Been working two jobs for 5 years now, night clerk at a Holiday Inn, and a dishwasher at an Olive garden...

Been working two jobs for 5 years now, night clerk at a Holiday Inn, and a dishwasher at an Olive garden. I have managed to save $15,000 US.

What would you do with $15,000 if you were just starting out again?

Truck Driver License

What would you do with the fifteen grand?

I'd stop working so much, minimize my expenses to make sure I don't go into debt and I'd take time to try stuff to learn something new maybe study something to get a better job to ultimately make sure to work less to get more in the future.

Life isn't meant to be slaved away. Just find something you love and keep doing it until you're good enough that people will want to hire you instead of the next guy.

I don't hate dishwashing, it's pretty mindless and simple. The hotel is the job I hate, the guests are really hostile. I'd like to take me fifteen thousand start my own business, but I can't even come up with bad ideas for one.

>only $15,000 starting
I'd go to college for something useful that's difficult to automate. I'd work throughout college to pay off the other $45,000.

Invest 80percent on index funds and gamble the rest on high risk shiet. Who knows it might pay off

Would you rather wait to be 70 to get rich or try your luck with high risk

do this

It wasn't a post telling me to kill myself, thank you user. I wouldn't do stock or investing, the reason "some" people get rich at that is because they know how to take advantage of suckers like me. I want to start my own business, so when I work hard it is for my own benefit. I don't mind if the business is simply selling on Amazon, I just want to start working hard at something.

I'm 31, too late for college. I got a pretty late start, was a drug addict for most of my 20's.

you don't need 15k to start a business.

use 1k to start a business, first get customers signed up for your service then buy the necessary tools/kit to serve them after you have the customers.

then invest 14k in a selection of promising cryptocurrencies starting with Ethereum.

Congrats man! Way to grind your way up. If only more faggots from /r9k/ could look up to you.

If I were you, id invest that money into online courses from coursera. Use those brand name college courses to beef up your resume for cheap and pivot your experience into a more comfy higher paying job.

>I'm 31, too late for college. I got a pretty late start, was a drug addict for most of my 20's.

It's never too late to follow your dreams.

>What would you do with $15,000 if you were just starting out again?

I would go to school again so I didn't have to work 2 shitty low pay jobs with only a faint hope of working my way up to a shitty slightly higher paying job.

You are in no place to be investing in anything except getting a higher paying job.

I wouldn't mind doing plumbing or being an electrician, but I am a little too old to start any sort of career. My main goal is to buy a house for myself and my mother to live in, so no matter what we at least have a roof over our heads. For that I need about 100 thousand, with how long it took me to save 15, there's no fucking way I can get to 100 without some major changes.

be quiet nerd

7.5 thousand for college course that leads to a job, or trade school.

7.5 thousand in Canadian marijuana stocks. CGC, ACB, MT, APH OGI, MJN. Sell before november task force announcement if feeling conservative, or wait through till legalization for some more cash.

That is what I would do right now, but my main point is to keep your money working for you either through school or investments.

Sorry forgot where I was.

Just hustle bro and buy some crypto, shits going to moon any day now.

Pls dont gamble it away on pipe dreams

It's just I have never met anyone in real life where school actually paid of off for them.

This Class A or B with airbrake endorsement does open a shit ton of job opportunities.

The best thing is to look for a Community College that offers the program or any type of grants or training for it. Thats how I got mine, CC offered it through a state funded grant. 7k worth of training+med card+license paid for(80) for free...

Another opportunity is to find a company that trains people and sends them to the DMV. Of course all state testing requirements are different, mine is one of the hardest. But I have friends that have went through the State DOT or Highway patrol, or just construction jobs. Get hired on, go do the test, then look for a new job fuckem.

But CDL WILL get you a job, its better to go on the road for a year, but if your ok with driving dump trucks for 18 an hour. Or you can find a local tractor trailer company and work for 15 an hour for just six months to a year and then get hired on ups, usps, or fedex for over 30 bucks a night line haul and home every day.

I went on indeed and monster and filled out 40 job apps this sat, and already have 15 voicemails and 20 calls today alone from companies. Once you get a day job, its easy to get a night one part time.

Man.. I wish I could help you out. 15k in 5 years is painfully slow. If you want to buy 100k house then get a loan maybe and pay the mortgage instead of rent... I dunno.

You could also easily triple the money on the markets in a year or two but I do not want to take responsibility for people losing their little savings so I wont advice anybody more on how to do that

>Mfw bought 1350 shares of APH at 2.97, been green every day.

Is there a 50% chance they will not legalize? what will the task force announce?

Yeah, it is too slow, rent sucks up almost all of my earnings. I'd rather be paying the money into a mortgage, but there's no way I could get a house for one hundred thousand in this area, I'm panning to move out to the countryside where they are cheaper. But no jobs there.

Buy a rv or trailer. Cut out rent. Live simply

All good, but look at the poly-technic schools, some have trades, instrumentation tech, air conditioning and heating (HVAC), pipefitting.

I pretty much did the same as you for years and then took a building operator course in night classes for 6 months. Kept submitting resumes and got a job at an arts center changing lights, and looking at the heating systems. Not the best job ever, but I'm making $23 an hour working 9-5 now. Course only cost me $3000. Just because you don't know people who got a job from their course, doesn't mean there arent thousands of being hired from these courses everyday.

One good idea that saved me a lot of hassle has been to do remote work if possible for you learn something like sales that you could do from the comfort of your home and stay with your family. I understand that's not possible for everybody though but just a thought. Stay strong OP

Is getting into trucking worth it? I kind of assumed with all these companies making self driving vehicles that I would be out of a job is 5-10 years.

How about something like landscaping, window washing, power washing, asphalt, etc? You could take a couple grand for materials and a truck, and start doing that on our days off or replace your 2nd job with that. Once you get enough customers, go full time.

I was a truck driver for 5 years. Based on the hours you put in if you are over the road; you will make around minimum wage per hr. 50-70 hours of work including driving and sitting around waiting to be loaded and scales to get a $650 to $800 pay check a week. Oh, and you live in the truck. That is not paid.

Then if you move to local work, you are home every night, but the pay will suck. Back to $400 to $500 a week.

after my trucking gig. I invested 25k on a vending machine route. Some old man was retiring and I got a pretty good deal on it. Today, I make around the same amount of money I was doing while trucking, and only 1/3 of the work.

Now, with your $15k you can start a vending business. And you can continue to work your regulars hours since you can service the machine on a single day, and only quit once you have expanded enough to survive on the machines alone.

That is very good advice

>power washing
This interests me, can get a very good one for a couple hundred. Then buy a couple huge ladders and offer to powerwash peoples entire homes for $500

Vending machines, that's also a great idea. Where did you find the older guy who sold you his route?

For two seconds there, it looked like he a really tiny stomach.

>he thinks self-driving vehicles will ever be a thing
A self-driving vehicle would require every other car on the road to be self-driving. Something that will NEVER happen.

Courtesy of the car communities.

Today I went to get my hair cut and my barber had hired this guy to do the windows. All he had was a squeegee, bucket, rags and water. Cleaned the windows of every shop in the little center and went on his way. Only took a couple minutes and probably spent $20 on materials that he'll use a hundred more times.

If you want to get some more expensive equipment, check out craigslist or garage/estate sales. When my grandpa died he had all this great shit, snowblower, lawn mower, etc that he bought and never used. Old guys are like "That's a great tool, I'll buy it!" then they forget they're too fucking old to do yard work. So their wife or kids have to sell it all. Or some weekend warrior with a beer belly buys a power washer, uses it once, it breaks and he doesn't know how to fix it so you can scoop it up for a steal.

There are many options if you're willing to work a little

I like the power washing business idea the best so far. vending machines is good, but I see too much risk there, old ones getting replaced by credit card ones, people robbing you, people stealing credit card numbers and you get sued.

Read lots of books on commodity spread trading. Although 15k isn't much in commodity trading but if you stick to seasonal spread trading in livestock & other low volitility areas it's an area that moderate decent money can be made. FYI, I trade with a 15k account although I have had some great mentors. Definitely nothing to rush into but certainly worth looking into if your looking at long term wealth strategies... Pic is my last live cattle spread trade/closed out today & will re-enter after next major pullback

This is an anecdote so take it as you want, but I'd tell you to find a business that someone wants to sell and flip it into a better business.

My grandpa did this with a coworker. They bought a tiny business for maintaining shopping carts. He eventually bought the other half of the business and also landed a contract with a grocery store to do all of their stores. On top of paying himself 30k for working in the business he made ( I think it was ) 60k in profits. Stupidly good money for a job you only have to work for maybe half a year at a time.

Another tip for that is if you have that much downtime between working go file for unemployment in the dip.

Believe it or not, I found him on Craigslist. I'd been looking for close to a year before I found the one though. Also, I live in the in proximity to Los Angeles and San Diego, so with that huge population; opportunities pop up every now and then.

Become a plumber and have a 24 hour business plan and charge triple for "after hour calls" you'll make a killing I know a few kids who are still in trade school and are making more than some college grads

>use 1k to start a business

Lel

"Okay I bought half of first month's rent and some toilet paper, now what?"

That's retarded. He's literally saying that losing your money to inflation is better than getting 5-8% average annual returns on an index fund. He's obviously clueless because he's confusing investing with trading.

>A self-driving vehicle would require every other car on the road to be self-driving.
Hate to be the one to break it to you but self driving cars are already on the road.