Where's a good place in the U.S,Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to get an oil change for a good price?

where's a good place in the U.S,Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to get an oil change for a good price?

is pepboys or any other chain stores reasonably priced? how much? i've got a 2004 hyundai elantra with 70,500 miles on it and last time i got the oil changed was at 65,000 and i think it needs an oil change.

also, how long does a oil change usually take ? will i be waiting there hours or should i get someone to drive me back and forth.

yes, i am newbie at owning a car.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SOw-nhMtK1M
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You waited too long between oil changes. Your car is probably toast. I bet you didn't even top of the blinker fluid

Ideally do it yourself, it is really hard to fuck something up

If you are that much of a weenie then just about anywhere will do it for the same price. Takes like 20min to do yourself but they may make you wait at a shop so it doesn't seem like you're getting shafted on the price since you're basically paying them to
>unscrew a bolt and flush old oil out
>remove/replace filter
>put new oil in
>put cap back on

Everybody here is going to tell you to do it yourself.
It's cheaper, faster, and you'll probably learn something.

I thought you were suppose to change it every 3-3,500 miles? Surely an extra 1,500 won't complete fuck it up I hope.

Okay, any steps on how to change it myself then? I live in a residential area and I don't think my neighbors would take kindly to me draining oil all over the public street.

Alright.

Step 1: Materials
You're gonna need a jug of oil, a pan to catch it when it drains, and a new oil filter. Also a jack/jackstands if you need to jack your car up.

Jack your car up if you need to.

Find your oilpan, and unscrew the drain bolt with the catch pan underneath it. wait for it to drain all the way. After it's done put the bolt back in.

Next, you need to find your old filter. You'll want the catch pan to be under this one too, or you can wrap a big ziploc bag around it so when you unscrew it the oil doesn't go everywhere.
Also, warning, if the car was just recently running, the oil/filter/etc could still be very hot. I recommend waiting a bit for it to cool down.

Once you get the old filter off, take a bit of oil, rub it around on the rubber gasket of the new filter, and then screw it on so it's hand-tight.

Go back into the engine bay, then fill 'er up
Once it's full, turn on the car, let it run for ~15 seconds, then turn it off again. This allows oil to fill up the new filter. Fill 'er up one last time and you're done.

or you could just google it ya dork

youtube.com/watch?v=SOw-nhMtK1M

Im gonna try this I guess. Do you need a new oil filter after draining the oil?

Thanks

google "2004 hyundai elantra" oil change

I checked Pepboys site and they have a special for an oil change 19.99 including:

Formula Shell or BP Visco Conventional Motor Oil Change Service Package - $19.99 (with coupon)
30 Minute Oil Change Guarantee with Scheduled Appointment
Offering quick and quality service, the Formula Shell or BP Visco Conventional Motor Oil Change Service Package is more than just an oil change
Up to 5 quarts of conventional motor oil and a new oil filter*
Courtesy Vehicle Inspection

I don't want a vehicle inspection though, I just got my yearly state inspection in march this year dont need to do that again. Seems like they just want to add on shit on top of what I want.

That courtesy check is 9 times/10 a way to jew you out of extra cash, especially at pep boys

If you're dead set on having someone do it for you, just ask someone at work who knows a bit about cars to teach you.

Or just git gud and do it yourself, faggot

the 4 or so quarts of oil are gonna cost about $16 ($4 each approx) so if it's only $19.99 i don't see the harm in payng an extra 4 bucks, unless they try and pull some shit like you need this this and that to try and up the price.

I'm gonna go outside and see if I can do it myself, I looked up a video of how to do it but they all had lifts, jacks, etc.

I don't have my own personal driveway so I'm not sure if Im even allowed to do an oil change on public parking roadways

But even if they say I need "this that and those" that doesn't mean I have to get them right?

Meh, fuck pepboys they are definitely trying to milk any money they can from me. Would I have better luck just going to a neighborhood car repair shop/gas station repair shop?

Brb, gonna see if I'm even able to get under the damn car with no assistance.

No, but they'll prey off your lack of car knowledge and next thing you know, they're stripping your lug nuts because they thought it'd be a good idea to use an impact wrench to tighten it on
And blame you for it

DO IT YOURSELF

I pay double to do it myself. The piece of mind that it was done right is worth it.

So they'll intentionally fuck with my car because I never had to get an oil change done by myself.
Sounds like grounds for lawsuit to me.

I ended up taking i to a locak gas station repair shop about 5 mins away. Cost $24+ tax for oil change, filter, and 4 quarts of 5-30 oil...they put it up on a lift and it was done within 15 or so minutes. I tried doing it myself but I dont have a lift or a jack so it was hard for me to even get under the car to do anything, not to mention my health problems that limit what I can physically do (no, not fat). So cars good for another 3k+ miles. They did leave a couple spots of oil on random places where it sholdnt be though, but I wiped it off. Oh well, all in all it was much easier.

how the fuck do you have a 2004 elantra with only 70,500 miles?
I just got rid of one that I was using as a shitbox DD that had 220k miles on it and a fucked head cover gasket so it shat oil all over the exhaust manifold every time you stopped too hard or went down a steep hill :)
Best car I ever owned.

How close are you to Philly?
Do you do like everyone does and say you live in Philly but actually live in Kennett or Media?

No, I live in Northeast Philly.

yeah, trying to do work without jackstands is impossible, and I don't recommend trying to use the temporary jack meant for changing flat tires, that's not safe so don't try it.

Grew up in Kensington till I was 15. Mid-twenties now.Westmoreland and Frankford.

Yeah, i def. couldn't fit under the car without some sort of reliable lift. The $24 was well worth it. Will save me the hassle of blowing a head gasket or engine in the future. Small price to pay for security.

Raise your car up on some plastic thingies put a pan under it pull the plug drain the shit replace the filter put oil in car.

It's already done, but "plastic thingies"? I live in the city and don't have random stuff laying around at my disposal to makeshift lifts.

>Once it's full, turn on the car, let it run for ~15 seconds, then turn it off again. This allows oil to fill up the new filter. Fill 'er up one last time and you're done.

Just don't do this bit. Check your car's manual for the correct volume and leave it at that. Checking the oil level should be done when the engine is thoroughly warmed up, so checking your fresh cold oil after just 15 seconds of running will skew your findings.

Damn, some home grown Philly,

Love riding my bike through center city at 3 in the morning

Do it yourself.

Yeah, I was at the world series game 5 when the Phillies won in 2008, one of my best memories. I also used to skateboard when I was a teenager and would go to Penns landing and Love park to skate and explore around. And of course, FDR skatepark under I-95 (place Bam Margera did a lot of videos at). Place is really fun to skate, it's like a mile or two from the stadiums. Used to go to the Vet all the time before they demolished it. Me and my dad saw them blow it up and we put some dirt/rocks from the stadium into a jar to remember the good times there, still have it actually. Used to go with my dad to the original ECW wrestling matches in South Philly in the late 90's. And of course there's South Street.

engine should be warm ideally, oil will flow better leaving less old shitty oil in there.

Your first time you might burn urself or drop the bolt in the pan though. Gotta get gud at moving your hand away fast.

get a proper 2 ton jack and put some big cement blocks under the front in sturdy places that can hold weight.

Or you could drive it up on blocks and then chock the back wheels.

Plastic ramps. You can go buy them at Walmart or a parts place. It'll add cost to the first oil change but then they'll pay for themselves.

theres a 2001 elantra at my job (parking garage) with 25k on it but its beat up owned by old ladies they dont drive these cara are used in korea as a taxi tho pretty reliable my sister had a fully loaded gt sedan and i liked it

My grandmother bought it new in 2004. She literally just drove it shopping and to church. I got it 3 years ago with 45,000 miles on it, engine looks brand new, no problems. She bought a new 2015 Toyota and my dodge neon had just blew a head gasket and she decided to give me her elantra. I got lucky basically.

Yeah the '04 Elantra I have was a Korean make. It has the Korea stickers on the side windows and everything.

The STS on Aramingo Ave.