I drive a 2004 Dodge stratus (pos im aware) and I recently got a check engine light. I bring it in to dodge courtesy...

I drive a 2004 Dodge stratus (pos im aware) and I recently got a check engine light. I bring it in to dodge courtesy, and apparently its the ignition coil. Theyre telling me its gonna cost me $635 bucks for the part/labor, does that sound right? I looked up how to change the part myself and the guy literally did it in about 10 minutes. They also mentioned changing the spark plugs for me just in case since thats something commonly changed with the coil. Should I just buy the part and change it myself or is it worth 635?? Pic some shit I grabbed of google images.

Other urls found in this thread:

shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-by-bwd-ignition-coil-e423/20240042-P?navigationPath=L1*14923|L2*15034|L3*16064
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you can ever do the work yourself, why would you even consider paying someone else to do it?

change the plugs first, then see what happens

I know as a damn fact its not the plugs, they were changed within the year.

It's $80 and pretty damn simple.

shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-by-bwd-ignition-coil-e423/20240042-P?navigationPath=L1*14923|L2*15034|L3*16064

One of the easiest diys

If I change the coil out myself the problem is I dont know how to check if its a specific cylinder fucking it up or if it was just the cylinder. They would run the diagnostics themselves to make sure it was the coil afterwards. Without changing the spark plugs, it comes out to 450 bucks.

10$ part at any junkyard and 30min of work max. Or order it on amazon or ebay.

i'm andand back in the late 80's precision tune did a tune up on my mom's chevette. 6 months later it refused to start and my brother and I spent 2 days tearing that engine apart checking timing and spark and other shit. Had an engine ninja friend come over and check it and it took him 5 minutes to figure out they had put in plug in the wrong heat range. Never assume something is right because a "professional" did it.

If you're that inept you shouldn't be working on anything

I DRIVE I DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS

a specific cylinder or just the cylinder? is that a typo? I really am trying to help.

The cylinder nigger shit

That doesn't mean they are 100% sure to still be working.

No one knows if your plugs were fucked. Depends on what you bought. If you bought some stage 2/3-tier sparkplugs then dont think its them, but if you bought used or cheap you'd better check

You dumbass. Ask your boyfriend for help, dipshit. I'm out of nice.

SO DO I!

A V6 COUPE RT

AND FINDING PARTS IS HARDER THAN MY DICK ON SATURDAY NIGHTS

Can you get a code reader op? That'll tell you which cylinder isn't firing or whatever.
If its the coil pack thats not a hard job at all. Just replace it, who cares which cylinder it is. That unit there is complete

if a cylinder wasnt firing wouldnt i be having significant problems with the car? if a cylinder is fucked up, is it expensive to fix?

You really should just let the dealer do it. You clearly aren't intelligent enough to do this yourself.

depends which of the at least components of a cylinder is fucked

If a cylinder isnt firing its not getting a spark and not igniting the fuel. Its not a piston/cylinder issue its an ignition issue. Ive driven on 3 cylinders for quite awhile before. Its not the end of the world

at least 4 components i meant

im smart enough to fuck ur mom xD

Find a nice dark place to pop your hood start your car. Look at your plug wires and watch for arching glowing shit around your plug wires. It might only be plug wires.

But not smart enough to go anywheres near her car. Bring it to the dealer op

If you were running on 3 cyl you would hear/feel it sputtering.

Go to autozone and have them pull codes for free. They will usually give a no bullshit opinion.

Pull one plug at a time and put the wire back on have a friend turn the engine over and check to see if it sparks. While it is out check the gap. Google your cars firing order, and plug gap. Make sure your wires are not crossed, check each plug one at a time. If one is dead check with a known good plug. If still dead check plug on known good wire. If still dead coil is broken.

Manufacturing faults happen, change the plugs before you even think about changing the coil

Hold plug on unpainted engine part and look at gap to see spark. Congrats op is mechanic

my mom also had a POS Stratus
coils did go out
replaced all 4
cam sensor went out as well.

do it yourself, it's not that hard.

>You really should just let the dealer do it. You clearly aren't intelligent enough to do this yourself.

Stealerships cheat on that hourly rate. It takes them 10 minutes to actually do it, but they make it sit on the hydraulic lift for 31 minutes so that they can legally charge one full hour. Then they move another car onto the lift and repeat. By the end of the day, they've rounded up a bunch of chargeable hours extra of profit. I watched from a distance and that is why my dealer staff did. It was not waiting for parts since the parts were ordered ahead of time. My car simply sat idling on the lift while I saw that tech go to another car to work on it. Therefore, I can only conclude they work on more than one job at a time because they clearly don't finish one job before moving to another. They just like to have technicians work on more than one car at once or assist on other cars. But all that time your car is on the lift NOT being worked upon, it is still racking up chargeable time that they round up. It's all technically legal. Since no one is allowed to watch and no windows are provided, it's just a world of temptation.

So you're saying if you replaced the coil you wouldn't know if the problem was actually low compression?

Go rent a shitty obd2 scanner from autozone, and move the suspect coil to another cylinder. Check the codes again and if the misfire moved to that cylinder then you know for sure what the problem is.

Also any competent mechanic would be able to properly diagnose a bad coil vs low compression. So if you still have a misfire after moving coils around you can buy a compression gauge for cheap and do a compression test.

You can save yourself a bunch of money if you know how to find car specific forums and know how to use YouTube

Forgot to mention this only works if you have coil on plug ignition. I'm not familiar with Chrysler product's but I know they used coil on plug around that time so you may be in luck op.