Yuro-Centeric His-Story

What's the deal with academia teaching only about Europe? I mean, I know Africa and Australia are lost causes, but the chinkos were a massive population with an immense history that just barely scratches the surface when it's taught in general education. China? Persia? India? These were huge civilizations.

I mean, I know more about conditions in Medieval London, or the politics of the assassination of Juilus Caesar than about the entire history of orientals. All I know is the romanticized three kingdom period and what's in pop culture like Dynasty Warriors and Kung Fu movies.

Is anything being done to address this collective ignorance in academia?

Also, can someone give a straight run-down of the eastern half of the world.

Other urls found in this thread:

unesco.org/new/en/social-and-human-sciences/themes/general-history-of-africa/volumes/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

because most academics are european/american retard. people naturally have a greater focus on what is close to them

>I've never tried to learn about Asian history, why do I know so little about it, Veeky Forums?
Literally fuck off retard

Well where did you go to school? I bet it wasn't in China

because I assume you live in fucking Europe or one of its colonies

go to Asia if you want in depth Asian history taught by experts, or take it in Uni.

The, "chinkos" are pretty well studied.

I own about 140 books on the topic of medieval Africa, I don't have any on medieval Europe. This is because medieval Africa was the focus of my studies and I, personally, never studied medieval Europe.

What you learn is up to the individual, I highly doubt you've studied history in an academic context anyway.

What a productive thread.

Can you recommend any good books on subsaharan Africa pre-colonization?

Fuck off, op

You made a shitty thread so you got shitty replies

I did my Abitur in a northern german school and our history classes were simplified like this:

french revolution
1. ww
weimarer republic
2. ww ( Erinnerungskultur and shit like that)
berlin wall
plus the colonization of the americas

Is it true that americans can pretty much choose what classes they want to do in highschools? I sometimes heard you have classes like world history and so on

>live in Europe, USA, Canada, 'Straya, or New Zealand
>the vast majority of history involving your country is based around the interactions of Europeans
>wonder why you don't learn much about the histories of groups that had absolutely nothing to do with your language, culture, or land until at most 50 years ago
lol

There are some classes we have to take, but there's often Advanced (For smarter kids), AP (Advanced Placement, for the really smarter kids), and various African-American level classes. I'll focus on history.

So, depending on your school, you could take "History 101", a two semester class where you spend one semester covering Ancient Greece/Rome to the founding of the US, then another semester learning about the history of the US.

Or you could take Advanced, and learn more about those periods, but with that same "First everything up to us, then about us" system. Or you could take AP, where you'd spend 4 semesters covering a lot but get college credit for it. My High School had AP World History, which spent a semester on Rome and the Medieval period, spent an entire semester on English history up to the American Revolution, then spent an entire year on American related topics.

The Black classes were a year of teachers vainly trying to get the class to pay attention to a bare bones run down of the US Civil War and MLK.

But, every school varies slightly.

Depends on the school and the context. I could have taken either AP American History or AP European History, but American was the only one that fit in the schedule with the courses I was required to take. I didn't have anything like "World History" or "Asian History" as an option in High School, but I imagine someone out there did.

When you live in a western country you are going to learn western history. High Schools just teach the basics and it's more important for a westerner not interested in history to know about western history.

If you are interested in a subject and want to make it part of your life or learn it as a hobby you will always have to look deeper into it than what a High School teaches.

I'd love to hear more about this yuri-centric history.

>What's the deal with academia teaching only about Europe?
Europe and the western world have had the biggest overall impact on the world and thus get taught. Also we live in the west so of course we'll teach our own history over other areas. Nobody gets pissy about other areas giving emphasis to their own history over other regions or Europe or whatever.

The "EUROCENTRISM" shit is mainly just an example of the anti-west strain of thought that's all over the modern left and thus academia.

Because you live in a European country/former colony. Fucking idiot

>dude, every single aspect of our lives must be utterly saturated with fighting racism and making ethnic minorities feel comfortable lmao
how about we study things in terms of relevance, if you want to study the industrial revolution you look at science and technology, if the inventor was an arab chemist or a dead white male, who cares, just mention their name and background in a footnote and move onto the important parts

Not him, but have fun

unesco.org/new/en/social-and-human-sciences/themes/general-history-of-africa/volumes/

Academia, spoon feeding the non curious. Because you have to study it by yourself no teacher is going to hold you cock through it

>The "EUROCENTRISM" shit is mainly just an example of the anti-west strain of thought that's all over the modern left and thus academia.
Not at all. I have studied a couple of history courses with an anti-Eurocentric bent, and all that meant was that events in and development of Europe were analysed in a global context and within the trade systems it occupied.