Why was he the only guy to run more than twice?

Why was he the only guy to run more than twice?

If it was legal, why didn't anyone try before him? Why did they change the rule to two maximum after he died?
Did people get upset when he ran for a third and fourth term or did they accept that the stability he brought was necessary?

No.

Tradition.

They likes him 'cause he made America great again.

>If it was legal, why didn't anyone try before him?
They didn't win.

It was legal but counter to tradition to run more than twice because George Washington declined a third term because he did not want to become a tyrant. So, FDR was free to get elected the 4 times he did. After him they immediately made term limits though.

Who was the president that ran for a third term before him?

No one. As far as I recall, he was the first to win a third AND fourth term.

oddly enough, if memory serves, teddy roosevelt tried for a third term but lost to taft (lol).

Teddy Roosevelt, Grant, Cleveland.

He lost to Wilson.

the public loved him, and he wasn't especially controversial. and whether true or not, people tend to think that changing the head of state in the midst of crises (first the great depression and then the second world war). america was loyal to him and wanted no interruptions during the critical years, and it was fine. he didn't ever become a tyrant, he was - and still is - a role model for a head executive of the USA.

i'm still glad the term limit exists now, not everyone would be a mild as our FDR. he was a pretty important head of state when he was, and i reckon he knocked it out of the park.

Thanks, very interesting

uhmmm... okay...

teddies third term wasn't consecutive

Teddy didn't run in 1909. He ran again in 1912. You should have scrolled down the page more instead of being a fucking idiot.

>he didn't ever become a tyrant

>literally bullied and stacked the Supreme Court to get his way
>not a tyrant
Pick one and only one.

He lost to both.

All I can hear is

>BAWWWWW
>but he was a librul
>libruls aren't good presidents
>why does everyone like him

But seriously, he was just an all around winner.

opinions are like assholes user. and you seem to have more than one.

He didn't. He never ran against Taft.

Did he even make it to that election? Pretty sure his health kicked the stool right out from underneath him by that point.

The reason it's all you can hear is because you're plugging your ears and screaming as loud as you can.

>objective truth
>opinion
Nah. It's a well known historical fact that FDR bullied the shit out of the Supreme Court so he could stack it and brute force legislation. Opinions about his legislation completely aside, it was an extremely tyrannical move that was opposed by both parties but he still forced it through.

Why does Obama have to go ;_;

Yep. He pretty well handed the election to Wilson by splitting the Right vote as well. It's the famous election where he was shot during a speech.

enlightened despotism is the best form of government anyway

The two term thing came from Washington's final SOTU. It didn't become the law until well after FDR.

Roosevelt ran again because it was 1940. The Depression was finally getting better, and WW2 was starting. FDR won massive, landslide victories because he was a great leader and his policies were working. Why toss aside a strong, proven leader in favor of a question mark at the dawn of a world war?

He probably would've lost had MacArthur been the Republican nominee in 2014.

Whoops lol. I meant 1944

Fucking hell every time i see someone post that image i initially instantly think its gamal abdel nasser.

the privilege of being elected head of state

>oh tisk tisk the const'ution is so flawed

He wasn't. He was the only one to get elected more then twice. Why? Movie, Radio and World War II. Fear of the war in Europe kept the common american in enough fear to forgo tradition and keep electing a president that for the most part, had done his job. People were scared and wanted assurance that everything would be ok. FDR gave them that.

Others did try. They failed. Americans didn't want tyrants. At least in times of peace. That is also why in was changed after him. While he did a good job, the idea that someone could use such a situation to become a tyrant was too obvious. See the historical lessons of Caesar.

Some were upset, but the majority wanted to be safe. They wanted to stay out of the war and not sacrifice their lives or their children's lives to fix problems thousands of miles away when they were just getting things fixed at home. Then some dumb ass Japanese war planning threw that into the toilet and FDR had all the excuse he needed to declare war. Which privately he felt was the best course, but publicly he could not fully endorse.

This is an example of a constitutional convention. They are much more extensive in other Westminster democracies (UK, Canada, Australia, NZ). Look them up they are pretty interesting.

Maybe if you'd read the fucking article you'd know.

Because he's been a shitty fucking president. And because term limits, and because he's slightly less twisted and corrupt as Shillary, and because racial tensions have gotten significantly worse since he stepped into office, and because his wife probably has a dick, and because reasons, and reasons, and because for the first black (half black) president, he's proven to the world that niggers are terrible leaders.