/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

>Space Jam is over. Play games and leave feedback.
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta, as if that's an excuse)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/groups/agdg-audiofriends

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

>Chats
discord.gg/chquY2e
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

>Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10950922
tumblr.com/blog/projectmanuscript
projectmanuscript.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Are you joining the lewd jam?

Nope, can't draw.

first for cactus lewd jam progress

Was thinking of making a game with Breeding Season Assets but then got bored and went back to my main project.

how to lose 7 pounds in 1 second.

I'm a bit blue. My rents basically just had a huge go at me telling me I'll never achieve anything in the games industry, that I'll never make any money and should forget it. They're constantly doing it.

I'm not going to give up on my dream ever, but if I do make it? I'm never going to talk to them again.

Requesting for this to be canon.

Almost done with level 2 of this game.

I almost have something playable.

Posting progress

I'm not going to make a game just for the jame, but I'll make a lewd monster for my game.

Are you NEET?

>FFVIII SNES edition

>SNES
>not windows 97 edition

I only just left my job. I have a degree and job experience and stuff, but I am currently unemployed. I spend my time job searching and making art.

Don't give up but at the same time you need to be realistic. Indie game dev really is very unlikely to make you much money, probably not enough to support a family and these days probably not enough to even own a home. You need a backup plan.

his game will never be finished

Parents are mostly assholes. My mother also constantly told me I'd never be an artist, although I just made it as a hobby anyway. As if it's their business what kind of hobbies you have.

I thought you'll go full 3D on that, but that looks amazing. This kind of technique reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics. Looking forward to it.

I use sharp edges and autosmooth also, check it out

I think the trick is to fake detail that isn't there while also not overdoing it, it really helps sell the illusion. I'm going to have to redo my floor though because I went nuts with the 3d effect.

I like your cactus! use more color variation, shadows should go to "cool" instead of black. use a lot of reference

its pretty brutal to realize but the truth is you're ultimately just a money machine for your parents to ensure their smooth retirement. they see you taking a risk as a risk to their future, thats why it makes them so angry

Square effect seems rather out of place...

this is so baldur's gate it hurts

it hurts good

eeeeeeeee
it's too cute

drop the outline

yeah I dropped it already. I still want an outline but definitely not like that

Looks great but where's the gameplay? What will the game be like?

The original black outline on the character is quite enough senpai

Accuracy/Evasion is implemented. I made them visible as a stat, but not directly modifiable (they're generated based on equipment and dex/speed). Though theoretically I could add potions and stuff to modify them like any other stat if I wanted. I didn't want the effects of evasion/accuracy to be too detrimental (ie you can't hit things that are 10 levels higher than you at all), so right now the algorithm is basically:
PercentToHit = 80 + (Accuracy - Evasion) / 2, where the evasion modifier is clamped from -70 to 20. Accuracy is modified by half of dex, while evasion is half of speed, so values probably won't get above 100 in the game, but who knows.

calm down mate

you manage a dungeon store and interact with the monster customers

I'm working on gameplay today! I realised last night I don't even need pathfinding, which is great

jesus christ dude get rid of all that nasty-ass motion blur. looks like its straight outta default UE4

How do you make a macro photon bubble that doesn't look like shit? Additive blending looks too dull on dark backgrounds, but regular sprites don't give off any glow.

>minimap

*magic sounds* A HA

it's just his toaster framerate doing it

Use a sprite AND additive blending?

I'm not stealing any assets and I haven't done sound effects yet, but I may record myself doing it just for that spell.

>additive blending looks dull

I'm pretty sure that dude is working on mechanics and could give a shit about post processing right now. Unless I am wrong and this is truly a game where UE4 Mannequins slay Infinity Blade spiders.

the webm records at 25fps, so it's mostly that. looks fine running at 60fps though. I'll probably play with it at some point though

I did turn off auto-exposure and it's a lot better now since the brightness isn't constantly changing every 5 seconds

here

should i go talking heads with voice acting a la Fallout (with text boxes for less important NPCs) or should I just go text boxes for all dialogue.

What programming language makes autismo features "optional"?
Optional in this context means that the autismo features are handled "behind the screen", but if I wanted I could autist mode.

Example - Not having to have to define variable types by default, but being able to define a variable as a certain type if I want to.

I can make music but I can't draw.

Can I make lewd music in a .exe and submit it as-is?

you can make music for someone's game you silly goose

Sounds boring. I'm just going to draw a penis in a piano roll and export a .mp3

actionscript

>changed laser beam to macro photon bubble
As a thank you, I grant you this rare pepe.

Make inside pure white

We're starting on the mobile port, and are making some changes to the gameplay based on the feedback from the jam.

The way that planets attract and repel meteors was unclear in the jam game. Now blue planets attract blue meteors and repel red meteors, and vice versa. If a planet has both blue and red layers, its effect is whichever layer it has more of. This tends to cause planets to form single color planets, which are more powerful.

I didn't show the whole screen in this webm.

Would you play/buy a side separate game/little mobile portable version of bokube with a mobile focus Agdg? (and a brown bunny instead of Boku).

I got a guy who is willing to build it up for me while I work on the main game.

Also, if you're making a mobile port polish the graphics a bit more.

>lewd jam
>a jam specifically aimed at artists
Not surprised considering what this place is.

>brown bunny
remove

Is there anything in particular you don't like? The vertex displacement shader on the meteors and the sun is a style choice, but the rest can use some work.

I'm not sure if I'd buy your main game. But I likely wouldn't buy it twice unless it was GOTY.

Practically speaking if it works on mobile then that's just more chances to make sales.

but I thought people only bought microtransactions on mobile stores. It does sound like it'd make a good mobile game though.

please take a few seconds and participate in this straw poll

strawpoll.me/10950922
strawpoll.me/10950922

Level generation is starting to take more than half a second.

Thanks to the kind user that recommended tree stumps for comfiness, I went ahead and made them indestructible. Going to add ponds or some type of water soon. And actual gameplay too, I swear this time. Will juice it up soon as well.

wtf my dick is hard as diamond seeing her in a nazi uniform

Decrease the density on your grass/dandelions and break up the flat bits of grass.

The shadows on the hedges are too long compared to the shadows on everything else.

I want to make art for someone project, preferably sprite art. Anyone need an art monkey? I can do 3D as well...

I would need art.

Got anywhere I can look up your project?

tumblr.com/blog/projectmanuscript

Any unrealfriends here?

What's the best method of storing inventory information? Make the inventory an array of structs? An array of actors?

Those critters are disturbing

read the rest of the post

fuck, wrong link
projectmanuscript.tumblr.com/
>it takes 7 click to reach your tumblr blog page

i made this blog yesterday early morning so not much content there yet

also, what kind of commitment are you willing to make?

you can't fuck the bunny user

Ayyyyyy, I animated something

Is this a Luna Lovegood fangame?

Good call on the shadows, but I don't think I agree with the density of the flowers and grass. (The dandelion patch in particular was actually pretty abnormally huge.)

I'll go ahead and break up the textureless bits of grass a tad though.

mine is an array of uobjects. I delete the actor from the world when picked up and respawn a new actor when I put it back in the world

No

try and stop me I'm gonna fuck this cros

What's the difference between an actor an a uobject? I know you're using C++ but my BP inventory was horribly cumbersome and did a lot of weird shit

For example, here I was trying to get the name of an inventory object and create a UMG widget to display it, but I had to actually spawn the inventory item in the world just to look at its data

You could also randomise the centring of the grass/mushrooms by a few pixels and occasionally flip horizontally them for more variety.

That screenshot seems to have some grass on top of a mushroom, layers son

What sort of art do you need? Not much of an indication from just the book spread.

Grappling hook mechanics are finally finished. It now allows grabbing objects and pulling them in, or shooting it at a ceiling and going up or down by reeling the rope in or out. Pretty much it works like a real grappling hook would.
Now I have to figure out a way for the friendly npc to follow the player when moves around like a spiderman, since adding AI code enabling the NPCs to use the grappling hook would be a nightmare and not worth the time.

this is really cool fampai

If you haven't worked it out yet, your protagonist is almost invisible.

Adorable sprites, what's the game?

It's basically what you have except your blueprint's parent should be Object, not Actor. Then you don't have to spawn it. Actors are things which exist in the world, and Actor is a child of Object. Object is the base class for all Unreal classes.

anyone still watching the game dev anime?

how is it?

I like your strange game, I'm glad you're not dead

It's super interesting.

Any opinion on the Coursera Unity course ? Seems like a decent introduction to game dev.

wow thanks

It's my hobby so i will be never dead, but some features take longer to implement and my time is not unlimited (and sometimes i get lazy and take a day or two breaks), so even though i'm not posting every day i'm definitely not quitting any time soon.

that woman is like 13

Do you mean that if I have an apple actor in the world, I can "pick it up" and store it in the array as an apple object?

I need images of the non pixel art kind. Not large. About 800 wide and 200(plus-minus 100)high.

How could you make that? It took me some time but now I finally understand the thought process of a real life drawing, however I have no idea how to create pixel people. There are shit ton of guides which help you to do the shading, helps you with lines and colors, but there's no guide on, I don't know, how to even start with the anatomy, for example. I'm just trying to mimic others' works, but I'm wondering where did they start.

>starting project
>ask around if anyone wants to team up and make art
>nobody responds
>man up and start doing everything myself
>halfway through the project
>posts like these appear

Fuck my life.

It's my shitty topology, isn't it?

best girl

lewd jam is a honeypot scheme to catch artists

Nah it's the weight painting. Fix it and it should be fine.

So I'm sending an email to a studio asking about a tour, how do I go about it? I don't want to say "I would love to take a tour of your studio", sounds just too weird.

I'm kinda in the same shoes. I don't want someone else to took over the visuals of my game at this point. However it would be nice if a more experienced user would push in the right direction.

However when an art guy puts up an "advertisement" like that, it doesn't necessarily mean that you'll get a team mate in the end.