What will you do when combustion engines become obsolete...

What will you do when combustion engines become obsolete? They are already obsolete in a sense (don't lie to yourself) and they're being phased out right now as we speak.

Other urls found in this thread:

popsci.com/tesla-model-s-70-owners-can-pay-more-to-unlock-their-full-battery
suicidepreventionlifeline.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Veeky Forums will be posting their creative motor cooling solutions and current limiter defeat boards while whining about the slaps they want always being out of stock on bigcartel...

Enjoy my ICE powered sports car when I'm free and daily drive my electric grocery getter to work

endless wanking about "big current" vs "high voltage", yah you, ya current-faggot. Get with the HV program.

So what gloves are /ECD/ wearing to work on your car? I just picked up these Salisburys, but I'm probably going to exchange them for their Vegan protector option.

Buy an electric car?

I don't see ICE being obsolete, just complimented by more electric motors and 3 and 4 stage sequential turbos with variable vanes etc.

I know you're baiting here but they are not obsolete yet. You wanna know why?

Because just a little amount of gasoline still stores a fuckton more energy than the equivalent in displacement of the most hightech batteries available today.

ICE will be obsolete when battery tech is able to realistically compete (batteries in trunk size, same amount of range, less than 5k to replace, at least 100k miles /10years lifetime)

Im going to unplug the battery and wear one of those static bracelets that you use for computers.

Nah, you're a faggot.

If you're not hyped for electric cars and electric sports cars you need to get out

>>>/reddit/

>hyped for short range heavy as fuck cars

Diesel is much better, Hybrid Diesel supercars would be the shit. Full electric is retarded since you can't make your own power, you have to store it from another source

Electric cars fit so well into the current fad of "never having to grow up".

They're like big RC cars, even sound like them.

>4500lbs 4 door boat faster than mustang in a line
>similar track times
kek
mustang BTFO

It has more power and instant torque yet still looses.

>a mountain of batteries and a few electric motors are the future
someone fell for tesla marketing and pop science

hehe xd

yea, but at least its naturally aspirated.
Can't blame for for trying :/

too soon junior
the Tesla only exists as a luxury car for one reason
and that is because it weighs a fuck tonne witch is fine for a luxo barge

>They are already obsolete in a sense (don't lie to yourself
But that's wrong. There are still myraid uses that preclude the battery limitations that come with electric motors

>naturally aspirated

It got it's power from a powerplant. I wouldn't say those are naturally aspirated

>costs 70k more
>12 seconds slower to 150

The ford is naturally aspirated ya dingus

I doubt it will happen in out lifetime. Big oil runs the show at the moment, lobbyist will keep it that way.

>shelby GT500
>NA

and I'm the dingus?

>What will you do when combustion engines become obsolete?
Same thing as with steam engines, rocket engines, jet engines and horses.
The ICE has too much of a following to just disappear.
People will still be designing, building and modifying the ICE for decades if not centries.

You mean to tell me the gt500 has FI and still slower than the electric sedan?

mustang BTFOx2

>slower
No, you're thinking of the Model S. It's 12 seconds slower to 150.

if I were in big oil right now id be de vesting capital into rare earth metals and hoarding as many battery types as corporately possible
others I've talked to say that they are too balls deep in hydrogen cells to give a shit

either way the mass market is going to be cornered right from the get go

>Full electric is retarded since you can't make your own power, you have to store it from another source
This statement is pants on head retarded. Cars can't make gasoline. Electric motors still convert (energy cannot be "made") chemical energy (batteries) to kinetic energy. Just like internal combustion motors convert chemical energy (gasoline) to kinetic energy.

>slower

it beat it in almost every aspect

0-60 is all that matters irl

the electrical energy is made somewhere else and stored into batteries.

That's two artificial steps.

Gasoline only needs one.

Thats just it.
The thing that is so shit about electric cars is that they won't be any fucking good on the high way.
Past what? 70 mph they can't accelerate.
My fucking 13 year old TDI could pull its pants down at that speed by just dropping into 3ed.

A lot of guys are gonna be very upset when they realise their "super car" is actually slow as fuck.

>b-but it's faster
>gets btfo
>muh 0-60
lmao @ ur life

>0-60

well shit, I guess the Ariel Atom with much less power is a better car.

Energy storage has a lot of overlap with Physics and I can tell you from experience that the ICE will never be obsolete in anyone on here's lifetimes.

By the very nature of how it stores energy an electric battery will always be limited because it has to be recharged in a somewhat reasonable time. This means it has issues with chemical stability, energy stability and energy density.

A combustion engine has a large energy density because for a start, part of the reaction which is oxygen is carried in our environment - they don't need to worry about storing it with the fuel.

And secondly the bonds you break and create to produce energy when combusting fuel are a lot more energetic than the bands of electrons you pull of from an ion battery in an electric car.

There's an amazingly small market for such vehicles. The majority of new vehicle purchases are for company fleets. Short term reliability and fuel efficiency is all that matters. Not sure about other countries but in Australia taxis for example are mandated to be no more than 8years old. Most companies resell vehicles after 3 years to maintain maximum resale. a cars utility for meeting asset procurement criteria dictates it's success.

except the one that actually matters

mustang BTFO x3

That's why they're trying to make air/oxygen batteries moron.

>model s costs 70k more
>still slower to 150
kek, tesla fangirls on suicide watch

Feels good to be on the cutting edge.

If I go full Trump I won't forget you guys.

how far do you get on that?

>post yfw tesla literally cannot outperform a mustang that costs 70k less

>Make batteries that oxidize
>Now have to de-oxidize them when you recharge using huge amounts of power
>Our power will still be coal/oil/gas for the next 100 years at least unless we use Nuclear

top kek

unlike the mustang, the atom can turn.

mustang BTFOX5

That's because tesla is evil and incompetent.

It's single gear, and they said they couldn't make a transmission because they 'kept breaking them'

That's just bad engineering. Transmissions are proven and feasible for electric motors.

see
and get btfo

I see solar off grid systems with battery banks more feasible. You don't even need that big of a panel since you store the energy and use it only when you need it.

Also then you can live almost anywhere.

ITT:TESLA FANGIRLS BTFO!!!

>Everyone in the world using offgrid power and batteries

made me laugh mate I'll give you that.

Being pro electric drives is not pro tesla.

Infact they are really scummy and make my blood boil.

Automotive DLC
popsci.com/tesla-model-s-70-owners-can-pay-more-to-unlock-their-full-battery

Now stop memeing.

RIP mustang
may you forever hold a place in our hearts ;/

>mustang BTFOx6

YOU LITERALLY CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP!!!!!!

>mustang slower than civic and Tesla

mustang BTFOx7

38 miles, recharges in 2 hrs. Not the full battery I intend on using for production, just a prototype with plenty of extra space.

Buy an electric that runs on something other than a battery.

>implying

Why not? You like bills? Good goy.

suicidepreventionlifeline.org

>tesla fangirls BTFO so hard they stopped replying

>p-petrol is finished, batteries are the future

It's hilariously unfeasible and astronomically expensive if you look into the prices of all the equipment you would require and the area of solar panels in anywhere remotely northern, the volume of batteries and how much you'd have to replace them.

Then the fact that you're never going to be able to provide this for businesses who are still going to buy from the grid, which means you still require the full electrical grid to exist anyway.

Until we have a good method of energy storage, solar is a pipe dream unless you build it in space and I seriously doubt we are going to have a good method of energy storage for a very, very long time.

What is refining?
What are gas stations?
Who's the biggest retard of them all you

Yes gasoline have more easily accessible joules per pound than pretty much any other material know to man, but you can just run the crude that comes straight out of the well in your car

>tesla

>Yes gasoline have more easily accessible joules per pound than pretty much any other material know to man
>who's the biggest retard of them all
you're fucking retarded on so many different levels and I'm not even the guy you're arguing with

How does that make it inherently better? If anything gasoline is a lot less efficient because it is a lot more efficient for a big power plant running on coal/uranium/sun/wind to convert energy than a bunch of small engines. All that heat your engine gives off is energy that is being wasted.
So on top of paying a couple of dollars a gallon for gasoline, you are wasting a lot of the energy stored in it. It is only a couple of cents per kWh for electricity and you can charge your car at home instead of having to go to a gas station.
Also this
I would like to add to that person's point that uranium has a ridiculously high joules per pound, entire submarines can run of decades on just a little bit of the stuff.

>le solar meme
Nuclear reactors dude. And good batteries. That's where it's at.

Boats run on crude oil, I bet you'd be able to reverse engineer a car to run crude oil

There was a future until they literally burned it to the ground.

Try making an ice car from the ground up with components online, then talk to me.

Your overuse of the le sour grapes lemon face meme is disturbing.

>this assmad

I'm saying it's fuel is used off the vehicle and electricity is transferred from powerstations through powerlines and the like and is just stored in the car.

it isn't about accessibility, i'm saying the way it goes about using it's energy is inefficient. It doesn't make it's own power off fuel, it only siphons power from a storage bank (Batteries or high storage capacitors).

see above, electric is efficient, and the best way to go about making gasoline more efficient is to have a hybrid setup.

Nuclear cars would be the most efficient but we all know the problems with that.

No it isn't off grid hobos have been using $200 240 watt solar panels and junkyard batteries for years. Get a decent charge controller and you're good.

Also the batteries I have will be able to go 150k miles before reaching 80% of their original capacity and I spent a grand on em. Even with only 80% of their original capacity they will be more than enough for my home.

Commit sudoku
I will never EVER own a car that has an electric motor

Gasoline is already dirty and leaves a lot of sludge in engines. Modern engines are a lot better than the old ones in terms of performance and efficiency because of shit like variable valve timing and fuel injection which requires a lot of small holes which would not work at all with crude.
This dude has the right idea. Nothing right now can even compete with fission reactors let alone fusion reactors which are still highly experimental but show promise.

Should have guessed it, get bored of shitposting your wifu on /a/ dweeb?

gb2 facebook

Good, kill yourself right now.

Your car has an altenator, which is a generator, which by definition is an electric motor.

Have fun doing this without an electric motor you ignorant fuckface.

Technically It's the opposite of an electric motor, but it still operates similarly
Solar panels are improving but the only place they are worth it is in the desert. Solar panels would cost each household thousands in panels alone for a regular house. 240 watts is nothing. Batteries and a charge controller will cost even more thousands.

why are there so many electric car shills on Veeky Forums? no one here is going to buy your pos tesla, gtfo.

>Anyone who disagrees with me is a shill