/rlg/ - Roguelike General

FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Webterminal
Rogue Nexus – Cataclysm online with shared map and tons of other roguelikes in a simple online package! (USA Only)
roguenex.us

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/SgMJ7Xwh

You die...

1st for chei

Can someone tell me the secrets of getting a character going in ToME? I always get fucked over by random mobs that are faster and several times more diesel than me. Maybe recommend a particularly spicy build? Yes I cheated and unlocked all the races/classes, because fuck not having options. I enjoyed the ghoul corruptor experience but then I met a nasty looking elven knight with 500 hp and Phase Door'd right in front of him when I tried to evoke Feet.

Skeleton Brawler

Skeltal is best race

>Uskawaw

>cheating in roguelike
>2016

Strong (read : broken) class in Tome :
Archmage
Temporal Warden
Archer

Anything with ranged attack

God fucking damn it I keep forgetting about elbereth and keep splatting on big room

I am such a fucking shitter please someone shoot me.

I'm feeling lucky tonight.
Took like 2 steps.

Awoo!

Lettsu do ziss!
I know this is a retarded question, but are brawlers allowed to use weapons?

No. Cursed are even more diesel, and they can use Mindstars, which are so diesel that there's a class whose only job is using Mindstars.

Did Josephine's ghostly fireball always cause draining?

delete this

>not wanting to play with all the classes right off the bat
??
how is that cheating

Don't ever reply to me or my son again if you're not going to contribute to the thread.

user. The posters who claim anything is ruined by forgoing ToME4's shitty unlock system are not people. Don't give them replies.

Can I make jelly donuts in Cataclysm DDA?

Fuck you 4KidsTV

Will Str+8 offset the Slay-3?

>12x .40 JHP's into a foose
>It's still running into me a full speed

I don't care if it's undead because its brain is literally pulp now from the hydrostatic shock.

>Bored and create centaur hunter
>not taking it serious, just shooting and tabbing without paying attention
>realize i have 9 scrolls of ID
>ID all my potions
>3 fucking scrolls of exp
What is the optimal way to spend these?

D:4 troll is probably among the nastiest OoD spawns I can imagine

Wow that's pretty fucked. Hopefully temple isn't on D:4
I'm thinking of dumping all of the exp into invocations and going Sif muna. is that a good plan?

Is your bow at mindelay? If yes, probably Dodging

Dont think so

Bows to 20.
Dodging, Fighting, and Armour.

Nah, I'm only on D:4 or so.

alright, it is done. Now I have to take this character seriously

Is there some way to view my wounds or a combat log to tell if I was bit?

As long as you're not infected it shouldn't matter. DDA, right?

Doesn't biting transmit the infection? I'm not sure if it just hit me or if it bit me. Yes, it's DDA.

It can, but not always. I'm not gonna spoil it too much for you, but Cataclysm DDA zombies aren't traditional ones. A bite can get infected, but not the kind of infection that turns you into a zombie, it's just a normal wound infection. Check your character screen and it'll tell you if you've been infected

OoD spawns are ALWAYS turncount related
Stop wasting time

Is it worth it to get statue form on a VpMo?

Well, where do I go now with this amazing character? Choices are: Swamp, Snake and Elf. I'm honestly thinking about diving Elf while giggling like an idiot.

It should be about even according to learndb.

>stop healing lmao
>stop looking for loot when you're naked lmao
Also I don't feel like this is true anyway, at least not exclusively. [citation needed] etc.

You don't have to explore everything and heal to full every monster unless you are playing something really bad or a spellcaster.

>wasting time
user
This is literally the stupidest thing you could have said about that screenshot
It's less than 500 turns at fucking D:4

Enjoy being basilisk'd at 10% HP and killed right there. Also enjoy being naked at D:13.

This also means you give BadAdvice™ by the way

Your mom is probably fat too

This is my character, I'm fine so far, thanks, and that's with a really bad luck for drops. You really don't need to explore everything. I've had recently one character played the same way, who at this point had all the resistances needed for extended except rCorr for Slime.

>I once had one in a billion chance therefore every run is like that

I don't know man, Elona is such a long game that inferno doesn't make it seem worth. Especially with how time consuming the grinding is.

>Cataclysm DDA zombies aren't traditional ones
Y-yeah, for sure.
>parks are filled with children
>town has god strong zeds
>only way to really fight is one zed at a time
I don't even know how people do it, but I just skirt the towns now since I can't even outrun them.

>but not the kind of infection that turns you into a zombie
u mother fukken WOT m9

>3 fucking scrolls of exp
>scroll of exp
>scroll
>of exp
>ID all my potions
>ID scroll
>of exp
>scroll of acquire experience
I'm fucking sorry?

Look here, I'll give you an example for ogres.
Maces and flails are very common, so you're guaranteed to find one to use early on. For your *endgame* weapon you need to kill an ogre or a hill giant, unless you're playing to use a shield. For an armor, you have to kill a troll or two, then switch (or not) to whatever dragon armor in Vaults or Depths. Rings are found in shops, so visit Orc:2, also even with limited exploration you'll find some - in that screen I found five, except three were bad (negative mods etc.) and one is situational (fire). Often you'll find more and you'll have a better luck than me with shops.

If you're playing other species, it's hard to not find a normal plate or at least chain mail, not to mention a ring mail for hybrid chars. Wights often have decent weapons on them, as do orc warriors or knights if you can fight those.

What full exploration gives you is much more consumables but if you play smart, you usually won't use even a half of them. How often did you finish the game with 30 remove curse, 25 curing, 10 fear and so on?

Also try to watch speedrunners some time, it will teach you how little you sometimes need to have to do certain loot stashes like Elf or rune branches.

>I've never played the game but I'm an expert on the topic
huh... really made me think...

>dem gauntlets
ORA
SOON

>Also try to watch speedrunners some time, it will teach you how little you sometimes need to have to do certain loot stashes like Elf or rune branches.
But 4tharra only gets that far like every 2days

How exactly is chei bad when he completely elimates "being out of position" by either beating the shit out of everything effortlessly or using his insane escape?

Because if you get unlucky, miscalculate or hit the wrong key, you splat. Chei is pretty strong, and I'd say he's relatively stronger than other gods, but he does have his downsides.

mid-late game, most enemies have ranged attacks

ab
Or just walk towards them with your above 30EV and RMsl

>he completely elimates "being out of position"
He doesn't. That's by design the whole point
>by either beating the shit out of everything effortlessly
You can mostly already do this without Chei. Things that are still a threat with Chei are mostly the ones you could walk away from if you hadn't picked the god of not-walking-away-ever
>using his insane escape
Which costs an absolute crapton of piety

if you ab for every enemy, you'll run out of piety

For fucks sake, will does Oka actually give weapon/armor gifts? If he gives me fucking arrows one more time I'm gonna freak

10 piety is fucking nothing especially with cheis piety gain
Look at Self banish or sanctuary for high pietry abilities

So is Nemelex still overpowered?

It is an absolute crapton when compared to the free ability of pressing a direction key until you reach the stairs

Cheis strongest ability is his slow

>pick otaku with stylish trait
Apparently my cat cosplay stuff levitates around, since it covers no body parts and thus doesn't give stylish morale.

What game?

They just don't make ruks like they used to

DDA

>lair entrance is on a gigantic eel pond
I'd have settled for a D:11 Lair to be honest

>Go HEHu of Stando God
>pick warrior and name it Gimli for wacky bros adventures
>get Bows to 20
>pop !adq and ask for a weapon, hoping for a nice longbow
>+1 shortbow of flaming
>fuggggggg
>get another !adq
>try my luck again with weapon because I really want a longbow
>+4 Triple Sword of Holy Wrath

Guess I'm contractually obligated to do extended now.

Yes they are dogs or maybe cats. No human would agree with abiding by the unlock system

Does ranged combat work well with stands?

The fucking midget keeps blocking my line of shots every now and then, but otherwise it keeps packs at bay for me to pelt them from far away.
It's pretty alright.

the dicks man beat inferno mode as a horse in like 10 hours or something

Actually, once I get PProjectile, I'll be able to bypass that shit, so it's even better than I thought.

>surviving as an otaku
Not gonna make it

>watch speedrunners some time
Literally don't do this if you want to get good at winning crawl. And you're still asking /rlg/ for help with your games and yet you're trying to give advice to others. Come on man

It's actually not a bad start theoretically. If there was some sort of OUT_OF_SHAPE tag for characters, then it would be worlds of difference worse compared to different starts.

There's a 25% lower stamina trait. I'm not sure how much difference it makes, though.

Also a move speed penalty one.

That exists, but I don't think Otaku is forced to use those traits like how Churl is forced to take illiterate for example.

Is there a certain range of view for mobs in DDA to see you and follow you? I can't seem to understand it, but it seems like they sometimes do and sometimes don't.

For what definition of beat and using which exploits?

I played with fire shadow pedestal and got burned it summoned a unique I couldn't quite punch through.
Rest in piss.

Weather, sound, and scent affect the chances of pursuit.

If you take a step over a shrub as you get close for example you will make more noise than usual.

I'm not entirely sure how scent works, but it seems like certain monsters follow tiles where you were rather than chasing you as if they can see you. This is definitely the case for certain giant ants.

He beat the final storyline boss of the first continent.I actually don't know how long it took him but people say he didn't grind at all. I don't know what exploits if any he used

Yeah PP is pretty much obligatory for ranged, but one of the biggest strengths of stands is the ability to put the enemy's back row right next to you. It doesn't seem like there's any way for you to benefit from that.

Why do we keep playing crawl instead of tome4 again?

Now that I have a +4 Triple Sword of Holy Wrath, it might be useful later.
Also, remember that ability can help you to get them near you or far out from you.

You can tell if something in the distance has spotted you because the compass direction will go from white to red.

Ants are nearly blind, I think, so they track by smell by default.

Nobody's holding you to play whatever you want, user.

Hep is way much better than Qazloud.

That's some insightful information. It's better than nothing, so thanks for that.

Zeom is pretty quick to beat, I bet someone could do him within 2 hours if they know what they're doing and pull all the tricks.
Elona has virtually 0 grind if you use at least a few exploits (by that I mean mechanics that are completely imba, such as the many ridiculously overpowered pets + charisma, bandit hunting, fountain spamming and adventurer stalking/tricking), but if you don't, there's no choice but to grind, and the grind is very long and tedious.

Yes, if you have Portal Projectile. No otherwise.

>When you get the thing

Pity Elona's a dead game. I had a lot of fun with it, grindy or not.

Is pokemon sun and moon a roguelike?

Because Crawl has fun press-X-to-fuck-shit-up buttons and solid necromancy while ToME abilities are diablo-y and don't feel as satisfying to use.
Also ToME is ugly and doesn't have any memes.

Yeah, it has a shitload of content to play with (and abuse) and characters can be grown for a long time. I also really like the online features, such as they are. Too bad nobody will ever release the source for someone to develop a successor.

If you do a nuzlocke run sure

No, but pokemon mystery dungeon series are (shitty) roguelikes (assuming you delete your game on failure).

I think branch shortening, which was balanced by crowding the levels (instead of increasing the XP, which is what they should have done), nerfed Qazloud to the point that he's no longer powerful.

Just winning Crawl gets too boring after winning every race and background, so I'm trying to have fun. I'd rather have that than grind the win percentage.

is resident evil outbreak: file 2 a roguelike?