Is it truly possible to change who you really are? And if yes how?

Is it truly possible to change who you really are? And if yes how?

You change who you are every moment.

We do it all the time, the cells in your body are the the same cells from 7 years ago.

You are not the same person a year ago, a month ago or even yesterday.

the cells in your body are not the*

My bad.

I'm pretty sure OP is referring to personality, and no. Your soul is created by God at birth and will never change for eternity, although your opinions may change due to imperfect knowledge and passions.

Kinda your body chemistry does change, but it is much easier to change the way you act

I was meaning in a more emotional way as in personality,work ethic,preferences etc

>Your soul is created by God at birth
Wrong, souls part of the background fabric of the Magisterium, neither created or destroyed.

>will never change for eternity
Souls change constantly from life experiences.

T. Heraclitus

Yes, you can. But "how" is a really difficult question. Learning about life, who you are, about other people can change you. After all the human being is the most adptable species of the planet. Changing is a human trait.

Yes, but it's usually gradual, unless you have a truly transformative experience on MDMA or some shit

In nature you change from, happinstance and effort.

If you are struck by lightning, then fear storms, you have changed.

If you vow to never lie again, and you stick to it, you have changed.

Altering ones nature is simple, but when you are the one making the change it is hard, yet simple.

I for one have vowed to god never to lie again, and I slip here and there subconciously but I am now seen as an honest person.

It becomes easier once you realize everything is a spook and manufactured, therefore controllable.

Of course. Your mind is like an ocean. You experience the waves on the surface as your conscious thoughts, but the currents beneath control the waves more than you realize.

Where the mind is different is that you can control the waves. Constant effort toward directing the waves can change the currents beneath over time. The waves will move easily the way you want them to once the current has changed.

Well said

In some ways contemporary society is very structured. Meaning that you are put within complex systems like kindergarten and school and highschool and university. There are different paths but they are all charted and resisting them is also structured because the system melds with ways to resist to it.
It is in fact very hard to find new ways to resist systems in ways in which the existing structure of society cannot quickly incorporate into itself.

In some ways the way ISIS resists social structures seems to be effective yet for it to be effective it forces its members to take suicidal actions with the sole goal of shaking the structure. So at the moment western complex social structures and system are having a hard time to deal with suicidal acts resulting from information propagated through the intertubes.
Western structures cannot contain virtual groups cause they cannot contain virtual space which is essentially a shared brain that involves no action but results in individual suicidal action.

In contemporary society the individual is so overswamped with ideals and perceptions which are not related to his immediate life and experience that he finds it hard to feel himself or grounded.

Everything is rationalized and structured, even thinking itself.
When someone tells you your life is all about your mother and father and how they treated you its a rationalization, a restructuring of your life and past. You have to become aware of society's attempts to rationally structure you and turn you, effectively turning you into a machine. You have to let yourself flow and connect to yourself again, to regain perception of your immediacy and the things around you. To connect to how you feel before you start rationalizing your actions and the actions of others.

Yes, but who you "are" isn't exactly clear, even to yourself. Your brain is a mixture of old and new hardware, all trying its best to survive a chaotic world. The older parts of your brain have a crazy amount of control over how you act.

Your identity is pretty much just a social institution that you have become extremely dependant on. You aren't really anybody, just a collection of sensory inputs that is tied together with the illusion of uniformity.
>inb4 fedora

I'm convinced that most personality change happens extremely gradually and without intent. Cultural factors and the various events that crop up in our life slowly morph you over time, usually into someone more cautious and cynical, but hey not always.

Real conscious change can only occur from intense desire or intense regret. It might be possible to foster the necessary motivation to truly change your temperament, I doubt most people are up for it however.

operant conditioning

>Is it truly possible to change who you really are? And if yes how?

I'm not sure if it is, because whatever happens to you, was meant to be in some respect anyway.

So even if change is real, it is impersonal it seems to me and not really "willed".

LSD

Yes.
Every action generates a reaction.
Ergo
Every event that affects you changes you.
Done.

Now, please, let's not argue about free will. There's a time and place for that and the place is the /lit board. Goodnight. Sleep tight.

Are you the same person you were as a kid or a teenager? Do you imagine your grandparents are the same people they were in their youth?
Of course you can fucking change and you do change against your will all the time without even being aware of it

Provided you give them a new world view that may shock them/ put them out of their comfort zone, you can be changed.

I nearly turned into a holocaust denier/ race realist, however, presented with the facts that I have seen which counter act them, I have changed, but not in the way they wanted me to.

I've become somewhat more libertarian, but aside from that, I have seen a horse shoe theory put in place.

My outlook on certain issues have changed.

change is the effect time has on matter

You mean the bad of the you from 51 seconds before.