Car has check engine light on and won't pass emissions test, DTC code that came up is P1404...

Car has check engine light on and won't pass emissions test, DTC code that came up is P1404. Also said the O2 sensor is going out. I only need one of these fixed for the car to pass. Which is the cheapest option to get the car to pass emissions? The car is pic related a 97 saturn coupe.

Replace the sensor that us fucked up? The engine code should have told you which sensor it was; the upstream or downstream

The P1404 means his EGR isn't working. Not a huge deal BTW.
fix both. shouldn't be too expensive

it said P1404, which is the EGR valve. Fixing that is way cheaper than fixing the O2 sensor.

Take your EGR off and clean it, if's that weird looking canister with a connector on top to the right of the engine as your looking at it towards the back, it's right next to the hose for your engine breather actually.

replace the gasket put some cleaner in there(not a lot) and free the pintle so it can move in and out. Don't overtighten the bolts hand tight let the gasket do its job.

My mistake, wouldn't hurt to replace the o2 sensor as well if it's going bad
>tfw you had to replace both these things
>then the catalytic converter
>then the evap canister/valve
Driving with no plates/insurance since they don't let me get a new title until my car passes smog.

Just reset my ECU so I gotta drive around and see if the light comes back

Just fix both, the code is for your EGR valve. You can take it off and clean it, but that didn't work for me so I just replaced it

I stole mine from the junkyard, that is also an option OP

The thing is I can't afford to fix both, I can barely afford to fix one. In a really tight financial situation right now.

Replace the EGR valve

>I can barely afford to fix one

are you joking? An o2 sensor is like $25 new and is easy to replace since it's staring you in the face as you open your hood and while the EGR is kind of expensive at about $60 new from amazon you do have the option to go to a junk yard and pull one off there as well.

Clean the valve and buy a new gasket if that doesn't work replace valve

My o2 sensor was $185 amd that's for a 2002 civic

I had this car and this issue, just clean the EGR, if that doesn't work then replace it. It should pass fine after that

You got the same error code? All you did was replace it? I guess I'm just afria.d I have very little money and getting it to pass it going to cost me everythign I have, so I only have one chance to get it to pass or else I'm royally fucked.

Yeah, but I'm not sure if I had O2 sensor problems, this was a couple years ago

Well the emissions people said I needed one code to pass in order for the test to pass. If I fix the ERG then I assume j should be good to go. I've never replaced anything in a car, is it a relatively simple fix?

Get the repair manual (online .pdf) for your car and see for yourself

If you replace it, it's literally just unplugging it, unbolting it, putting the gasket in place, bolting the new one on, and plugging it back in. Same with cleaning it. If you really need help, there's videos on YouTube for it

If it has anything to do with the pin thing being stuck is that simple as well? Do I just spray aerosol?

It's spring loaded and can easily be poked with a small screwdriver, just watch a video or look it up, it's very easy

Just watched a video and seems very easy, I will definitely try it. No about the check engine light and code, after replacing the part how do I turn that off for the test? It won't pass with that light on.

go to autozone and have them reset the computer, then drive like 2 weeks. If no lights come back on, go back for an emissions test.

Even if there's no light, you can fail if the ECU hasn't gotten enough time to perform it's own checks. It usually takes 2 weeks of normal driving for the computer to complete these checks.

Thank you for all of your help, I really appreciate t

If you only want you fix one, fix the O2 sensor. Your car will start stalling at red lights if it gets worse. It's no biggie but it is super annoying