Painting thread?

Painting thread?

Ultrarealism is literally worthless

Just like you and your opinions.

It's a ridiculously meticulous skill. It might be boring but it often has the most breathtaking effect on people.

As a style it has a lot going for it, it's just the vast majority of ultra-realist painters are uninspired anc clichéd and get by on the "woah, so HD" effect it has on people. It's a shame, I've never seen an ultrarealist painting that uses ultrarealism as a means or as an aesthetic, only ones that use ultrarealism as an end in itself. It's mostly used by painters with lots of skill and not so much talent.

Why did ultrarealism only emerge after HD color photos became common? Is it because ultrarealist painters have no talent and just copy photos exactly?

Why do artists suddenly become more popular when they die?

Notice how the pug still had eyebrows.

Who /paints/ here? I've never really bothered with /ic/ but I'm always curious in these threads here

We live in the proto-autistocratic era.

Hyperrealism is just the beginning.

I'm always fascinated by the daily life of people living 500 years ago

If you aren't trained, then your opinion is worthless.

snails? GREAT for accessorizing.

>ctrl+f
>orientalism not found

This is in another fucking level

Needs more Winterhalter.

my nigger

Do you mean that only other artists should comment on artistic works?

Or do you instead mean that an artist who uses sight-size can never comment on an impressionist's work, or vice versa?

Who is this?

>trained

lmao

Will commence orientalist dump from my pinterest account

I'm not sure of the title of this one.

i do but i haven't done much. after years of admiring art I finally, seriously, picked up a brush a few months ago. good brushes and paints are mad expensive, yo.

I paint with oils and watercolour. Like the other user said good paints and brushes are insanely expensive. I like making my own paints and pigments. Some pigments are pretty easy to make or find and others can be sourced pretty readily from pigment suppliers or ground yourself from rocks or whatever else. It's a bit cheaper too, depending on if you have more expensive tastes(real ultramarine using lapis and the beeswax purification process, chromium, cadmium, etc), or are fine with stuff like making lead white from scrap lead and vinegar/yeast using stack process, or just taking nice coloured rocks/dirt and testing how they come out when mixed into paint (near my house we have this lovely fine rusty-red dirt that makes lovely oil paint but not so much watercolour).

it's a meme

maybe some of you don't realise but there are more paintings than just those made in the 19th century. might want to broaden your tastes a little

If you can't cook, you don't know what tastes good.
I paint and draw. /ic/ and here are the only boards I frequent. /ic/ is an alright board, a lot of people there prefer to discourage others rather than get better themselves, but it has plenty of resources for learning to drawt as well as references threads and occasionally a thread that actually talks about art.
But most of the time they just like to talk about why art school is bad or shit on people who are actually making money.

Check out Arthur Melville, Scottish watercolourist, painted loads of oriental scenes.

I agree with this sentiment. Ultrarealism has a lot of potential as an expressive form but mostly the style is not the means to an end but the end itself. I feel for the most part that ultrarealist paintings are empty exercises in fideloty to photographs, nothing more.

fidelity *