/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

2cat edition

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.06
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

lmao, 2meme

Sorry, you guys don't seem to understand. They are randomly generated, but you can look at these to figure out what repeats itself.
Size for titans FBs and demons is always the same. Vampirism is always the same.

And pertinent to the convo that was responded to, everything about zombies is always the same, except for the 20%/60%/100% speed.

Does swimming still raise your stats in adventure mode?

Yes.

Its a pretty slow way to do it tho

Roughly ten years ago a were beast bit and infected a couple of people, among them a kid. I put them in this quarantine and for some reason on the first moon they started fighting among each other and only the kid and the now berserking dwarf are alive.
I've read that the berserker will attack anyone on sight and that he is now accounted as an enemy of my civ. Although he and the kid shouldn't fight while in the weremouse mode, why didn't he attack the kid in the past 10 years? Will he attack the kid once it grows up? Neither of them move around that little space at all, and it's quite possible that they haven't even seen each other since he went berserk (strange mood related).

I didn't even care about those two until I had the idea to make that kid strip mine by itself when it grows up, but the pick is next to that berserking miner, so I can\'t even guess what will happen if I enable him mining once he grows up. Should I dump him some steel armor so he can kill the berserker one day?

>all that kaolinite
Can't see your porcelain industry, user.

I've dug deep, but I've lost the greedy part. I have only one magma kiln for that stuff and I use it for porcelains statues and oil jugs, nothing else. I make iffy forts, but my management of idling dwarves is atrocious.

The wiki CLAIMS people will not attack werebeast kids and that they're neutral.

But not even went they are berserking?

What's a better way then?

wrestle an armadillo

Alright thanks

Get full armor and a shield, cut the legs off a zombie and move side to side at minimum speed a bajillion times. Super fast and easy.

This is some shit

>dumped in a hole for 10 years
>the ravenous man who killed everyone you knew stands in a corner
>staring at a wall
>soon, you will come of age
>soon, he will notice you
>you will have to kill him, or he will kill you
>this is the only life you have ever known

The kid has been playing make belief since it was a baby. The only world it has ever known was the one it created. That's some tough ass shit. I wish the miner didn't go crazy, otherwise I'd have them train for all eternity.

Wrote a shitty raw parser that read all the files and looked for certain tags.

Out of 867 randomly generated beasts:
603 (70 %) had a syndrome tag
123 (14 %) were webbers
43 (5 %) had an undirected dust attack (all of these also had a syndrome)

The most common materials were:
unspecified/flesh? 602 (69.4 %)
water 61 (7.0 %)
salt 28 (3.2 %)
mud 20 (2.3 %)
ash 19 (2.2 %)
grime 17 (2.0 %)
fire 15 (1.7 %)
vomit 13 (1.5 %)
amber 10 (1.2 %)
coral 8 (0.9 %)

Various inorganic materials including steel, brass and diamond were around 0.1%-0.2%, though this sample size is obviously not large enough to get good numbers on those.

I write UIs for telemetry monitoring and analysis tools at work. Kind of tempted to make a UI for analyzing DF now.

>coral is a material in the game
>the animals themselves are not

Well, I know werebeast kids attack me, and attack others who aren't changed.

Check out the dfhack lua api's and c++ plugin links and see what you can hook into, AV has a lot of stuff you might find interesting too.

I'm getting an itch to play DF again.
Is the starter pack/lazy newb pack up to date with a working Rapist and DFhack?

>I write UIs for telemetry monitoring and analysis tools at work. Kind of tempted to make a UI for analyzing DF now.
I'd love this on Linux.

The changeover to 64 bit is making dfhack take a while since a lot of it has to be reworked due to the new compiler and such on top of the actual bitness changes.

>inb4 someone posts that shitty "64 bit graphics" comic

I would but don't know which one you mean, so have a little mantis I was laughing at the other day because she kept looking around, seeing my eyes, and beelining up my arm to come kick my ass I guess?

Why does this town have a problem with dwarfs named Zefon stealing their people?
How do I go about finding either Zefon?

He's a babysnatcher.

No, you can't really bring the kids home, although you could rescue them and bring them somewhere safe without creating a shit storm.

Legends Viewer is easiest.

Why are they both called Zefon tho

rng

Try checking the tell a story > site > filter > zefon and see if you can track down hints there?

>you can't really bring the kids home
But you can, assuming you know exactly where their parents are(which can be hard if they live in a big town and aren't nobelty/clergy. thankfully, nearly all rescued children belong to either nobles or high priests, so they're easy to save).

You can, but they go berserk.

Since when? I remember saving lots of kiddos in the 0.40 versions. Did the tavern release fuck this up?

Parents greet them warmly, are all happy and run towards the kids, and then the shanking starts while I wtf all over the place.

>beelining up my arm to come kick my ass I guess?
Oh yee of little faith.
Likely you were the first Titan it saw that didn't ignore it, or try to attack it.
It saw you as a benevolent god, and came to petition for your patronage for all his kind, that they may build a better future, and erect a civilization in your honour as you protect them from the vileness of the other Titans.

You passed up your chance to be Prometheus.

Hey guys. Haven't played in a while and I just downloaded the latest build. Any one have an idea of when dwarf therapist still be working? The game is about impossibly tedious without it.
I hate

never

I have zero clue. I have only rescued kiddooos in the current version.

If you wanna rescue kiddoos, just bring em somewhere safe, tell them to wait somewhere safe, and cancel the agreement. Then they'll be somewhere that they won't be goblinized, and later if it gets fixed you can rescue them for reals.

Well I had picked her up the day before, this time I brought her in to show the missus, and it was damn amusing that she would look around at the room some, then make eye contact and rush up my arms. Gonna have to let her get all the way up to me I guess, see what she does.

just in time for the next big DF update to come out and be incompatible

>The game is about impossibly tedious without it.
it's not that bad

How do i get people to join my if their "duty is here"

kill everyone else in the town

>the lady embraces the child
>the lady draws the bronze slicing knife
Shh, no more tears. Only dreams now.

I got a stranger to adopt the rest of the kids, figured maaaaybe it was just THAT kid at first.

In the seven years I've been playing, I haven't really thought about it, but just now it struck me how extremely obsolete the bay12 main page looks. I kinda like it, though.

I'm tempted to go back to Masterwork just because of what I read about it having weapons made of fire that can set foes ablaze.

I'm not sure if that's a raw thing or a dfhack thing, but you should still be able to take it from mastershit and put into an otherwise clean game. There is no need to go full Dark Days Ahead with the bloat.

The modern version of Masterwork is massively less popular than the old version precisely because it cut out most bloat, now most of the stuff is perfectly reasonable.

Rate my world

looks nice.

of course the best worlds tend to be aesthetically displeasing globs of glaciers and volcanos touching

I really enjoy browsing old school web sites. Modern ones are laggy, and overdesigned.

It's just tedious and eventually I get a bunch of dwarves with a million jobs.

Yup.

understandable I guess, but my MO is to limit pop to 85 or so, 30-40 of which are full-time militia members
it's mostly for FPS reasons but it means labours are easy to manage too

Could the issue of Dark Fortresses being slow as fuck be partially a relative speed issue?

I've noticed if I'm moving at max speed the issue is a lot less noticeable.

It is. Basically, the speed loss is from waiting for all other loaded npcs to make their moves. If you're faster than them, you won't notice it.

Also, maybe you've noticed that the animated arrows move just as fast when the game slows down.

I personally suspect that dark fortress lag isn't really caused by performance issues, but rather by the game waiting for the visual presentation of each move every NPC makes.

Yes, being a vampire is basically a requirement both for that and to find jack shit. Night also makes it much easier.

If Toady made wider hallways and rampways it would be fine.

>tfw you gave oomans GEN_DIVINE in order to make them even more random and exotic
I still can't believe that it actually worked, though.

So... Why is there a giant elephant stuck in a tree?

Look on the right.

probably saw a mouse

that's a mighty strong tree

Ok guys. Relatively new to fort mode, but long time fan of the game. Any particular *FUN* I should try first?

Yes, I endorse going into inorganic_sand_soil and delete everything that doesn't have the sand or clay keywords, except for the ocean stuff, so you can play with glass, if you haven't yet. Glass is amazing

How can I work with glass without editing anything? I prefer to keep the world intact for the time being.

find some sand, it's not that uncommon and only really awesome if you have a magma glass workshop imo

Well, you would use an adventurer to scout out places with sand then or whatever.

Underrated post.

How do I cage trap? I've got a kitty tied in a tunnel with a trap in front of him, yet the giant cave spider just goes by paying no mind.

I actually want crocodiles but I wouldn't mind a spider either.

going by it or going on it?

I agree wholeheartedly.
So does this guy: idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm

Holy shit you can design your fortress' symbol now?

this is next gen as fuck

Whoa, another Goblin siege.

Faster than I expected. I barely cleaned up armor and weapons from last battlefiend and still some stuff lying there.

That guy's issues are kinda retarded from reading the first few paragraphs, a page with a spattering of images is going to be over 1mb even after accounting for page styling including headers and such (wouldn't really count those because they'd be cached).

I'd say the problem he's referring to there stems mostly from ads.

It passed near it and completely ignored the kitty. Right now there are a few naked mole dogs there, I got one but apparently the others are just standing by and chilling with the kitty for some reason.

it's pretty neat

I always imagine that "menacing pose" means flexing. I can't possibly imagine how a block would do that, though.

you're right, it wasn't a totally serious attempt
if there was a "the blocks are really fucking big and impressive looking" option, I'd have gone for that

I knew this would happen and sent them in anyway. Time to abandon and resettle. I hope "Ner" invades again.

Thanks for the read

He gets to that later in the article

>if there was a "the blocks are really fucking big and impressive looking" option, I'd have gone for that
Tell me more about the "really fucking big and impressive looking blocks" you drew in your video game, user.

You didn't have any steel to fight it with?

they're, uh, strong, and stiff
oh god

Holy shit the guy was using silver warhammers and couldn't chink it's skin. How terrifying

Cause steel trumps silver.

huge monsters made of metal are no joke. even bronze or iron things can be a huge problem if your dwarves are having to deal with dust or gas or webs at the same time

I was still importing enough steel for production. I quadruple(gold furniture for all) my wealth to obtain more goblinite but this came first. I chose not to trap it in a corner somewhere.

You didn't have the resources to self produce steel?

not him but about 90% of the forts I play don't have iron, it's a pretty common "problem" (and by problem I mean choice)

So do you still need to do your homework with legends viewer and pick the most dumb spots to get goblin sieges or something

No iron on the map. Plenty of Flux though. Hence the importing.

PROTIP: Gobbos have purple pi symbols that represent dark fortresses

you can literally get sieges and ambushes on DAY FUCKING ONE if your fort is in the right spot

not nearly as much. if you're reasonably close to a populated goblin site, you'll get attacked
if the goblin sites are empty or you embark on an island or something, you'll still be immune

but embarking RIGHT next to a dark fort now seems only necessary if you want tons and tons of sieges

I like the idea of a fort that is positioned so that it will protect NPC sites from sieges esp since verifiably even a defeated siege doing a march of shame back to base will trigger a new siege if it stumbles upon your fort

First time I see goblin recruit as invader. It feel like they running out of troops to trow at me.

>since verifiably even a defeated siege doing a march of shame back to base will trigger a new siege if it stumbles upon your fort
neat, haven't heard of that before, although it makes sense considering I've had "siege" announcements before when necros were clearly just passing by
I guess how well that would work depends a lot on the size of your embark space
will the goblins who stumble upon you actually attack? or will they just try to walk home

As far as I know they have normal siege AI. But then again I didn't give them the opportunity.

I guess i'm a mega noob cause I can't really play without local iron sources.

rimworld is fun but im disappointed that it's only 2d

3d too complicated for casuals