What's your favorite ethnic group throughout Veeky Forumstory?

Which groups religious practices, languages, art, warfare, and such intrigues you the most?

Indo-Europeans dominate my list, with particular interest in Germanic and Iranic folk. Iran as the greatest IE power in Asia, and Germanic as it includes my own ethnicity.

What about you? What's your aboo-ism?

Mongols.
I admire the hell out of their "eat the earth" campaign. That's the kinda tactics I go for in strategy games.

Antike hellas.

I like Islam's way of basically worldwide genocide of non-Muslims and Muslims.

Ancient Greeks (not to be confused with modern Greeks).

Basques

Those mountain niggers kept fighting off romans and franks and shit for centuries

vikings. because they are fucking brutal as fuck.

>lowqualitybait.svg.png

I want to say celts.

They became part of the Roman Empire thought.
And are pretty rich and Westerneuropean-like.

Romans and the French.

Mongols.

I wish i could get into Turks because they are like mongols except theres more literature on them but turks dont have the allure mongols do.

I also like russians.

I'm an aryanaboo(sassanid) and a byzantaboo.

>Turks don't have the allue Mongols do.
>Literally the only Nomadic subgroup that can create a sedentary state without collapsing.

They're still T*rks though.

Turkic =/ turk

Arabs, Enlightenment era French and Germans (Prussians).

Yeah i know user. I've tried a bunch of times but ive never been able to get absorbed like i did with the mongols.

Celt is a meme ethnicity, Gaels have little in common with Gauls or Anatolian Celts.

Pict aka Scythians.

To badd there is nothing on them

Sarmatians

My favourite people: Tutsis

My favourite society: pre-colonial Rwanda

My favourite civilization: the Amhara-Tigray

The societies that have obsessed me: China since I was a child; Carthage, Rwanda, Korea and Catalonia since I was a teenager; Ethiopian societies since I was 25.

>Gauls or Anatolian Celts.
They are the same people

Anatolian Celts were the Galli Graeci while Gauls were the Galli-Celti

Southerners

Sarmatians and Scythians, Mongols, Proto Germanic Peoples & Gauls

Mandaeans. They're the only Gnostics sticking around and have never convert nor their language has faded out. Based as fuck. Hopefully they won't die out in the next century or so.

Persians. Also love how much overlap Indo-Europeans have with each other with armor in Antiquity to early Middle Ages.

shit tier bait

The Mayans. Obviously.

Their culture still fucking exists in the far flung corners of the rain forest, in a righteously fought and earned existence from the plague of Spanish enslavement and the erosion of time. After all that, their culture still lives on.

They're OP in age of empires for a reason.

Japan
>inb4 weeaboo
because I find the modernization they went through during the meiji era absolutely fascinating,

and also France, with its rich military history

not a specific ethnicity, but Eurasian horse nomads in general , Including Iranian ones(Sarmatians, Scythians, Alans) and Altaic ones( Tatars, Uzbeks, etc.) Fuck Mongols though. Fucking overrated horsefuckers that give normies a boner cause of "muh brootal badasses", the cunts literally fucked up Central Asia irreversably.

> Islam's way of basically worldwide genocide of non-Muslims
Considering pre-Islamic religions like zoroastrians, Mandeans, and Christians still exist in lands they conquered, they did a pretty shit job at genociding considering Pagans were all but wiped out in Europe

Zoroastrian Iranian lands suffered a long period of intolerance, subjugation, and trauma under the Caliphate's taxing and the large scale massacres aimed at decimating the intellgensia of Persians and other Iranian people.

Hell the Khwarmazians lost their entire language.

Germans, Chinese, Greeks, Polish and somewhat french

Still, they exist to this day. Which is more than can be said for any Pagan religions in Europe.

Also, The initial Arabs didn't really try to decimate zoroastrians. Only After the Persian influenced Abbasid Government took control did Muslim Persian governers turn on their own non-Muslim subjects

That never happened. Under the Rashidun and especially the Umayyads, anti-Iranian policies were quite rampant. It wasn't until much later on in the Abbassids period that Iran became majority Islamic.

Please stop deflecting, Arabs quite regularly committed atrocities against non-Arab minorities and ethnic groups. And they were even more so intolerant of Zoroastrians and Christians in particular.

The Zoroastrians primarily exist in India and the West. Even to this day in Iran, Christianity is growing faster then Zoroastrianism is.

I like Turks as historical figures but I also kind of hate them since I'm a Serb. Weird stuff.

How did the mongols fuck up central asia irreversibly?

Central asia started going down the toilet centuries after the Mongols had power.

>How did the mongols fuck up central asia irreversibly?
They didn't.

It's just that the settled peoples have finally had enough of their shit. Coupled with innovations the Steppenig mounted archer cannot effectively counter (i.e. massed firearms).

Tsarist Russia, Ming to Qing China, and Safavid Persia all had a part to play with the eventual demise of Steppenigging, ending with the genocide of the Dzungars - romanticized as the last Nomadic empire- by the Qing Dynasty.

What did the Safavids have to do with Central Asia? They were mainly focused on the Caucaus and Mesopotamia. Is there something I'm missing in my memory?

Adjusted for birth rates, Baha'i is actually the fastest growing religion

In Iran? I'm not so sure about that. Christianity in Iran is growing approximate by 3% each year for the last 11 years.

Halted the Uzbeks and their shit. Uzbeks are literally who people today, but cunts forget that they ended the Timurid dynasty and were trying to carve out their own empire up until Safavid went DEEBLY GONCERND (seriously. Ottomans to the west, Mughs to the East) and launched wars that limited their spread to Central Asia alone.

Same thing nigger

Christians were the majority in the MENA beofre islam, and now they're less than a 5%.

This is clearly a genocide.

>. Uzbeks are literally who people today
>impying this motherfucker would take shit from some feminine persian cuck
In all seriousness though, the Uzbeks are the best to play as and form Bukhara in EU4.

Or they simply converted to Islam? there is no record of any mass killing beyond the usual conqueror antics
i'm not saying Zoroastrians didn't go under a degree of oppression- as would be expected of a subjugated people at the time . But saying they faced wholesale genocide is disingenuous

There are still millions of Christians in MENA. After a millennium of Islamic rule of course they're gonna eventually convert. If the caliphates wanted to genocide MENA Christians and Jews don't you think they would have done it already? Especially considering the Jews' already low population. Taxing them was more beneficial.

>Especially considering the Jews' already low population. Taxing them was more beneficial
Considering how things turned out with zionism maybe they made a terrible decision

afrikaner-boo

The attempt to destroy the Persian language and doing so with other Iranian groups constitute a form of genocide technically speaking.

t. Konstantinopoulos Papalexandropoulos Hippopotamus

There was an attempt at that?

For some reason I get hungry for Chipotle Burritos and tortilla chips whenever it think about Mayans

Khwaramians lost their language after all.

>ethnic group
Dixieboos sure are pretty stupid.

I'm starting to have a love affair w/ the Poles. On the surface, they're another also-ran civilization, but considering all the internal issues they faced, it's actually incredible what they managed to accomplish. I'm honestly amazed it took over a century from The Deluge for the first partition of Poland to occur.

Politics aside, they're another interesting transitional culture where elements of East and West blend together.

Forgot pic.

Actually, the idea that white southerners are an ethnic group is definitely out there in academia. Contested, but it exists.

I thought cultural genocide was vetoed by France when the UN was being formed? Pretty sure it qualifies as ethnic cleansing, however.

What is the difference between the two?

Scythians I like in particular just for the metal description Herodotus gives them

A bunch of guys covered largely in tools and cloth made of human skin and bone, who worship a blood soaked sword on a mound of sticks and severed arms, and spend their time breathing in pot smoke burned on bonfires fueled by human bone while drinking from human skulls.

>charging the pike and gun head on
oh shit negrito what are you doing

Wait, pict = scythian?

>Indo-Europeans

Not an ethnic group.

Lithuanians, but only because I know very little about them but liked them in the tuetonic campaign

My own
Anglo-Gael

Lithuanians, but only because I know very little about them but liked them in the Teutonic campaign

Haitian-Arab,
Greek.

Various pagan religions were the majority in Europe before Christianity, now they're not even 1%, and on top of that the vast majority of religions have been forgotten to history and those that we still have knowledge of their existence still have plenty of missing records. At least if the Middle East wanted to converted back to Christianity and Zoroastrianism those religions are still alive today.

By your logic, this is a genocide too.

Egyptians, Romans, Berbers/ Moors, Celts, Japanese and Vikings.

Pretty standard stuff.

Are Latins an ethnic group? Whatever the founders of the early Roman Republic were.

>Anglo-Gael

That's not a thing muh heritage burger

tfw when American

*Catalonia.
What. We would anyone obsess about us.

The Romans

Slavic people, because they've successfully survived and even thrived in an competitive environment,caught between the warlike Germanic tribes of the west and the north, and the martially indomitable Asiatic tribes of the steppes.They've conquered and colonized more than half of Europe's territory, it's westernmost tribes have founded a multitude of modern-day German cities in eastern and northern Germany.They' somehow succeeded in downing the French, Khazar and Swedish Empires, Hitler's Germany ,the Teutonic Order and the Golden Hordes of Asia, had the first stately constitution, produced the best literature, languages are somewhat interchangeable even though it's speakers were separated for many centuries and because they house the largest percentage of blonde-haired people in Europe.

Hussar lances were two feet longer than your average pike.

Mongoloid raids and invasions as some of the deadliest conflicts in human history.

Large areas of Asia were seriously depopulated,[6] as every city, village or town was subject to destruction. Each soldier was required to execute a certain number of persons, with the number varying according to circumstances. For example, after the conquest of Urgench, each Mongol warrior – in an army group that might have consisted of two tumens (units of 10,000) – was required to execute 100 people [7].

Mongoloid invasions induced population extermination on a scale never seen before particularly in Central Asia and eastern Europe.
Mongol conquests anhilated 70,000,000+ 1206–1324 Eurasia
Conquests of Tamerlane anhilated 20,000,000+ 1370–1405 Eurasia
Turko-Mongoloid conquests anhilated 300,000,000+ 200-1920 Eurasia

Not him but I would actually agree that what happened to pre-christian europe counts as a genocide of sorts.

>French, Khazar and Swedish Empires, Hitler's Germany ,the Teutonic Order and the Golden Hordes of Asia
Two of these don't count though, because Napoleonic France, and Hitler's Germany were in unwinnable situations long term due to being at war with all the major powers of the time. If all Napoleon or Hitler had to worry about was Russia, they would have won.

turkomongols are literally dindu nothing but mass murder, commit nigh acts of genocide and set humanity and civilization back centuries. Nothing can be any worse then them.

if the turkomongols never adopted scythian lifestyle (horse, wheel, chariot, crossbow, steel, metallurgy), then central asia would still be the shining beacon of light leading the world.

tocharians, sogdian, bactrians, khwarezmians would continue to advance at the forefront of civilisation and lead the world.

no bubonic plague

>Slavic people, because they've successfully survived and even thrived in an competitive environment,caught between the warlike Germanic tribes of the west and the north, and the martially indomitable Asiatic tribes of the steppes
Accurately reflected in Mount & Blade. If you're not having to deal with the strongest infantry faction + nice-head-on-your-shoyders, it's the scariest horseniggers from the mountain paths. Vaegir players deserve total respect.

>Still, they exist to this day. Which is more than can be said for any Pagan religions in Europe.
Just as the various semetic pagan faiths of the middle east do.. oh wait the koran is a book containing a long series of brutal military campaigns against them, generally ending with the slaugther of unarmed men and children and the rape of the women before they were also killed.

>Zoroastrians
Numerous cases of wholesale slaughter, currently religious practices are banned in iran and the construction or use of towers of silence is illegal. Numerous cases of laws designed to intentionally fuck over Zoroastrians, numerous cases of confiscation or desecration of zoroastrian holy sites. The province of Bukhara holds the award for needing to be "converted" four times before the wholesale destruction of temples,

Zoroastrians used to be the dominant religion of the middle east, today they number ~150k worldwide with the second largest population outside Iran being in Australia a grand total of 157 fire temples still remain, along with absolutely no towers of silence outside of india.

And that's before we start considering the Arabic attempts to rewrite Iranian history to insert themselves in, including the entirely ficticious marriage between Husayn and Shahrbanu (the latter of which simply never existed).

>Manicheans
Literally extinct thanks to the efforts of the catholic church in europe and various islamic actions in the middle east.

>Mandeans
Was the dominant religion in southern iraq at the time of mohummed, today numbers 10k adherents and has a long and documented history of being shat on by their muslim rulers

>Buddhists and Hindus
Long records of temple destruction, confiscation of land and massacres by their invaders. Some excellent hindu poems about muslims slaughtering civilians and crucifying them with trees cut from sacred groves. We have accounts of muslim commanders in india using the charge of hinduism or buddhism as sufficient to confiscate not only the property and possessions of the condemned and put them to death, but their entire family as well.

We also have some fun records of islamic military leaders attacking large structures and killing the inhabitants before discovering that it was full of books and scrolls, and that they'd left nobody alive who could read them. Then praising themselves for capturing it without losing any men.

>Egyptian Polytheism
Combination of Christianity and islam happily wiped this one out along with numerous other polytheistic religions in northern africa.

just as arbitrary as most other ethnic groups desu senpai

Probably the Germans or Spaniards

Anyone who used close helmets

All Indo-European groups are fascinating to me.

This is Germanic armor right?

No, that looks very eastern Indo European. Not northern Indo European.

Likely Slavic or Iranic.

Im a dirty Romeaboo idgaf senpai

>Romaboo
Pretty pleb taste unless you've got a hard on for the more obscure periods.

Pretty sure that's a late 6th to mid 7th century Sassanid cavalryman's armor.

When you contrast with you see lots of overlap in general in armor designs and helmets between various Indo-European groups pretty hard. Though I heard theories that Sassanid Persia was also trading with middlemen in Eurasia that might've lead back to Germanics as well.

I have a hard on for caeser, Im a filthy fuckin pleb.
Watching Rome (the hbo series) and reading the Conquest of Gaul made my erection only stronger.

Chinese. Iranian. French.

Hellenics of course, I'm also a fan of the Muslims during the medieval period. Not strictly an ethnic group but I don't want to be too exclusionary since they even had Kurds running empires at that point.

Han Chinese definitely.

The cultural evolution, societal structure and art up until the Ming dynasty was way ahead of most of the world.

Ashkenazi Jews

iberians, it's surprising how much of a fuck-up can they be while still remaining somewhat succesful

Godtier: Portuguese, Dutch, Hun, Prussia, Sparta, Saracen

Flexible elite maybe?

Hon. mentions Winged Hussar & Oprinichs

Next tier: Romans, Mongols, Germanic.

Anglo tier: Anglo-saxons