Okay, so this isn't going to be reasonable, but assuming I win the lottery, then it might become a reality

Okay, so this isn't going to be reasonable, but assuming I win the lottery, then it might become a reality.

My grandfather had a 1966 Ford F-100 truck. The monster has its original 460 CIs (that's 7538.05 CCs, or ~7.54 liters) engine that he maintained and adjusted himself. He'd tune some things, adjust the belt (all by hand; he never really used tools), and then start the engine to hear the sound. If he didn't like the sound, he'd shut it off and adjust again. He then used some tool to calculate how well-timed it is and found it to be less than 1/1000ths of whatever unit of time in which it works off, so all was good. I know this sounds like a fairy tale, but that's the most honest man I've ever known, and he's not one for fisher's tales. If there's anything that matches his honesty, it's how humble he is. I have no idea how much horsepower it has, but considering that he said that slamming the gas would cause the front end to bounce, I'm assuming there's a lot. Speaking of which, he had it adjusted so that it went over 100 mph (which at the time wasn't normal for a pickup truck) and he also had the rear tires slightly raised so that the front wouldn't bounce by nailing the accelerator to the floor. He also apparently doubled the fuel economy by replacing the rear end (that's his name for some part with gears; I'm not too familiar with cars) with one from a Ford Mercury sedan. He says that some gear was turning at a 3600 or 360 or something to 1 for the tire ratio, so he replaced that entire mechanism with one from the Mercury. I've gotten stories from other family members lucky enough to drive it who've all confirmed that this thing was a majestic, sexy beast capable of every last thing he claims it is.
(continued)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FqT2uOa1-d0
monroemi.craigslist.org/cto/5590623970.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Unfortunately, he totaled it before I was even born. It's been sitting in the middle of a forest for the past two decades and it's now a pile of rust. The engine never sustained damage in the wreck, so it was turned upside down and left in the car's wreckage to protect it from the elements or some nonsense; I'm sure it's a pile of rust now, too.

Anyways, how much would it cost to repair it?

Please note that the car in the provided pic is not his; it's simply the same make and model.

Lastly, before any of you faggots pull some "that's an unreliable car you don't want to repair it" or "just buy him a civic" or some shit, fuck you.

I don't care how the car performs. I don't care if it turns out that he lied about everything of which it's capable.

He loves that car and it would bring tears to his eyes to be able to drive that specific vehicle again. That's all about which I care.

>I have this piece of string here, could you tell me how long it is exactly?

Also, tuning old cars by ear is pretty easy once you have the knowledge
>doubled the fuel economy
rose tinted glasses
>100mph
maybe, assuming the speedo is correct

Again, I don't give two shits about whether or not he was telling the truth or not. I don't give a damn if it turns out the thing is worse than a 2001 Honda Civic that's had 0 parts replaced with 400,000 miles on it after having attended multiple demolition derbies

All I care about is the cost of repairing it with the parts he had in it

Idea:
I buy another 66 f-100, takes his old engine and rear end out of the totaled body, have them fixed up and repaired, and then present him with new truck?

If there's frame damage your best bet is to buy a new one, you can get them from junk yards pretty cheaply.
Body work is probably gonna be the most expensive part right after labor.
Probably end up spending more than 20k on it.

1) Buy identical truck
2) Take apart grandpa's truck and catalog all intact parts
3) Replace whatever parts you choose with grandpa's parts
4) Repaint in grandpa's color scheme

This is exactly what someone else would do if you paid to have a literal pile of rust "repaired"

>1966
>460 v8
not happening today, junior. 1966 got the 352 as the biggest engine, the 385 series was not added to the lineups until 68.

that being said I feel your pain user. last thing you want to hear is that your grandfather's #rekt 66 4th gen is going to to die out there but it is going to die out there.

you can repair anything with money, but you are better off just buying another ford. the cost to "repair" a crashed, 20 year old wrecked rusty truck will involve a new frame, body panels, interior, engine (might get away with a rebuild but I doubt it, it undoubtedly has rust within the block), suspension, rubber everything, running gear and glass.
>tl;dr: you need to buy a completely new truck and theseus ship that bitch to get his old truck back together

if it makes you feel better have a picture of my '65

>All I care about is the cost of repairing it with the parts he had in it
Let's look at the information you have provided us with:
>rust pile
>been crashed
Sounds like it's completely fucked and not worth repairing.
But consider this: you haven't even seen it. So how the fuck are we supposed to tell you what the repair job is worth? My crystal ball is in the shop

Assume this: more money than you make in a year

>20 years in a forest

Body is not worth fixing at minimum

>Engine upside down

wut. Also junk, seals are probably all gone, wouldn't surprise me if its full of water, or at least debris from animals getting into it.

OP, I wouldn't even bother.

He had his own engine put into it.

either way, I wouldn't.

did you ever think there's a reason your grandfather didn't just build another 66?

Because he's poor as fuck.
That's why. Every day he talks about how he wishes he could afford to rebuild it.

just buy him another then. if you really want to salvage that truck it is going to cost at a minimum of like 30k.

buying another 66, swapping in a 460 that's built and repainting will probably cost 15k

heaps more if you get a shop to do it.

Just buy him another '66 and claim it's the same truck.

That's already my new plan
See
Thanks alot lads

if you are going to do that, stick with a stock motor or a 351w for a bit. how much are you willing to spend on your grandad?

>yfw he totals it again after you get him a new one

I'm going to do this in small spurts. I've already found several good-looking black 1966 F-100 shortbeds in the area for $7,000 and less.

Assuming I save $9,000, I can buy one for $7,000 and still have plenty left over for my state's registration tax.

From there, I can probably sneakily steal the engine from my grandfather's heap of junk and have it repaired instead of buying a brand new one. My grandfather said that he was able to manually turn the engine recently, so there's hope for it. I'd need to look at it myself and show it or pictures of it to a trustworthy mechanic in my area (one does exist in my community) to get an idea of how much that would cost.

Then I can get it repaired and installed into the truck. From there, I can save up to have the rear end replaced with one from whatever year he thinks the Mercury's rear end came from.

The truck's certainly affordable. If nothing else, I can at least get him that. If I think I can get the rest, I'm going for it.

Wouldn't bother me a bit.
I'm doing this to make the old man happy. Even if he totals it, he'd have totaled it a happy man.
Anyways, he's frail. He'd get totaled in accidents too weak to total the car.

>have it repaired instead of buying a brand new one
I don't think you understand the cost of a full engine build/restoration

why are you doing this again? it seems like you need to save a lot of money just to give the truck away.

youtube.com/watch?v=FqT2uOa1-d0

Found a good song for your truck, user.

I am sorry.

Is this a troll thread?

Because my grandfather's a wonderful man and I want to.

If it's really going to be more expensive to have it repaired, I'll look into having it replaced.

do you have the economic stability to do this? My grandfather was a great man, but that didn't make me feel the burning desire to buy him a 49 cad just because that was the car he was most happy with.

Wew lad, just buy him a beater '66 for $3,500.

Oh, yeah.

I don't do things without thinking them through a TON first.

If I do this, it will likely be over a year before I even begin with it all after saving up.
The first thing I'd do is get set prices from local mechanics

Sounds like this project is a long way off. I'd at least buy the truck now before prices go up too much more.

But then I'd have to pay taxes on it the entire time.

>$3450

>taxes
I meant insurance

>$4300

>$4500

Classic car insurance is piss cheap if you don't drive the car much at all, or you can just have it uninsured because you're only really gonna drive it to make sure it doesn't atrophy.

not if you don't drive it on public roads until the project is complete

This one is restomodded and better than grandpa's ever was, out the door at $16000 put another $1000 in factory matched paint to grandpa's and watch him ride to Valhalla.

monroemi.craigslist.org/cto/5590623970.html

>$16k for that piece of shit

Probably not doubled, but if you put a really low gear in the rear end it'll certainly fucking help. A lot.

That's not actually that bad. It'll also save you a cuntload of money and hair pulling, OP.

aren't you that pizza face fat dude with the shitty nova?

Buy similar truck...pull usable parts of your grandfather's....I find the most of the vehicles "soul" to be in the grill, seat(lol it's going to be to far gone), tailgate..... smaller stuff mirrors, horn, steering wheel, hubcaps....ect

Hell pull the good parts now hang them on a wall tell stay in better shape and remind you