Can anime be considered as a form of art?

Can anime be considered as a form of art?

Will it go down in history as art?

I see a lot of ressemblances between the drawing style, cultural impact and methodology of anime and the older Japanese paint pannels.

Also, why has Japanese art evolved differently from European? The depiction of a human in a Japanese painting is usually like a caricature, meanwhile in the Renaissance it was much more accurate.

Other urls found in this thread:

oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/art
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes of course it is.

Anime is the greatest thing that mankind has ever invented.

Fuck off weeb. Kill yourself.

This is more /a/ material but yes, anime is the highest form of art.

>Can anime be considered as a form of art?
Art, in the most literal sense is an expression of human creativity, so under that definition nearly anything could be considered art

>Will it go down in history as art?
Which Anime? Are we talking about Naruto/One Piece or Grave of the fireflies/Akira?

>I see a lot of ressemblances between the drawing style, cultural impact and methodology of anime and the older Japanese paint pannels
Well, yeah. They had to have some source for inspiration

>Also, why has Japanese art evolved differently from European?
Because they are, altogether, a vastly different culture from the west

>The depiction of a human in a Japanese painting is usually like a caricature, meanwhile in the Renaissance it was much more accurate.
>Much more Accurate
Not necessarily. European art frequently sought to portray the person/people in question as idealistically beautiful as possible.

Hell, Leonardo's Vitruvian Man is an exhibit on how the Ideal human male's limbs and body should be proportioned

>Art, in the most literal sense is an expression of human creativity, so under that definition nearly anything could be considered art
This is a foolish thing to say, and only a continental philosopher would argue such alacricity. It clearly is escapistic to the common sense. It is so absurd that it considers contemporany art as art.
Art by the definition of the philosophers of the Enlightment can only be seen as painting, sculpture, literature, etc.
Naturally, animation should not be considered art.
You'll need to be a little more objective with your definitions otherwise you'll fall for subjectiveness and a lack of clarity.

Certainly not as art by itself but rather as a cultural phenomenon, much like erotic puppet plays in the Edo period.
We're trying to have a discussion here, if you don't like it you can post on /pol/ how you hate degeneracy. Stormweenies like you are ruining the board.

>This is a foolish thing to say, and only a continental philosopher would argue such alacricity.

Well, continental philosophers and the English dictionary.

oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/art

Films, TV, pop songs, cartoons, comics etc are all art.

You just don't think anime is good art, which is of course an entirely subjective personal opinion rather than an objective claim.

Sculpture

a n i m e

Hi, is this the sea of information they call the Internet?

>This is a foolish thing to say, and only a continental philosopher would argue such alacricity. It clearly is escapistic to the common sense. It is so absurd that it considers contemporany art as art.
>Art by the definition of the philosophers of the Enlightment can only be seen as painting, sculpture, literature, etc.
Well, I never said that it was 'High' art nor do I generally consider it to be.

>Naturally, animation should not be considered art
Why not? Plainly there are different tiers of art. I admire Graffiti as art but I don't hold in the same regards as Michelangelo. Shit, even arguing Mainstream Film to be High(er) art is a thorny subject

>You'll need to be a little more objective with your definitions otherwise you'll fall for subjectiveness and a lack of clarity.
Art is a very vague topic so I have no objections to giving such a vague. If the OP had asked if Anime is 'high' art worthy of being compared to David than I would have said 'Hell no'

I firmly believe that in a few thousand years, anime will be seen as some kind of strange polytheistic religion that worshiped cute girls

>forgot pic

By then anime will be real.

no

One can only hope.

Ultimately art is a result of feelings and intrusive value rather than the denomination of logically conclusive observations and therefore it is up to the realm of psychology and religion to atentuively explain the processes which result in intristic value and devalue of works that should be or should not be considered art, ergo, drawing an objective definition upon something as subjective as art - which is inherently derivded from feelings - is impossible.
This does not only apply to anime but also to anything, as thoroughly put it.

IT'S THE FUTURE ZURA

MIRAI ZJURA!!!

Autism

What?

It's obviously art. Anyone arguing against that is a retard. Whether it's good or not is an entirely different question.

Animation student here, it (animation) is a medium just like any other, and anime is just a very homogeneous subset of that medium. The thing is, though, that it's almost never produced "as art." It's made to appeal to an audience who will be inclined to watch it not because of any artistic value it has as opposed to just the fact that it's anime. It's a niche thing, and an intentionally niche thing is prone to be more bound by its audience's expectations than any overwhelming artistry. Not even getting into the business/corporate facet of it.

The best analogy I can think of would be comparing anime to those cheapo paperback western novels you see in book stores. Could it possibly have some artistic merit to it? Definitely. Do people read them because they're breathtakingly deep and artistic? No, people read them because they like western novels.

Anime has been accepted as art by the mainstream since forever.

Weeabooism is a type of Japonism isn't it?

Araki's style and illustrations are so good that the French have exhibited some of his stuff in at the Louvre iirc. Also Ghucci had him design some outfits.

Anime can never be real.

[spoiler]Prove me wrong pls.[/spoiler]

There are a few Loony Tunes archived in the Library of Congress, so anime might one day be able to make it.

It's ultimately as real as anything else. Since what exists around us is only a product of our minds (the universe has no awareness of any distinction between any other thing, what exists to it are fundamental particles and nothing else) and you ultimately are just an idealist construct.

>american cartoons leads to japanese cartoons called "animeus"
>"animeus" begins turning male youth into eunuch femboys and trannies
>population declines rapidly
>cis males become a commodity rarer than natural alexandrite
>straight couple families become the 1% in America
>"do not look directly at them Jebedusi, lest we end up following their ways"
>"d-dad, I'm... a grill"
Yes, I think we will remember anime for quite some time.

My brother teaches aspie kids, he reckons the majority of them love anime.
Interesting.

Also I forgot to say aspie kids also breath oxygen that says a lot doesnt it

Anyways, it's manga that aspies and autists are typically drawn towards

>Certainly not as art by itself
Re-tard.

Actually kill yourself. They are literal drawings. By definition it is art. It's the most commercial form of art, to not call it art is simply retarded.

>inb4 subjective values clouding objective judgement.

>.gifs
>oversaturated choppy tumblr gifs at that
please

>complaining about quality.
THAT'S a weeb.

Makes his own webms and all.

>caring about image quality=weeaboism
come on famalamadingdong.

>come on famalamadingdong.
I spent years on /a/, /a/migo. I know how it works.

Nice webms though. I make /tv/ related ones.

I'm more of an /m/ person myself

What settings do you use? Been a while since ive made any webms.

Ancient chinese secret

Dam ya.

;^)

Saved that one, good scene.

Any other EVA ones? Even rebuild since they look nice.

No more Evanjellyun webms

How about some vintage Bubblegum Crisis?

Are you meant to cock then holster your gun?

Puts a round in the chamber ready to fire.

Cocked and locked baby.