/rlg/ - Roguelike General

FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Webterminal
Rogue Nexus – Cataclysm online with shared map and tons of other roguelikes in a simple online package! (USA Only)
roguenex.us

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/SgMJ7Xwh

Previous Thread

First for chei

2slow my friend

first for chei

first for chei

Take it easy

Threadly reminder that Roguelikes are, in fact, a subgenre of RPGs.

xth for I want to kill myself, whats the fanciest way to do that in a roguelike?

Puffy vulva!

Monsters can also see the player when the player can't see them because of light mechanics.

definitely getting to level 50 as a Samurai in PosChengband and then using their capstone technique to commit ritual suicide and end your game. Up to you if you try to do it after winning or before.

also, monster breaths end in a ball, and the monsters know this, so that matters too

but understanding this asymmetry thing is v. important tactically in diverse situations

Nethack and adom have some obscure ways to kill yourself.

Choking on your own vomit is a classic.

Worst gif ever made in the history of computers

>play vampire convict
>melee the horsemen
>You bite Famine! Unfortunately, any amount of it is fatal.
>You die...

who /making their own roguelike/ here?

First for Cheibriados!

Is it possible to replace the Shoals floor tiles with some other place's tiles?
I really hate how bright they are sometimes

SLEX, slash'em, or plain nethack?

Un or 4 rather than plain.

How do I id any of the stuff I find as a beserker in PCB?

Why those instead of slex/sle? And which of 4 or un?

you have to pay for identification in town, or equip an item that grants auto-id

Either find the stone of lore (if you're playing randarts only, have fun) or drag all your crap to the thieves guild in morivant and pay to identify it.

Start with vanilla so you can see what the variants change.

Slash'em is (an older version) of vanilla with a bunch of things added with little regard for balance. It's basically the PCB of hacks.

Unnethack is slash'em lite.

SLEX is one of those things that you play solely because how bad it is has to be experienced to be understood.

I don't know what 4 is.

in pcb5 you can find auto-id on more than just the stone of lore

notably hats of knowledge and dragon armors with the (lore) ego, although more often they just have auto-pseudo-identify instead

I didn't know where to ID in town, but

Thanks, I guess I will drag my crap there.
Where is stone of lore? Or just random.

random :D

>:D

if you use the look/examine key and move the cursor over the door of a shop in town, you will see the shop name, which is helpful, though only by visiting can you first learn what the shops all do of course

For a while I thought of C:DDA being the "rape children in orphanages" game but I guess that's actually HellMOO.

Mkay

what do you go for ranged attacks as MiBe?

Javelins

either throwing or evo

hmm
are bows/xbows ever worth as secondary weapon? I feel like they are usually shit as a PRIMARY weapon

They're actually really good secondary. Xbows are anyway. You just pew pew pew until they get into range, but you're a little too loud to really take advantage. Stealth xbow is a real build and wrecks pan like no other.

SLEX/SLASH'EM is a bunch of silly crap.
SLASH'EM adds a bunch of stuff, but with reasoning and some sense of balance.
SLEX adds everything stupid you could think of.

Don't start with vanilla like that other user said, NH4 and UnNethack just add a good deal of improvements over vanilla. NH4 has no balance changes compared to 3.4.3 afaik, and is a good starting point since none of the 3.6.0 NH changes are very good aside from the bug fixes (many of which are just ports from NH4) and the scumming changes (which don't matter to a new player).

why is qaz so fucking useless in extended

2 loud

jokes on you
I got 3 runes of hell with FoFi of Qaz then I died in pan

because qaz is a fun god
the gods aren't supposed to be balanced relative to each other; xom is always going to be worse than trog

>xom is always going to be worse than trog
Until he gives you Robust 3, rC+++ amd rF+++

>Nethack

Or extremely bullshit tier deaths, pic related.

That doesn't seem better than BiA desu

>Zot is mostly dragons and draconians
>who are known to be the greediest fantasy creatures in existence
really makes you think

>I don't know what 4 is.

Nethack4 is basically Nethack with some *MINOR* gameplay changes and a better UI.

This picture would be more effective at converying its meaning if the player wasn't burdened like a dumbass.

Considering the master mindflayer was right beside the stairs, I think I was sufficiently screwed either way.

Being burdened was default my fault though.

like ten of you faggots have posted about how you're making your own roguelikes yet you all disappear before the game is finished

>stasis is bloat

why is the royal jelly so fucking ez

What does DFC mean?

They removed -cTele so you can just blink or passage past that

because slime is the hardest branch so having an easy boss fight balanced it out
>-40corr after 3 turns with rCorr

>spells
fag

Blink scroll retard

Sometimes both lungs can be blocked by Zot traps.
This can happen when you are playing an ant.

Deep fried cunny

It's a misspelling of KFC. It's become a meme, much like 'you're waifu', etc.

delicious flat chest

>play FoHu crossbowant
>never find any bolts
>play MfFi shieldpoker
>find SIX (6) stacks of bolts - including steel bolts - as of D:6
Why is this allowed to happen?

Daughterus (are) For Cutes (not for lewds)

crossbows arent a starter weapon

They literally are, unless they got removed.

He means that it isn't a weapon that you want to start out using. Its a secondary that you pick up at a later time.

>tfw can't even get past adders and jackals
What the fuck, how are you supposed to run away if these faggots can chase you down Human Fire Elementalist life is rough

>playing Hu

CONJURE FLAME

i'd rather have the +12 executioner axe of fuck magic {rf++, rc+, rn+, mr+, sinv}

>not playing human
What are you racist, user?

At level 3? Damn. Alright. I'll get it.

>get conjure flame
>don't understand what's the point of it
Is this shit supposed to create a blockage

Would it be OP if berserk never wore off as long as you keep attacking an enemy?

Seems sort of retarded to just randomly stop being mad when you're knee-deep in gore and furiously hacking at a monster that's trying to kill you.

Pfft. Yeah man, you create choke points and ruse enemies into walking on it. Mostly you just cast it, and plink the dudes with flame tongue from safety.

why are you playing Hu though

>Lair:7

berserk is already OP, I'm glad it has at least some downside for non-trog worshipers

>wanting to remove literally the only skill part of playing berserkers: deciding when to berserk, when to fight without berserk, and when to evoke feet
user, you should be ashamed

Berserk is retarded in general.

This is helpful. It doesn't last all that long, but it's good enough.

It was the first on the list, so why not? Also said average at everything, in case I didn't want to mess shit up.

You've already messed up by picking Hu when you don't even know what Conjure Flame does.

but it doesn't make sense

Anyone else getting triggered by elona's control scheme?

Alright, what's the right decision then? Demigod?

FE is easier with characters that can take some hits, flame tongue is unreliable and the best spells work better if you can tank damage for a couple turns. stuff like DEFE is for speedrunners only who don't care about constantly dying pre lair

Never had a problem with it.

Follow your dreams, lad. Hu is a fine choice. They just don't excel at anything.

easiest way to win with FE for beginners: pick troll and drop the book

Deep elf or Draconian. Deep elf for GLASS CANNON FUUUUUCK HP, and Draconian for moderate defensive mage who don't need no armor.

deep elf
go Hu if you want to level up skills non related to magic later or something.

lava orc

No, Minotaur.

if you want some survivability: draconian, gargoyle, hill orc (and use a weapon)

play a dnd barbarian sometime and you'll see where it comes from

even badasses have to take a breather sometimes

My keyboard tenkeyless aka no numberpad, so the numberpad based scheme triggers me to no end. What kind of madman thinks using * as a keybind is a good idea ever?

How 2 balance trog!?