How much should I spend on my first car? And what car do you recommend...

How much should I spend on my first car? And what car do you recommend? I'm a senior in high school going to college soon, my mom is trying to say no car more than $1000

Other urls found in this thread:

newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/5570465531.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bump

I'd try to aim anywhere from 1500 to 2000. Don't discredit anything cheaper though. You can get great vehicles that just need a little work for cheap.

Always check the frame, transmission and gaskets though.

I'm trying to tell her that but she refuses to go higher than $1000

If a grand is your maximum, try to get a Geo/Chevy Metro. They are a very cost-effective shitbox and their parts are cheap.

Even those are over 1K and are far away from me, I live in NY

Are you looking on Craigslist? I find it hard to believe there are no Metros in NY.

Have her pick the car for you and then when it inevitably breaks, blame her for choosing a shitbox and a small budget.

I was looking on cargurus and I could do that but then she probably wouldn't get me one at all

Id purposely sabotage it in a couple days to drive the point home.

It might be the only way. The only car with a slight possibility of not completely being fucked for under $1000 is probably an old Toyota Camry, which will probably still be pretty fucked.

I've always had the best luck buying shoeboxes from Craigslist over looking anywhere else. If I were you I would just set the search filter to under 1000 dollars and manual trans since any automatic in a car that cheap is probably about to shit the bed. Then just search brands, starting with brands that you like and ending with ones you don't even want to consider.

Is this any good? newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/5570465531.html

rather than pulling the trigger now, can you not save up some money of your own, and then add that to the 1k she's willing to put forward?

I don't have a job except one I might be getting at my moms store in like 2 weeks

That's out of your league for one thing. Also, never buy foreign cars if you're a poorfag. Parts are outrageous on the aftermarket. If you're going to endure a shitbox, you'd be better off with a dumpy GM that you can find and afford parts for.

well, if you don't absolutely need a car right away, i'd say just hold out for a bit

/thread

Hold out for something that's at least a couple grand and you'll be glad you did.

I'd try to convince her before sabotagging the shitty car she gets you.

so you trash the shitty car and now your mom is out a $1000. So now, if you wanted a $2000 car, your mom is now spending $3000. yeah, you can blame it on her all you want, but she's willing to spend a grand on you which is more than my parents ever spent on me. Don't you have a job where you can save some money to pay for one? Fucking ride your bike to mcdonalds to work for a summer and you'll have a grand saved up easily by then.

I personally would prefer a Mazda Miata or Honda S2000 but I can't get her to go that high and I need a car because I'm paying people $20 for a ride like every other day or using uber and it's really expensive

>Miata
Don't buy a fucking meme car.

It's your first car, aim a little lower at something reliable like a Toyota.

>first car
>"me poor"
>miata

Your best bet is a geo metro. Shitbox? Yes, but it is a good shitbox that my friend has, it's never had an issue and it is surprisingly comfy

Another high schooler here in nyc, but moving to PA for college next year. Might need to buy a car for that, not sure on my budget yet, but I do have a list of cheap cars that I like, but I don't know if they'll make good first cars. Here's the list:

96 Corolla
Volvo 240
90's Subaru Legacy Outback
93 Subaru Impreza Outback
Mercedes W123 or W124 (heard they're really reliable)

>1000 dollars
Lol good luck. Try 3 grand or less, read the sticky, and get a good one.

You can probably -actually no- you can DEFINITELY find an old 90s Buick for less than $1500. Those cars, especially the ones with the v6 3800 (which off the top of my head are LeSabres, Park Aves) are for some reason always super cheap and they're my best bang for your $$ cars.

American, so parts are widely available , more than likely owned by an older person, so definitely driven a little and probably taken care of well, they're big, spacious, and comfortable.

My 93 LeSabre I paid just $1000 for including fees at the DMV. Just 81k miles.

>falling for the old lady meme

Wait what? What meme is that

Do old ladies just now get oil changes and other stuff?

yeah, get the corolla. not the coolest car on your list, but by far the most reliable and best for a college student. try to find one with a manual trans if possible.

Well what money are you bringing to the table. Sounds like shes giving you a grand for a car so either put up or shutup if you want more.

My parents matched me up to a grand for my first car. Damned if that didnt make me scrounge, save and do shitty jobs around the neighborhood to have a grand in the bank by 16.