Maybe disposible, europoor-recyclable cars ARE the way to go. Think about it

Maybe disposible, europoor-recyclable cars ARE the way to go. Think about it.

>most people don't service their cars
>even an extremely well serviced, good quality car that is 15-25 years old will have myriad expensive issues
>old cars tend to be unsafe and bad for the environment

So for your average shitbox, why push up the new car price by over-engineering components that will end up being junked in 10-15 years time regardless? It's better to have the whole car work fine for its expected life, and then just implode around the time that most people would replace their car anyway.

Not everyone can afford a brand new car, and while this may not be a big problem in yurop (public transport, bicycles etc), it is in the US as you pretty much need a car if you want to do just about anything.

just as additional food for thought, here are some components off the top of my head, which will need replacing/rebuilding around the 10 year/200km mark on existing, non-disposable cars.
>oxygen sensors (God help you if you have 4x wideband sensors from factory)
>diesel injector pumps
>DCT, AMT, or some conventional automatic transmissions
>at least some or most of the following: suspension bushes, strut top rubbers engine mounts, rubber driveshaft mounts, CV boots, door and trunk seals, exhaust hangers, etc
>timing belt/chain and water pump
>valve clearances
>rear bank spark plugs on transverse V6s
>most ignition systems need attention around this time
>most turbos will be due for a rebuild sometime soon

Not all of this will apply to every car, but most of it applies to most cars. And I'm assuming we're talking about something mainstream like a toyota or a ford etc. Now, for a dispassionate shitbox, I don't think it's worth doing almost any of those jobs to keep a POS 10-15 year old corolla on the road. So why not make the rest of the car a bit cheaper so it all fails around the same time?

What kind of shit cars do you drive? It's not necessary to replace all those things.

There should be common industry standards for automobiles so one part fits every car.

>americans always go on about needing cars
>their used market is amongst the most expensive in the world
Mugs

Oh and
>they get shit tier American cars and none of the cool Asian or European cars
Seriously, God damn, your cars are fucking horrendous.

Because we really want your 1.3l shitbox hatchbacks. Pretend all you want you drive cool cars but we're the ones who can easily afford V8s and actual sports cars.

>have 18 year old tacoma with 217k miles
>DD'd it for 8 years/100k miles
>have replaced spark plugs, oil, and front brake pads

oh wow so much replaced parts, better crush it into a tin can. my tip is to buy a fucking toyota for your appliance car and not worry about replacing parts.

>bad for the environment
worse than the manufacturing of a new car?

Uhh no lol

You sure about that? I can find road worthy sub $500 cars all day in Canada, you can get $50 cars at auction that need a little work. Sure you might have cheap used cars in Europe but good luck getting one of those past your Nazi inspections. They're cheap because they're pretty much useless.

>we're the ones who can easily afford V8s and actual sports cars

lol, nobody on Veeky Forums can afford a real sportscar. Europoors drive shitty 1.2 liter ecoboxes and burgerclaps drive shitty chevys and camrys

But the most popular car models in the US are just as disposable as European econoboxes, they're merely a little larger and have a trunk instead of a hatch.

OP here,
>yeah but I have an XYZ shitbox that still runs and it was only $1000!!!

How can I say this succinctly... 'Personal transport for joe blow commuting 10 miles to work' is just about the lowest possible performance requirement you can put on a vehicle. A honda cub could do the same job. If you set the average age and condition of the national fleet to those requirements, you end up looking like cuba or like lebanon or something.

Cars inevitably degrade over time, whether or not you drive them. As a society we have thoroughly proven that less than 5% of the population gives a fuck about servicing cars to keep them on the road properly. So what is the point of making everybody poorer and less safe so we can cater to a small portion of autists that want to pour thousands into high mileage cavaliers and tauruses?

I will further add that try as you might, you can never service an older, 'meant-to-be-serviced' car up to more than say 70% of its new condition without spending multiples of its original purchase price to do so. To perfectly prove my point, jump on your local classifieds and look at say, older mercs or volvo 240s. These are cars that are meant to go for a million miles if you service them.
>most will be unserviced and trashed
>there may be one or two one owner, full service history cars - they will still need work costing more $than the car is worth
>then google some autist build thread about a concours restoration of these cars and see how much money, time, and effort it takes

Just buy a fiesta every 10-15 years and move on with your life

>dissing the Volvo 240
How dare you!
easy as fuck to work on yourself.

I think electronics are the problem

I've driven my 1970 C10 for 10 years doing nothing but brakes, radiator and normal maintenance (oil changes, belts, fluids, alignment).

It had a 4.8l swap and 5 speed manual swap 15 years ago and runs super strong.

Vehicles can last a lifetime if you take care of them and restore them.

....yeeeaaaaah I didn't think Veeky Forums would like this thread.

I'll stick to m3 vs mustang and aus/dbt tripjerks in future

>>most people don't service their cars
Not in America, because IT'S A DISPOSABLE APPLIANCE BUY MORE CARS BURN MORE FUEL BUY MORE CARS BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY.

In Europe, people take care of their cars, and they're built to last. 10-15 years is the general lifespan of ANYTHING metal in this climate, especially with grit in winters. After 15 years, you start to run into the phrase 'not economical to repair'.
You have to choose between fixing your car for more than it's value, or scrapping it.

There are plenty of old, cheap cars in Europe, but not many beyond 15 years. After that, a busted clutch or head gasket is terminal and it's off to the scrapheap to keep others alive.

If anything, American cars are disposable, given the way they rot even in dry climates, crash, roll over, or get destroyed by bad driving. They're not designed to be serviced, because nobody bothers to anyway.

ffs this and

>all the used cars are in shit condition
>if not, price immediately doubled

Hey, I was thinking on getting a 2001 Volkswagen Jetta since they are cheap in my country.

Are they any good? Im kinda scared since they are so cheap.

Coming from someone who is forced to buy an underpowered shitbox until he's in his late 20s