/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta, as if that's an excuse)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/groups/agdg-audiofriends

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
discord.gg/chquY2e
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/MrLasla/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=T-HN0d9fNzg
clyp.it/t0r5vv30
youtube.com/watch?v=0nRPoS2WDJA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No

link to this tutorial

I've seen enough anime and movies to know that something cool is about to happen

youtube.com/user/MrLasla/videos

Danke

>40 part series
>The end result looks like shit

kek

nth for HUD design still being a pain in the ass.

I need to figure out what I'm gonna do with those three skinny red things on the far right of the bar, I'm trying to make a nice visual indicator to show the player how many rows of bullets they have left.

So I'm gonna either turn them into pistons that raise up when you have a stock, or make them tube lights like I attempted here.

Only because the reference he's working from is the more realistic variety and not so cute.

Maybe monogame should be in the OP under >engines

>watch me do something with insipid commentary for 78 minutes
>>>>>>>>>"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""tutorial""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

>model doesn't change at all from beginning to end of scene

put some effort into it

Cool

>streaming

Commentary isn't even needed if you can see what they're doing in a video

> I have never modelled shit in my life
> LOOK AT ME HURR

>character design
>game development

>all those basic things anyone who is a 3D artist should know

how did she even get hired

You sound like a faggot.

But do you have a job user?

I still stop by and admire what this guy made with game maker from about 4 yrs ago. Looks like the gamejolt DL is still there too.

youtube.com/watch?v=T-HN0d9fNzg

no

please kill me

Jesus that absurd distance and those constant transitions.

Pretty cool; Fuck that camera though, damn

>unsheathes katana
>teleports behind you
nothing personnel kid

Is this a serious post?

Bottom price office computers are capable of running Hearthstone smoothly. Bottom tier smartphones and tablets can run Hearthstone smoothly. You don't need a gaming rig to play most PC games now, but a toaster from 2007 is a toaster, plain and simple.

If your computer is so old that it can't handle video streaming and games from 2010 just stay out of PC gaming. There are plenty of 3rd world hobbies for human garbage.

would an xcom clone with hexagons be superior to rectangles?

>You don't need a gaming rig to play most PC games now,
don't you have a ps4 thread to start on /v/?

Hex grids are fucking aids to write AI for.

See Civ 5 onwards

Don't you have welfare checks to collect? You disgusting poorfag.

>You disgusting poorfag.
But I'm not.

C'mon now kiddos.

Touch dicks and make up.

And post your games.

Hexagons are superior to rectangles, but I actually think xcom is an example of a game where it doesn't really matter.

May even get in the way, given that you spend so much time hiding behind flat obstacles.

clyp.it/t0r5vv30
clyp.it/t0r5vv30
clyp.it/t0r5vv30

We run and gun now

Awful, learn to export properly as well if this is a serious post.

you don't like my boss track? can you give me some notes?

>151680419
(You)

>tfw you take good long hard look at your game
>it's shit

>tfw you take good long hard shit

If you really think modern computers can't handle most PC games you're either poor and stupid or sheltered and stupid.

>yfw it doesn't work

At least you have enough taste to know that its shit user.

"Most PC games" aren't multi-platform shitware like HS and the like you dumb faggot.

Hexagons are superior but a bit harder to work with. Still imho it doesn't matter in xcom games that much. I don't know about a xcom type game with a hex grid so you might have some novelty if you go that route. So if you're a noob go with squares otherwise try hexagons.

Not with proper encapsulation.

>it's an "external library works fine in 99% of cases then takes a fat ogre shit in the last %" debugging day

>bloating your game with excess libs
wew lad

Most PC games are highly configurable regarding performance.

I have no idea why you're so intent on arguing about this topic except that it must have something to do with you being a faggot and your life being of a generally poor quality.

>encapsulation
>using a programming buzzword incorrectly.

You sure are obsessed with that word, I wonder why.

Someone want to come up with the topology/heightmap of a 12x12 tile forest stage? It's for a TRPG. Humanoids are about 3 units tall and trees can be marked with "T". Something like this would work:

00122222T211
etc

A char's movement range is generally 5 tiles or less. Jump is around 4. Curious to see what others come up with.

>I have no idea why you're so intent on arguing about this topic except that it must have something to do with you being a faggot and your life being of a generally poor quality.
/thread

*tips fizzbuzz*

kys

That post was a reply to a post that also said faggot. Your desperation is as disgusting as your poorfag mindset. Remove yourself.

Well in my opinion the problem isn't that you can't run it, it's that it eats up too much resources for what it is. It's just a card game not a 3d action game. Granted, I don't have a gaming computer but it's a pretty solid build for my needs and I don't know about you but I like to play games like that when I take a break from work without having to turn everything off, and when I have a browser and photoshop with a project open I'm having problems with running it smoothly and that's why I stopped playing that game.

Imagine the kind of literal human garbage that sits around in gamedev threads crying about hearthstone "running like shit".

Fucking hearthstone. A 2d game designed to run on any computer made after 2010.

HEARTHSTONE

>forgot to look at references again

T00000000000T
T00000000000T
T00000000000T
x12

>tfw you want more thoughts and feedback on your game but you've already posted it

T00T/10

keep in mind we do have BR and other third world shits here.

>2016
>average computer has 4g of memory
>talking about 'bloat'
The fuck are you even doing pretending to be involved in gamedev? You're still rubbing sticks together.

Got sidetracked for two hours just watching videos of people fell trees with axes on youtube. It's entirely related to the game/experience I want to make but man, being a lumberjack back in the day must of been enjoyable like 30% of the time.

>his game uses mp3 files

dropped

these zika bugs are killing me

>code a bunch
>hit a wall
>take 3 month break
Anyone else do shit like this? How do I stop?

I can run everything smoth up to gta the latest one which is a little bit sluggy.

>I don't know what bloat means
I bet you use boost, too

sounds like you already stopped

Those are some THICC cables

Oh no a whopping 5 MB added to my executable size

How can I live with myself

The term "bloat" as used unironically when referring to games or other applications means "I have autism" and "I'm a poor faggot with a toaster".

Most steam users have 8GB

My game has no sound

You swallow the discouragement and either look for an alternative solution or go back to studying programming books

taking a "break" longer than a day will hurt you and waste time.

I will make a text-based game for the next person who tells me what to do.

>caveman "devs" getting rekt
Tell us more about how evil bloat is and how everything needs to be open source.

You smells-like-onions bugeyed nodevs lmao. Go back to your /dpt/ and stay there.

Cute neet anime fan girl dating

a text based first person shooter game
where the scrolling text is shaded/scaled to create a 3d effect so its literally a text based first person shooter and not just a text adventure

i don't smell at all, and I use oop so fuck off.

Surely some madman has already made something like that.

youtube.com/watch?v=0nRPoS2WDJA

Just make a regular FPS and render using libcaca

Anyone here implemented A*? If so, how long does it take to execute if you're looking for a path on a 40x40 grid, let's say from one edge to the other.

its not that good. I think

Thank you for being first.
So the girl you're trying to woo is
1) cute
2) a NEET
3) an anime fan
Is that all?

post your work :^)

A part of me saw this and thought, huh if all they are doing to replicate an image is changing the letters then it's not really spending a lot of time rendering new things on screen, if you did that with colored sprites... you'd have a lower resolution version of the original game, wow, I am dumb.

should i charge shekels for my game?

Yes

T0000000000T.

Is your game worth shekels?

Either way, yes.

is it good?

free2play
pay2win

This is the future we chose.