Audi S5: 4.2 vs 3.0

Trying to decide if I want to buy the older 4.2 V8 or wait for the supercharged V6 to drop in price. Here's what I've gathered from various Audi boards:

4.2 V8:

>PROS
- Sounds amazing
- Higher top end
>CONS
- Fuel economy
- Carbon build-up issues
- Increased power is hard to come by

3.0 V6:

>PROS
- Better power down low
- Less weight
- Fuel economy
- Great tuning potential with simple mods
>CONS
- Sounds like a G35

Other urls found in this thread:

jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-v8-audi-s4-is-an-awful-used-car-1676466510
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I also spoke with an Audi mechanic at a party and he says the V8 has more problems. Not sure how accurate this is.

you forgot

>CONS
- Relablity on both
- maintenance
- Literally VW car

Youre paying for a superbly overpriced vw car. And thats no joke. If you know where and how, you can get the exact same parts for up to 5 times less money

It's a V8 Jetta, go find something more interesting

V8 Passat*

Well, let me rephrase the question then. Which one is "less shitty."

Both are terrible. But the V6 is slighty less

Just get an ATS-V.

Not helpful to your situation, but there is an S6 for sale near by and I want it for dat v10

Only thing VAG you should be considering is a Porsche 911 or Cayman

>3.0 V6:
>Great tuning potential with simple mods

This is key. Audi's 3.0 engine can get close to 100 more HP with chip and tune. V8 is too under-powered.

Maybe they've changed, but I've never been too impressed with Cadillac interiors in the past. Will take a look though.

Not really trying to spend more than $30k. Seems like all the Porsche's below that are like 10+ years old.

You can get a Cayman S, and despite being 10 years old it'll be a lot more reliable than an Audi

Lmao! I just searched for Cayman S within 500 miles of me. Out of the six, five had reported accidents. I hate people...

You should be happy a piece of shit Audi sounds anything like a vq engine

As if that's a hard sound to reproduce...

The Audi v6 sounds shitty and not good, the v8 sounds great but that's LOL power for a v8 and it has timing chain issues

Why not get an M, AMG, or a Cayman?

Why wouldn't they just update their V8 instead of going with supercharged six? Gas guzzler tax or something?

I'm guessing they couldn't fix the engine because of a glaring defect and a v6 turbo setup was more reliable in testing.

Audi isn't exactly known for being reliable and a German v8 is more headache than one should handle

friend has a b5 s4 4.2

full exhaust and headers, the thing sounds amazing. One of the best v8 noises I've ever heard.

Besides what will girls think of you when you have to explain that your v6 is fast because of a supercharger while they turn 360 degrees and walk away because you turned them off when you started trying to explain what a super charger does.

V8 or nuthin

to go with this the s4 has over 140,000 with not a single major issue.. And he beats the Christ out of it

S5 is infinitely better looking than either, especially in black

>Cayman
I acknowledge it's a great driver's car, but it's a bit Spartan for my taste.
>AMG
Which year/model would be affordable under $30k? Do they come in manual?
>M
This probably sounds the most appealing to me. M3 or M5 maybe. I'd just worry about Winter driving with it being my only car. More reliable than Audi?

There is no direct amg competitor to the s5, only E500 coupe, which is more powerful anyway. If you want amg c63 it is then.

>while they turn 360 degrees and walk away
>what is math

They're both shit. Shut up and buy a e46, e39, or m coupe.

As a 4.2 s4 owner.... Stay the fuck away the 4.2 is an absolute pita to work on and keep reliable

Can you be more specific like common issues... cost of maintenance etc? Any preventative things people do to keep these motors healthy?

Just look at the engine, the plastic chain guards wear down as fast as a timing belt and the engineers at Audi with their infinite wisdom decided to put the timing belt on the transmission side of the engine
So servicing it would require the engine to be removed, which in turn requires the front half of the car to be taken apart

He doesn't own one.

jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-v8-audi-s4-is-an-awful-used-car-1676466510

>inb4 Jalopshit and Doug DeMuro

>he beats the Christ out of it.

Probably why it does well.

The 4.2 V8 is one of the most hilariously unreliable engines ever made. IMO the timing chain issues aren't worth it especially considering it develops roughly the same power as the 3.0. I own a 3.0 S4 and the worst issue I've come across thus far has been my water pump (broke literally the day after the fucking warranty ran out).

>implying you own a 4.2

as someone who ACTUALLY owns one in an S4, they really are a pain in the ass to work on, but they are very reliable, it'll never leave you stranded.

Common problems with these engines besides the timing chain guides, are the radiator and expansion tank cracking because of brittle plastics, the valve covers' paint peeling off because of the weird material they're made out of (have to take them off and repaint them because audi decided to paint them on the inside aswell and the paint bubbles..), my car recently had a problem leaking oil from the housing that holds the oil filter, which is in the top back of the engine. Intake manifold had to come out in order to replace it, and it was fucking expensive aswell.

The engines are very fragile but they sound great imo, but it's literally cheaper to maintain cars twice as expensive of the same age than this heap.

>they are very reliable
>the engines are very fragile

Well which one is it?

I'm guessing he means "keep up with preventative maintenance because the engine can't take any semblance of neglect".

Sounds like he's just trying to hide the fact that it isn't very reliable

yeah i kinda fucked that up

they are very reliable if you don't beat on them too much, they can't handle it like the 2.7 or 3.0 from the newer s4's.

but unlike the turbo engines, when it goes wrong it's minor stuff, not a complete shitfest.

If you've ever had a bmw you'll feel right at home with one.

After all the pain mine's given me, i still love it.

Cadillac new ATS owners have reported multiple electrical issues with the centre console and also some issues with the turbo.

>very reliable if you don't beat on them too much
You mean... it's unreliable if it's used like the performance-oriented car that it's supposed to be? What's the point in owning one then?

This. CUE is terrible. Glad Cadillac is already killing it off and replacing it with a re-skinned version of the Chevrolet interface. IMO, they look much more upscale without a giant glossy plastic center stack.

>plastic chain guards wear down as fast
>radiator and expansion tank cracking because of brittle plastics

Why in the fuck do so many supposed luxury cars use cheap parts? I've heard about weak plastics on BMW's as well.

Larger profit margins

For what it's worth I've seen 911s start up like it's no big deal after sitting for like 5 years with nothing but a fresh battery
Regarding the IMS problems, it's actually recommended that you drive the cars harder to prevent it

Sorry to hijack OP but how dumb would i be to buy an Audi A4 with an A/T that wont go into Reverse anymore and a sunroof that doesnt work?

My buddy has one that he might get rid of, hes had it for years and always been dealership maintained.
I think its got 160k miles on it

>2016
>still no inline 5 audi s5

Can you shell out a couple grand for a reman transmission?

A car must accept beating like its made for it. Else its not a car and thus relability is simply shit.
Exclusing mods and beating though.

Lol thats all the information i needed.
Maybe if he ever sells it for 500 bucks ill swoop it up

Well... This about sums it up:

>"According to this excellent summary of the problem over on the Audi forums, an Audi dealer charges around eight grand to fix this issue. You want to do it yourself? No problem. The parts alone are three grand."

Why, Audi?!! It could have been so good :-(

Newfag

Double nigger

it isnt a real v8 if its smaller than 5.0l

>it isnt a real engine if its smaller than 5.0l
FTFY

awful dogshit engine the 4.2 is. 3.0 supercharged is rock solid except for shitty water pump but that's minimal.

Source: worked at an audi dealership and drove thousands of cars; seen what was getting serviced the most

This is so sad. That 4.2 is sexy as fuck otherwise.

so a 302 isn't a real v8?

it's 4.9L.

it sounds amazing. Has a flat as hell torque curve. But that's all it's got going for it

dont forget, a huge con of the facelift 3.0T is that it switched over to using electronic steering. zero road feel whatsoever. if you want the 3.0T i'd consider getting a b8 s4 instead.

I like how they come out with this heavy-ass S5 coupe in 2008 and just say
>Ehhhh, fuggit. We'll just throw the same 4.2 V8 in there from 2004. Cuz why make it unique to the car, right? Lego parts!

Well the A5 is pretty much an A4 coupe...

>zero road feel whatsoever
Even worse than before? Every professional review I've looked at for 2008-2012 S5 already bitches about artificial steering feel.

the 4.2 is the exact same engine used in all the other V8 audis like the D2 an D3 A8, the Q7, etc

only thing is that in the S4 and S5 they turned it around so the chains were facing the firewall.

>S4 and S5 they turned it around
So they pretty much fucked their affordable models lol

How much a fuckin sperg are you that you discuss the amount of cylinders in your car to girls, let alone expect them to care.

Exactly. Most girls aren't gonna know the fucking difference. They just pay attention to the heated leather and B&O sound system.

They don't notice shit besides the brand and age. No girl will be impressed that your 2005 Audi is loaded with luxury options or if your 2017 Nissan has a V8. If you're impressing girls with your car then they're the type of girls who just like money period. New + Expensive Brand is what they want, you could have a 3 cylinder in a lamborghini and it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

Yeah, I guess what I was trying to say is they're pretty oblivious to what's under the hood. Most important thing to them is being comfortable, and how the car makes them appear to other people.

yeah, at least the B8s had hydraulic steering. the B8.5s are literally physically 100% disconnected from the road. thats probably the biggest gripe from the facelift models from what ive seen on the forums. that and the sports diffs which are simultaneously a 'must have' and the weakest part on the car (along with the dsg mechatronics units).

I know it's technically a grand tourer, but still... Why the fuck would Audi think this is a good idea for an "S" model car?

Most guys who buy these new are probably 40 yr-old corporate fuckheads who get it so they can look presentable pulling up to the golf course.

its not just audi, everyones doing this shit. they do it cause they think itll sell more cars. i mean, theyre probably right. it is a performance luxury sedan afterall. if someone really wants to 'feel the road' i assume theyre probably going to be drawn more towards a wrx or something.

do you see the kind of people behind the wheel of new S model cars? theyre not enthusiasts owning them as weekend cars. theyre 30-somethings using them to commute to their high-powered jobs. they dont care about 'feeling the road'. they just want to look successful and an S4 to them is just a manly version of an A4. the few i see at the track are always owned by cool dudes but theyre very few and far between.

OP here. So I'm kinda thinking 2010-2011 S4 now. Opinions?

Actually i do own one you cuck. Im convinced you dont do your own work on it or daddy pays your bills. Ive gone through 2 sets of motormount at the track, steering rack twice. The oem snub mout is a joke (littary a sponge on the front). The chain tensonors like to bore out their central monting hole. The front suspension upper brackets are brittle and crack easly, main seals always go within 2 years of changing them, valve cover gaskets and orings fail causing oil to leak and kill the coil packs. Oem rear diff mount is a sloopy fit, oem transmission mount is too sloopy for its own good causing the flywheel and clutch failures. Rear endlinks can be broken on a givin track day. Pcv pancake valve cant handle bellow-30°c temps and tears allowing oil to pool in the mani. The mani needs constant retorques after somany heat cycles due to it expands at a different rate than the block....the list goes on and parts are expensive as many critical components come from 2 oe companys that have a monoply on the makret (steering rack is over 4k)

That neighbourhood looks way too familiar...

Where do you live if you don't mind me asking?

I was reading one of the comments on that Jalopnik article. Dude said he swapped the motor mounts for more durable aftermarket and it had a huge positive change to the car.

Ya thats what i ended up doing, went to a set of solid rubbers from 034 along with their urathane snubmount, trans mount and the billit alum rear diff + a little personal mod to its mounting bolt (factory bolt is just ! Mild steel m12 and i went up to a 10.9 grade with a bushing to snug up a bit of slop in the mount

Those cookie cutter housing developments off the 410 in brampton, moved here from sudbury earlier this year

Holy shiet I knew that had to be Brampton, that's near my old place and highschool.

Do you hate the city yet?

You should consider coming to the Veeky Forumsntario meets. Keep any eye out for the threads if you're interested

Or join the Whatsfapp group for on the go autism

Ya first month i moved here, i actually now do all my car stuff back at my dad's gerage in sudbury (now that the neighborhood knows i have tools and equipment they keep lurking around when im outside asking to borrow stuff ((tfw saw a guy hammering the piss out of somthiing with a rachet and it blew apart only to them have him come across the street asking to use my rachets then got angry cause i would only give him a 16oz princess auto hammer...lulz). The only reason i moved was for the gf and a new job i got with moventas in Cambridge (traveling windturbine gearbox matience/inspections). Wtf is with the drivers/ those god forsaken i swear 2ft high speed bumps here in brampladesh?

There's a reason why Brampton has the highest insurance rates in the country

If you want to wrench with people there's some Veeky Forumstists in that area would would probably be down to help out

I do see them but im a bit of an introvert/im either out on field service (actually currently up a tower in gaspe que) or the car needs work (replaced all my control arms, struts,springs, and cup kits last spring only to hit one pothole and fuck up the front driver side assembly (after the hole the strut started spinning in its upperbracket and began honing its own road to freedom. Image unrelated but trying to look for broken shit in this box

Ya main thing i would need to is get a hold of some one who has a hoist (and lets me do my own work, ive gotten the shit end of the stick too many times when i let a shop do work on it with the dealership(s) being the biggest butchers (they have a habbit of never torquing the front sub frame propperly and leaving them loose..ive been doing everything with jack stands and cutting tools just to work in the tight space, but i know in due time the motor is going to need to come out for a rebuild or swap. Also you wouldn't happen to know who is a o/ friendly paint shop (rear hatch and wheel wells are pealing from the body and i just want to have the whole exterior done with a more durable mix than the factory paint is known for (still want to keep it noargo of course)

No clue about paint shops in the area, sorry bud

implying owning a Porsche older than 10 years is a problem.

I just don't want to own a car that old in general. It's not a "Porsche thing."

Bump. What does Veeky Forums think of this? Better than 3.0 S5?

I get you. Though, consider that the 997 is soon to be 10 years old. Certain cars are timeless.

Theres are reason the 4.2 was sold for like 15 years. Around the time when the S5 came out there were major changes to the block and what not.

>major changes to the block
Did they address any of the previous issues with it? Or same problems for the S5?

Not to rain on your parade, but you're one of those fucktards who is concerned about fuel economy on a "sports car".

Dude, you're buying a S5... not an A5. Its a SPORT version of the base model and heck, what does that mean? Get the fucking V8. If that is too much for you, then cut your balls off and get the A5. If I sound like an asshole, don't blame me. Blame yourself for being a pussy because >muh fuel economy >carbon build up >increasted power is hard to come by

Don't be those retards who would buy a i4 Porsche. Either get the best or don't get it at all.

Overreaction much? Fuel economy is definitely something worth considering when the 3.0 V6 matches the V8's performance. Literally the only advantage the 4.2 has is it sounds cool.

Bend your dick backwards and fuck your own asshole, faggot.

>Get the fucking V8. If that is too much for you, then cut your balls off and get the A5
>pretending like the V6 is some mid-tier trim level between the 4.2 and 2.0...
k.

> getting an audi

lel

You should save some money and just tattoo cuck in your forehead.

>implying I'm OP

Just as bad even participating in a discussion about overpriced VWs. Cars for retards and brandwhores.