A new concept from Volvo Trucks is said use 30 percent less fuel compared to typical long-haul trucks...

A new concept from Volvo Trucks is said use 30 percent less fuel compared to typical long-haul trucks. The improved aerodynamic design includes the use of cameras instead of rear-view mirrors, optimized chassis side-skirts covering the rear wheels and improved air flow for the engine's cooling system. , newly-developed tires with lower rolling resistance are used, the trailer weight has been reduced by 2 tonnes (2.2 tons) and improvements have been made to the truck's drivetrain. The truck is powered by a Volvo D13 Euro 6 engine.

That sounds impressive if it's true.

How much duel does a truck use? I have no clue at all.

Like 6-7.5mpg

>optimized chassis side-skirts covering the rear wheels

Maybe this will also cause a design revolution for all passenger cars as well to have fender skirts over the wheels. That would be like those old days of cadillacs having covers over part of the rear wheels.

We'll call them spats.

good more cheap fuel for me

>improved aerodynamic design
>still using the shitty most un aerodynamic cabover layout

Cab overs will always be flying bricks. If they want to actually make real progress they need to start from the ground up and make something that resembles a bullet train.

>bullet train
Have fun getting that long ass thing through a left turn on an intersection

europeans aren't very smart.

And how do you suggest that would work?
Cabover is used because considering the length constraint you can load mroe cargo which mitigates the increased fuel usage.
Sure it's easy to design a truck that is very fuel-effficient but it sure as shit won't be compact which as pointed out is a major consideration.

>cover wheels
>remove mirrors
>curve the trailer a little
>smoothen the body a little

I mean,it's a good idea but they shouldn't be cockmeasuring with it,it's not that of a revelation

Other than that,modern volvo truck interiors are awesome

This is not America where every street is a kilometre wide,there's a quite big number of turns you'll have to take,a longer body doesn't help

I'd hate to change a tire on that thing

If the 30% claim isn't rubbish or misleading, then annoying tire changes is something I would deal with, if I were in the business.

Hopefully they've thought of that, though. Maybe the flaps slide up or something.
Maybe it uses caterpillar tracks

See, you say that, but I'd wager that you don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about

30% less fuel is probably getting pretty close to a revelation, provided it was measured against a modern truck

Now we just need it to drive itself.

>Concept
>Just a regular truck with fairings.

Frontal area is probably one of the most important things in aerodynamics.

>
>Frontal area is probably one of the most important things in aerodynamics.

The negative pressure zones under and behind the trailer lead to the majority of drag. The extra cone on the back of the trailer provides the majority of the benefit.

Many trucks in america are already using aero cones on the trailer, and side skirts between the drive wheels and the trailer wheels. Im curious as to what truck/trailer they compared to for their 30% estimate.

>cameras instead of rear-view mirrors, optimized chassis side-skirt
Well this will never reach the US.