A friend tipped me off about a Toyota Supra Mk3 that had been standing on some driveway since he was a kid...

A friend tipped me off about a Toyota Supra Mk3 that had been standing on some driveway since he was a kid, so naturally I knocked on the door to get a rough estimate of what he wanted for it.
Out comes some old dude, 70 years old or so. He tells me he bought the car in '98 and it's been standing on that driveway since around '99 for no particular reason except he got bored with it.
Anyway, the car has about 44000 miles on the clock, minimal visible rust (gonna go back soon to check underneath), interior looks like new, and there are no modifications to the car. He wanted some time to think over his price, but I'm gonna try to get it off him for about 1000-2000 dollars or so.
Now, what I'm looking for is pretty much a good intro car for more advanced repair work and tinkering, and also a good first car with a bit of actual power in it as I've only been driving shitboxes until now. Is it reasonable to consider buying this car or am I just setting myself up for failure?

Other urls found in this thread:

supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?553270-supra-money-pit
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If you know that you're buying a project then by all means go for it.

>He actually got a boomer who knew what he had to sell

holy shit OP, you're a hero to us all.

Just look online for what to check for in engines that haven't run in years. If it is in as good a condition as you say, don't be afraid to offer more than 2 grand. Don't go insane with something like $5k+, but don't try to lowball him with something like that within your grasp.

Meh they're slow but you could do much worse as a project car.

I would find a MK3 Forum and see what are the common issues with those cars, and see how difficult they are to fix before diving in tho.

>>Now, what I'm looking for is pretty much a good intro car for more advanced repair work and tinkering
>>and also a good first car

Pick one and only one

>a good intro car for more advanced repair work and tinkering,

>good first car
>first car

OP they're money pits.
OP this car will probably ruin your financial life if you DD it.
OP get a Civic and use this for weekend hoon.

Pls OP listen.
These are Toyota in name only and aren't bulletproof
OP..

Will do some research before I decide on anything, thanks.
Bad phrasing on my part, I already have a Golf as my daily commuter. I meant my first somewhat powerful car.
It's that bad?

>It's that bad?
absolutely

supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?553270-supra-money-pit

Don't be surprised if he never gets back to you, or he comes back with $15,000. Cars sit forever in someone's driveway BECAUSE they don't want to sell it. If they wanted to sell it it would be gone already.

I've never heard from anyone's who's managed to pull this off. When I started driving I knocked on all the doors in town who had some car that'd been parked in the driveway long enough for the asphalt to sink. The answer was always "But we use it in the summer," "We're putting it back on the road," "My nephew might want it," "Not for sale," etc. Then 5-6 years later they have it hauled off to the scrap yard when all the tires go flat and the doors fall off.

It's not a boomer thing. It's an idiot thing.

My brothers MK3 had over 200k miles when he sold it, what unreliability are you memeing about?

>My brothers MK3 had over 200k miles when he sold it
Okay and?

>1991 CRX sitting in neighbord driveway since as long as i can remember
>their son is born an autist
>can't drive
>recently disappeared
>that fucking nigger from work 40 miles away was talking about it.

I want to do this with a 350z that's been sitting plateless for two years, but I feel like an autistic person going up to his door asking if it's for sale

Boomer hasn't named a price yet, dont be surprised if he comes back asking for the kind if money people are paying for cars in this condition that haven't been sitting for 20 years.

If it hasn't moved in this long hes probably going to have to rebuild the motor and trans.

Always ask. There's nothing wrong with that. They probably have three people a week offering to buy the thing.

A woman in town had a '90s BMW 318 in her driveway for years. When I asked about she said I was the 50th person to ring the bell or something like that. It sat there for another half decade until it got junked.

Auto or manual, turbo or NA, and hardtop or targa?

If he wants $1k- $2k for a auto NA that hasn't run in over a decade, just walk away.
Paid $600 for my girlfriends running & driving 5 speed NA that we got to do a JZ swap.

My old boss used to make money doing this, mind you he was usually asking about junkers that he would just cut up and sell for scrap.

>when you sit a popular, uncommon, cheap car in good condition outside for years
>wash it every week
>people always asking to buy it

>scrap it
succulently Satanic

Jesus what a bitch, I would walk away angry and disappointed from that encounter

The guy in that thread seems like a total dumbass, but yeah, I'm gonna reconsider it. Might want all that money for something else.
Yeah, I'm getting those vibes from him. The old guy said he was thinking of fixing the car up proper and selling it in Germany for around €10,000 or so. I can't imagine he'd actually get that money even if he fixed the car up, and considering I'm in Sweden, why he'd want to sell it in Germany where they value cars less than we do is beyond me.
Manual, turbo, targa.

>I'm gonna reconsider it.
I wouldn't dump the whole idea, but i wouldn't DD the car.

That's just how it is with cars. Cars usually represent some kind of dream a person once had. They want to hang onto it, like the guy who calls his ex girlfriend for five years after they broke up.

I found a Miata on flat tires with the top caving in in someone's driveway. Rang the bell and talked to a woman who swore up and down it was their summer car, despite having a 3-year-old inspection sticker. It's still there only now it's under a cover.

The only cars in these situations you can actually buy are either ones that're so shitty the owner didn't want to take the trouble to call the junkyard, or right after the owner decides to sell it themselves. Cold-calling usually just means you're throwing a wet blanket on someone's fantasy.

But always ask anyway. There's like that 1 out of 1000 instance where it works.

>>there is a mid 90's z28 manual sitting down the road from me
>>been sitting for close to 10 years
>>stopped and asked if they'd sell around income tax time
>>he says $8,000
>>PFFFFFFT right in his face

Poor car :/

I drive past a 1978 rx7 all the time, and have always wanted to knock on the door and ask if they would sell it. It's in mediocre condition and probably hasn't moved in 20 years, but still.

I DD a 2JZ swapped Mk.III. Drove it with the 7M for 4 years.

You don't know shit

>You don't know shit
k lad