Ok Veeky Forums. It all has sunk in now after wrecking my car. Finally got to look at everything today...

Ok Veeky Forums. It all has sunk in now after wrecking my car. Finally got to look at everything today. However I can't figure out what exactly is broken.

The rear drivers wheel on my mk4 Jetta is bent inwards. Upon close inspection, I don't think the control arm caused this since it seems perfectly fine. Looks like I broke and separated the brake rotor. Pic related.

The passengers front wheel isn't aligned properly. It points in a different direction than the other side. Did I bend a tie rod? Posting that pic next.

Can anyone help?

Pic of misaligned front wheel

This is what my rear drivers wheel is doing

why dont you post a picture of the whole car and someone might be able to tell you if fixing it is likely going to be impossible, ie, frame damage

Highly doubt I did frame damage

Side of impact.

Honestly you should just thank the good lord that you were delivered from being a VAG owner, scrap it, and buy a car that isn't made of Lego bricks

Also should mention that i jumped a curb.

That doesnt look too bad, something is bent or broken... maybe not by much. I doubt anyone will be able to tell you what it is from these pictures, unless you lifted your car and got good pictures of the suspension... like pic related

Let me guess, somebody had a little too much to drink?

And I'm going to assume that windshield was like that before the crash?

It's been sitting for six days.

Yeah figured this. Would try to jack it , but it's parked on an incline. I'm trying to diagnose it before sending it to the shop. Want to prepare my wallet.

Which would put your crash right smack friday night? Little booze cruise with an agricultural excursion? It happens buddy.

Also should I even touch it? I'm waiting for local police department to nab the person that hit me and ran. I just need my ride back because I started a new job that's way too far out.

Someone hit you and then you drove over a curb? With that little damage?

Unless you got their plate and they are too stupid to just deny it you are boned unless you have witnesses.

Yeah. It was like a pit manuvver. Person clipped my right front side, which sent me Iver a curb and into a yard. There are no witnesses because it was very early in the morning, but I found out that the house I crashed into has video surveillance.

Marker light is pristine, bumper too, you were bumped by a drunken ghost

>Person clipped my right front side
>It was like a pit manuvver
Dude, even if what you are saying is true and someone hit you and you swerved and wrecked, there is no way in hell a security camera caught the persons license plate. The cops probably never even followed up. I'm sorry bro, but ur boned. Take you car to a shop. You would not believe how much damage there can be to suspension components while looking fine. My car didn't even looked fucked up like yours and there was thousands of dollars. Judging by the cars state, its possibly totalled. I assume you only have liability?

>I assume you only have liability?

Yeah man. So Please say it ain't so and that its totaled. I'm also doubting that my case will get far,but I feel like the car can be rescued.

Passenger side door, is it worky worky or is it clippy?

It works 100%

Looks like op popped a hektok skid and smacked a curb

Windscreen was fucked already? Exhaust? Floor pan? Pedals?

Maybe man, but literally anything could be fucked. I had one wheel hop a curb and I wound up replacing a rim, control arm, strut, tie rods, and a couple other loose ends and the car looked fine from the outside. Obviously when it drove you could tell something was up tho, but it was still driveable. You may be able to get it to work okay and never get an alignment in for cheap but fixing everything might be more than the car.

Hate to say man but this is tow it to a shop and pay for their diagnosis stage.

I think the windscreen is just power lines reflection

I thought that the big one under the faggot inside sticker wasn't a reflection, anyway just from the pictures opie you're in for 2.5k boombaroonies and that's assuming that the chassis is straight,exhaust is good to go and you go to a mexican shop

All of these check out. Only damaged the oil pan, and what I posted. Windscreen isn't broken

Nah different spot by the gay sticker in both photos, but yeah ur boned OP

Will do. Thanks.

This man has a point.

Suspension components can be off by a few degrees and your eyes will not discriminate the difference. You probably are looking at replacing the hub, new caliper and brackets, new end links, and maybe a new lower arm. Also, more pictures would help, but they really can only say so much.

You should start with the obvious brake issue, but an alignment will be a cheap and easier way to determine the extent of some of the damage that you can't discern from just looking at it.

>replace all suspension on the affected side
>replace rotor and maybe the brackets/caliper too
>replace the oil pan
>learn from your mistakes and stop hooning in the rain and git gud.

Someone I know understeered into a curb with his Audi A4, shoved the axle through the transmission. You might have gotten more lucky there.

Jack up the car, try to shake the wheel and see if it moves around alot. if it does you likely broke the hub, bearing and rotor.
remove the wheel and inspect further

>Person clipped my right front side
post pic of scrape please

Damage enough to break the rotor means the rims on that side are bad so those are scrapped. Assume structure holding rear caliper is bent but caliper may be okay (not that there is a savings there). I can't say more without lifting the car. If it were my car (chevy), I'd add sway bar bent (replace), tie rod, new fittings,1 strut. Don't know about bearing, but hard to imagine a stout rotor breaks like that without bearing problem. Check the floor of your trunk for evenness and if bent, that should mean frame alignment needed from the curb jump slam force transmitted into frame. Fluid leak means transaxle bearing broken or oilpan leak so you check both..

Arms are probably bent on both rear and front.so that is $400 each replacement. Three rims. Two fender bodywork. Paint job with overspray match on right side and left fenders. Inspection cost. Alignment cost. You had no driver&passenger airbags go off so that is a $1300 savings. If airbags go off in a older used car, that alone totals the car in my state since it's illegal to drive without airbag replacement. Frame alignment inspection cost.

It doesn't take much to total an older used car. Mine looked great on top but for left front strut, left front suspension, rod, and alloy rim cracked. But it set off the airbags and when one goes, ALL of them go which was $3600 replacement for only the airbags. To force drivers to replace bags, the computer box breaks itself thus making the electronic dash useless (except for mandatory odometer display) thus any shop would easily tell you the car is illegal to drive (hey, your displays are messed up and warning lights are all glowing). I gave the car away to tow company as scrap but they prolly fixed it and sold it since engine and all else great. *sigh*

>they prolly fixed it
Why would they invest $3600 in air bags? They probably parted it out of their yard which is what you should have done.

If everything else was an easy fix they probably just pulled the airbags out of another vehicle that got rear ended and totalled. They get the vehicles for next to nothing.

>Why would they invest $3600 in air bags?
Back then, there must have been some sort of paranoia that people would continue to drive without airbags (after they had fired). So the computer is disabled to make the problem obvious and force the issue. That model didn't have airbag choices like modern cars do in order to save money (only driver fires, front passenger doesn't fire, etc) so that car fires all bags and breaks the windshield due to the dash having a door that slams upwards into the window when the big bag there comes out. The bag controller is part of the computer so that means the whole board is replaced along with the labor and testing. That's $3600 for windshield, steering wheel, dash, side pillars, seat coverings since bags come out of them. Mind you, the initial unofficial $3600 estimate was the "good low" price.

It had been towed to my driveway. The HOA required immediate action (since no junkers, undriveables, ugly cars, advertising, working on cars, etc). I cannot part it from my yard so that means selling it to junkyard (after paying tow fee again) or simply giving it to tow company "as is". Junkyards pay very little here and the local high school didn't want a free "fix it" car that didn't have airbags (again due to cost) and yes I checked with my local HS. So I gave it to the tow company for the cost of tow because I have 3 days before the HOA sits on my face and poops out a lawyer letter saying 3 days have passed and it must be removed in one week or it will be towed and all charges applied as lien on your house (liens affect credit rating too) so no thanx to that. When the time you have is limited, you have to pick the best solution available before the time runs out. If I had infinite time, perhaps the decision would be different. There were NO deals to be had fixing the ravaged interior due to bags coming out of trim, dash, steering wheel, and seats front and back. I fear airbags & buy insurance 2 cover hit and run.

>my driveway
You don't have a garage?

how much would that thing be worth?
you could get something much better on craigslist for the price probably

>buying a house in a neighborhood with a HOA
>any fucking year ever

Congrats on voluntarily cucking yourself

not him, but a lot of times it's the only alternative to living in a really shitty area

>can't part a car from your front yard
How much shittier can it get?

Constant theft, vandalism, break-ins while you're gone to work, people selling drugs all hours of the day and night from the house next door, cops showing up all the time and arresting people for domestic violence.... It can get pretty bad.

>Blacked out badge and wheels
You deserved it faggot

>plebwagen
Nothing of value was lost.

>You don't have a garage?

You make many assumptions with that comment when inspecting and repairing a car with suspension damage. On the surface, your comment to "Put it in your garage and work on it in spare time" sounds good, but the devil is in the details. With the rim busted, the car has to be on wheel dolly (don't have one) just to push it into the garage in the first place!

No, I don't have a garage with a full body lift. Nor do I have TOOLS or personal SKILLS to analyze and replace suspensions. I also don't have the knowledge to replace and rewire the computer and airbags. I don't have the skill to re-upholster the car seats. I can't mount a tire on a rim so there is that cost of buying another alloy rim too.
Picture: official early concept CGI screenplay art from the upcoming June 2016 movie "Independence Day: Resurgence" which is the sequel to the blockbuster hit Independence Day.

“Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. “Mankind.” That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can’t be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests to eliminate airbags. Perhaps it’s fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom… Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution… but from cars forced to have expensive airbags. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We’re going to live on! We’re going to survive! Today we celebrate our costly airbag Independence Day!”

Say no to costly airbags.

I want to fuck Akari

Just unplug your airbags

Too scared to unplug those yellow orange wires for the seats or pillars.

I have Onstar so the car computer phones home to GM that I unplugged the airbags. Since the GPS location is also broadcasted as I drive around town, that would be proof that I was driving illegally. There's no privacy in these modern rolling computers. I even got email congratulating me that my safe driving methods qualify me for additional safe driver discounts from a bunch of insurance companies such as Liberty, State Farm, etcetera. I can also get more discounts from Progressive. I am currently with Pemco but I bet they can subpoena my driving history data from Onstar if I ever make a claim.

The super nosy data would include if I change lanes without signaling (the car does know that), if I weave in lanes (the car can see lane markings and warn me if I am driving on the line), and keep track of panic braking. And yes, the car knows if I tailgate or not since adaptive cruise control lets the cruise control automatically adjust speeds for cars far in front of me. The car can also automatically do emergency braking to mitigate car collisions. And no, I don't want to experiment to see if the car will brake hard if I approach an object without manually braking.

It also has the advanced version of "Teen Mode" that I can set to monitor the car's usage if I loan it out to teenagers in the family. In Teen Mode it will monitor speeding status on major known roads too.

Wow, cucked by your own car.

Sell it and get something from the early 1990s or older. Max of 1 airbag (steering wheel), no tattle tale computers.

Lived in those places.
Such better of with a few rules.
Rather not work on car in the sun than fear my neighbors

Take your car to a frame repair shop. They charge around $60 to tell you what's fucked. Maybe more if its more than one end.

They will also tell you exactly what's bent, and what needs to be replaced so you dont second guess shit.

wow holy fuck

I own a 1989, two 1991s, and a 1999 (really pushing it) and 90% of these features are completely out of the question

Are you retarded? Remove the wheel, slap on a spare or junkyard rim and away you go fagtron.

OP, good luck replacing that near impossible to reach bolt on your oil pan. Right by the tranny. I needed a 10mm swivel and Odin's semen to get it back in.

OP here

Looks like things are looking up. Police miraculously got a plate for the van from the video, and I only need a hub assembly, rear rotor, and tie rods for the front wheel that's off track according to the mechanic.

What happens if the person that hit me was uninsured? Do I just sue them?

If they are uninsured, it probably means they are poor and won't be able to pay you shit even if they do get sued.

This is why on your insurance, there is something called Uninsured/Under-insured protection. Hope you didn't skimp too much.

this.

I live in an area with a lot of illegal immigrants and other unlicensed, uninsured drivers. It is retarded to not have un/under insured coverage in some areas.