Veeky Forums are throttle body spacers just a meme? I got one from a "mechanic" friend who claims it adds like 10bhp

Veeky Forums are throttle body spacers just a meme? I got one from a "mechanic" friend who claims it adds like 10bhp

just a meme
the only spacers that MIGHT work (just might, depending on the engine) are intake runners spacers
think porting and polishing the intake and divide the benefits by 10

what the fuck lol, they're just adapters, the only time anything with '"spacers"is used is with plenum spacers.

If you get a 80mm adapter and port match the intake manifold now you're going to see gains if the runners are wide enough to accommodate the amount of air... there's a lot of variables.

porting isn't the same as shaping or cleaning flashings.

and a lot of older engines get a lot of gains from port shaping and combustion chamber shaping.

it does literally nothing.

You should get a CIA instead, those things can easilh add 10hp.

You should get an electric supercharger

kek I remember seeing these in the early 00s. forgot they excited.

every dipshit with a Z71 back home claimed to have one of these

no one could tell me how it would actually do any good

>get a CIA instead

Don't these just restrict the intake and do literally nothing else?

They do if they have nitrous injectors attached to them

>his car doesn't come stock with a CAI

The spacers are there to allow vacuum line hookups. I dont know what the fuck the point is for them without it.

most new tarbo cars have like 1 vacuum line. I you want to hook up a real boost gauge, or a boost controller, or anything else, you have one tiny line to deal with.
install a spacer that has its own ports, and bam. as many vacuum lines as you want.

my friend just started making some, already sold 30.

They're also a drain on the electrics

spacers are somewhat useful on older carbureted motors since increasing the distance between the carb and the inlet port would give the fuel more time to vaporize/ atomize which would give you a better burn, that doesn't do anything for port injected or direct injected cars though since the fuel is added way after the spacer is placed. to affect the atomization of fuel in these cars swirlers would need to be placed in the port, in the cylinder, or on the back of the valves which companies have done and still do to varying degrees.

something a bit like that could act like a flow conditioner
that said those particular ones wouldn't, unless by pure fluke

Runner length really only effects where the the power comes on too, you don't really gain anything.

>you dont gain anything
you gain torque in the area where you want it.

He's saying there is no net gain, basically if you use long runners you'll add torque down low but lose it up top and vice versa

you dont gain horsepower or torque, you simply move it to a different RPM range.

Probably not 10 bhp, but I have seen dyno runs after a tbs and img install that showed gains across the 90% of the rpm range. They actually do work, but probably nothing your butt dyno is going to pick up. Horsepower/dollar they're probably on par with a catback exhaust