.

Nader forever tarnished that name.

Which is a shame because the second gen dropped the swing axles in favor of an independent rear, fixing all the problems with the Corvair's handling. It's especially unfair, considering there are lots of other vehicles with swing axles, yet the Corvair is the only one he shat on.

Nobody ever spouts the loldeathtrap meme about:
>Volkswagen Beetle
>Volkswagen Bus
>Volkswagen Type 3
>Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
>Tatra 603
>Hillman Imp
>Renault Dauphine
>Renault Caravelle

Yet they're all rear engined cars with swing axles, just like the first gen Corvair.

>fixing all the problems with the Corvair's handling.
You're implying there was something wrong to begin with?
I've taken hard corners at 80 (which is pretty much top speed for the 110 kek), no problem.

but no, the interior is designed for maximum probability of death in a car crash.

Except the VW Bus was always a deathtrap.
Beetles, I dunno. Probably. The others were either not popular or not even sold in the U.S.

You probably won't get old VW's fast enough to become a death trap

I'm not, but that's what Ralph Nader wrote.

My old man had a Renault Dauphine eons ago.

I think it was a fuckin' 2stroke too.

True, but the Bus was a deathtrap because it had no structural integrity, and no crumple zone in front of the cabin. Not because of its suspension.

>but that's what Ralph Nader wrote
Such a fag,
I mean yeah
>GM
But GM literally innovates (lol wtf) and Nader throws them under the bus for it. He's a cunt on other issues too.

>and no crumple zone in front of the cabin

>get into mild fender bender
>legs amputated
fuck, Germans were suicidal after getting whooped huh?

RR is a quirky novelty that sets it apart from its competitors.

FR in the corvette is not.

>had it down in the 80s

What would you do if Chevy offered the Corvette as a mid-engine 12 cylinder hyper car?

Not buy it because poor and probably not buy it because it's still
>GM

Why not just put the 'trunk' in the front like they did with the Koneoenjoeje whatever

Heresy

The 911 should have been mid decades ago.

one of the later Cayman performance versions was gimped to not embarrass the 911 and muh heritage

>The 911 should have been mid decades ago.
Then how would you cool it?

>Now people wont post the GTR vs Vette meme again

You must be new here.

Nader is a cunt.