Why did men in the U.S. stop wearing hats?

Why did men in the U.S. stop wearing hats?

When they abandoned God.

We've been over this, in the past people actually spent most of their day outside, working, so the hat served a practical purpose of protecting your head from the elements and giving some shade to your face. Nowadays everybody works inside in an office, and when we don't we sit in a car (that has a roof) and as such there is no practical need for hats any more.

this plus you now can wash hair more often

They still wear hats, just not compelled by social pressure.

Thats ridiculous, many jobs weren't based in the outdoors and hadn't been for a long time

It's probably a few reasons: car culture, changes in hygeine (shampooing e.g.), changes in fashion and 60s counterculture. JFK is often blamed for the hat's demise, but Ike rarely wore the traditional presidential top hat either.

the 60s was the time of cephalic liberation

Shampoo

Black people and teenagers still wear hats.

I wish these were socially acceptable in the west. Would be so nice in the summer time.

>men

This is nonsense. People didn't make a mass migration indoors in 1958.

Kennedy was the first president to not wear a hat at his inauguration.

After that, hats started going out of fashion.

>implying

oh please....

>literally no one else wearing a hat
It looks like hats were already out of fashion when Kennedy chose not to wear one for inauguration.

They got self-conscious after the fedora meme was spammed

>literally three hats visible in the picture

Not that many wear them even in Vietnam. I spent three months there last year, and in the cities almost nobody wears them, they aren't really a fashion-thing as far as I could tell.

*I'm talking specifically about rice-hats here. Quite many over there wear caps and such, especially women who look like ashlanders from Morrowind due to their desire to not get darker from the sun.

It stopped raining

>one is a uniformed policeman

When I do work outside I wear an actual fedora because it's comfortable and keeps the sun off my face and neck.

No problems at all.

There are probably a lot of factors here, including Kennedy never wearing a hat that has been mentioned above. One possibility I read is the mass ownership of cars with roofs, combined with commuting; cars had low ceilings, and for all but the lowest hats (newsboy cap, etc.), there was a decent chance you would bump your hat on the ceiling of the car. Seems dumb, but little things like this can influence major fashion changes.

shame, your fedora must be covered in dust

Wow. Good one. I have a garden though, and I do a lot of wood chopping. I also wear it when I'm smoking food.