/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Epic Nose Bleeds Edition.

>Space Jam is over. Play games and leave feedback.
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta, as if that's an excuse)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/groups/agdg-audiofriends

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

>Chats
discord.gg/chquY2e
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

>Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

No MonoGame in OP
such sad times

Is Monogame under active development? They have such infrequent releases, like once a year.

Is MiniGame a real engine? Isn't it just something like SDL2?

Any UE4friends here? What should I do to get items to stack?

>making game that is about slowly building your space ship/crew
>doing concept art for alien races before I begin modeling
>only have shit ideas for aliens

Rate pls:
>aquatic crustacean folk based on the Anomalocaris, the cambrian explosion predator
>Amorphous Gel with suspended nanites
>three legged tripod people roughly the skin texture of a rhinoceros with single multi purpose manipulator frontal appendage
>flatworm colony
>parasitic species that are attached to various bodies (only three will be featured, three primate like species)
>humans

halp pls I need alien ideas

Yeah. Last commit was yesterday.
It's a framework. Its aim is to recreate XNA as an open source solution for game development as XNA was abandoned in 2013.
It takes care of a lot of the tedious shit for you.

None of these even have remotely compatible genitalia or sexual characteristics.

Hey look, Vinny is playing gwyn

i will pay you today, sir.

>*Sarabande intensifies*

wew

>UE4 is a good engine

UE4 Shouldn't be on the list, way too much overhead compared to other engines and most of the time useless except for the average "look at these graphics!!!" with horrible optimization and even more bugs.

EG; You haven't been able to use the orthographic camera for almost two entire years now because it doesn't actually work. I personally tried three times getting into the engine but each project barely got off the ground because all the issues.

Maybe once UE4 has matured in a few years it'll be a decent engine for creating games but right now its nothing but fancy graphics.

>flat shaded memepoly
Disgusting

Why are you ranting to me about UE4? I never even mentioned it.

>your face

Disgusting.

please don't tell me this is VR.

>matured

what are you talking about?

UE is one of the oldest engines around. If you can't make anything with UE4 then give up and declare yourself nodev.

What's with the pedophile OP?

How do I make a Stealth Metroidvania?
Should I play Mark of the Ninja for inspiration?
Also, what are some good settings for a Stealth Metroidvania?

Stealth is incredibly hard to do right, and mark of the ninja is one of the few games that does it right I guess.

got colored "flavor" text working
spent an embarrassingly huge amount of time getting this to work today
I'm thinking of letting them be able to ask for specific items, specific flavors which can be inherent to an item or added to an item, or a combination of the two

the problem with stealth is that you spend 50% of your time waiting, while you KNOW what you have to do

waiting in a high pressure situation is suspenseful though

Jeeze dude all your crap looks entertaining even though there's hardly anything there.

but waiting in a low pressure situation for the guards to all align their orbits is boring

Then add up a mechanic to speed up time while still or something.

IK is so much fun

i agree with this user ue4 is a mess:
>not newbie friendly
>not enough tutorials
>tonemapper makes everything look like shit if you arent going for realistic look
>material editor still miss some basic functions
>documentation is too scarce(even worse for c++)
>need to create workarounds in c++ because bp lack some functions(you cant even place game's window in right place using only bp)
>before 4.12.5 umg text element could lost all information with random chances
>EPIC keeps adding new bloating features
>updating to new versions creates more bugs than it fixes
>conversion to new version can make you lose days of debugging/testing because some part of your game could be now broken
can you make a game with it? sure
will it look smooth when full polished?probably not because its heavy as fuck even on mid tier gaming machine
is it suited for 1ma? No.

>Stealth Metroidvania

This seems to work better in 3d than 2d.
Batman: Arkham (whatever) and the Assassin's Creed series are fair examples of the genre.

I love your art-style

its not IK

do you mean in the literal sense?
in the literal sense, you just use an integer the represent the quantity of your item

thanks

FK? Sideways K?

Maybe throw a tiny random timing into their bouncing back and forth to prevend them syncing up. Unless you want that? Grass sin't sync'd so I guess not.

It looks really good, but I find the text bubbles swinging across the screen to be jarring.

Explain, I need help

SAVAGE

on their idle animations? i think that's just a coincidence, it's a short animation so it's easy for it to look synced

I have them automatically positioning to be on the opposite side of the player, I'll try having them spawn that way and then lock up so they don't flip on the fly

Almost all of these reasons are fucking stupid and you should be ashamed. It's not Game Maker and it's not marketed as such. Backwards-incompatible changes are unavoidable.

reminder to join the lewd jam and submit a lewd game

what even is.

>updating to new versions creates more bugs than it fixes
>conversion to new version can make you lose days of debugging/testing because some part of your game could be now broken
This happens in every game engine and is a massive problem for commercial projects. This is the main reason many studios only use in-house engines despite the development costs.

Nth for a perfect opportunity to make progress but no will to dev

the characters move with contracting joints only.

only if we cuddle after

why does it wobble around so much?

that's 50% of what makes it so great

it's sumotori dreams 2.0 I would buy in a heartbeat

It's not a criticism, I'm genuinely curious as to what is making it do that

you iterate over your item container looking for the id of the item you'd like to increase the count of and then you increase the count

basically the constraints haven't been fine tweaked to the point of absolute stability yet, they have to be perfect or else the characters joints create a feedback loop of spazzing causing them to spontaneously explode. i'm leaving all the constraints loose for now until the movement and combat are to my liking.

A day of work later, I've removed the underwear from this small animal robot.

I hope you sick fucks enjoy.

its a buggy mess right now though. i'm trying to get it as playable as possible for demo day but physics based characters with this many joints is hard.

dropping all pretense that there may still be a few straggler normies that wondered into your game by accident?

you usually get enough replies telling you to fuck off, but I like your game

I don't know how I feel about the scanlines though

i don't like this in first person. first person sword fighting games never work well and you lose the charm you get from when the guy does his weird karate kicks

keep it up user, looking good! definitely like it without undies more

WebmBro mangles the effect, it's fairly subtle and not obnoxious in the game itself. Need to eventually find a way to make decent webms / gifs of this thing, the amount of colors and frames mangles all the compression I've tried so far.

Yeah! That'll sure show em!

>sick fucks
It looked 10x as pedophilic with undies and you know it.

If your MC wasn't a gay furry dog you'd get no replies.

Honestly dude as much as I think your game is a waste of talent just do whatever you really want to do and don't worry about those of us who probably won't even play this sick filth.

Remember that through video compression is how many people will be initially exposed to your game.

Sorry that didn't help me at all

MY NAME IS INIGO MONTOYA.webm

>mullet physics

and a face to haunt your nightmares

Look at the OP.

You're in a pedophile general.

*lolicon

It should likely save work in the long term.
Sure, but if I were posting them anywhere but here I'd probably make a serious effort to look into it. Guess I could idly do that while I work on other stuff.

How do you guys like this style of outlining? I think I might break up the armor into more outlined pieces to make it easier to tell what you can click on to destroy.

Axe outlines way too jaggy.
Bra outline stopping at armlet thing is weird as heck.
Leg going under underwear that way seems off too.

but what exactly is happening? different muscles are contracting to counteract each other with increasingly large exertion until the system spazzes out, is that it?

His art is good. If he had a loli protagonist instead this general would be all over his game.

Yes.
Too bad he's a mentally ill furfag.

>these reasons are fucking stupid
i dont like this reasons that will make my final game look and play like shit and make my devving even more frustrating than using another engine because i say so.ok user
how about physics in viewport are different from final game even with fixed physics steps(so you need to package final game multiple times and takes from 1 to 3 minutes based on your rig)
how about ue4 using his custom AA that looks like shit?
how about cant even create an async loading screen
how about using "if" renders 2 copies of the shader creating a huge workload on gpu for no reason?(using a bool inside a parameter collection could solve this but no you need to create a workaround)
how about particle system takes so much gpu that makes your game run at 2 fps

even AAA title made in unreal run like shit.
yes and thats a good reason to stick with a more stable engine that actually fixes bugs before adding more useless stuff

lol what a shit degenerate you are! Here's a (you) go kill yourself!

Yeah, I'm still cleaning up all the curves, that outline is the auto-generated one, aseprite has some pretty cool tools.

I'll go with breaking the armor/clothes into more pieces, so stuff like the bra-armlet flows better. Thanks!

Here's your reply.

Thanks, where did you find it? I've been looking for it all day.

i was just testing out different camera angles. i agree its weird. ill probably do some kind of over the shoulder for melee.

i actually started working on this before i knew that game existed but its kind of akward to find out someone is basically doing something similiar.

Its more like one object jerks because unity didnt like that collision and then it creates a chain reaction that makes the character fly apart.

>unity didnt like that collision

???

Sometimes unity throws a hissy fit when objects with configurable joints collide as far as i can tell.

How do I innovate on the point and click adventure genre in a way that will appease to people who illegitimize VNs and adventure games because they don't have "gameplay"

Add gameplay.

Ask Gogem.

no shit sherlock
how?

a game about adventures

How do I code a more advanced scoring system for a shmup in Game Maker? All the tutorials I found only have simple basic stuff, but I was thinking of something more modern like CAVE style.

>make the actions and items that you use follow some kind of precise logic
>be consistent in what you can affect

Going in the opposite diretion, I'd like to see a demake of point and clicks, where you have no itemse, and there is exactly one pixel that you have to find and click on. if you can make that fun, you've solved point and clicks.

Take gameplay
Put into point and click genre
????
Profit!!

>how do I code this incredibely vague thing
Write down the exact rules that you want it to follow. Congratulations! You've written your psuedocode. Now translate it to dragondrop

I don't think drag n drop would be enough for a scoring system. Pretty sure you also have to use scripting language there.

you don''t have to pander to people who don't like these types of games
just make what you like and hold yourself to a high standard

write out the logic and then turn it into code

Yes, but I was hoping you guys perhaps know an example of a more advanced scoring code.