I think my Caprice is leaking transmission fluid, but the dipstick still says it's full. Overfull actually...

I think my Caprice is leaking transmission fluid, but the dipstick still says it's full. Overfull actually. But if it won't move after putting it into gear, adding TF seems to fix it. Just tried to drive it yesterday after sitting for several months, and it wouldn't budge, but I'm worried it's already got too much TF in it.

Also usually I can get it to go if I rev the shit out of it, is this a sign of low TF? This time (after it had sat for several months) reving the shit out of it wouldn't do anything.

Don't flush or add more fluid until you've determined the source of your leak. Drop the transmission and make sure it hasn't eaten itself.

>caprice
deliver directly to the junk yard and buy something that doesn't suck

Guess your mom is out of the question then

Clutches may be worn to fuck or stuck, given that it's stood for some time I'd guess they're stuck. But then, seeing as you said you have to rev it up a lot if could be that the clutches are all worn.

Could maybe be torque converter, but I'm not too clued up on the symptoms of those.

S A V A G E

Fuckin ruthless.

Are you checking the fluid while hot in park?

Shit I don't know, not really I guess (recently).
How long should I idle for before checking?

Low hydraulic pressure. Change the filter.

Just check it after you go for a drive.
Or, if it's not moving, maybe idle for 10 minutes in drive or neutral, just so you can get the fluid warmed up and expanded.
On 99% of vehicles, checking auto trans fluid is done this way, as operating temp is reached after a couple minutes worth of driving

I changed the filter over a year ago, and have driven less than 50 miles since then.

Your transmission is fucked. The good news is that turbo 350's are dirt cheap.

fucking hell lads

You got the 305? If so it might be your rear main seals, I had the same issue on my old G body Monte Carlo w/305

Yep

There is literally nothing wrong with that

>B-but muh euro shitbox has tighter gaps!
>A-American quality is shit

I know right. If you ask me I'd say that artist's rendition has been wrecked, maybe totalled.

Might be a blockage in the cooler lines, take them off and run something through them to check.

Could also be leaking seals, you could try dumping a bottle of lucas transmission fix through it and see if it helps.

If your radiator is rusted out you could have coolant in the lines, which would destroy the clutch pack material and other stuff if it had a chance to circulate.

It might just be low on fluid,in 70s slushboxes the valve body and lines can suck up and hold a lot of fluid once the engines going and can leave the pan low which can lead to erratic dipstick readings.
Let it get warm and then try doing a reading.

gasket from the pan is worn. Replace the filter and gasket.

>the dipstick still says it's full. Overfull actually
>it won't move after putting it into gear
>can get it to go if I rev the shit out of it
>This time reving the shit out of it wouldn't do anything
>you could try dumping a bottle of lucas transmission fix through it
nope