Considering becoming a Sales person at a dealership

Any dealerfags want to exchange stories?

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1tUtndtrSJQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

-Have you ever worked sales before?

-Have you worked/had to support yourself on a commission based job before?

-Yes
-Yes
I'm doing cold calling right now.

I used to work at a chrysler dealer. Here's some of my faves.

>Show up to work one Friday
>Fucking everyone has doughnuts
>Everyone is a dick so clearly no one just brought them
>Ask about doughnuts
>Turns out a guy bought a Viper and didn't tell his wife
>So we let him park the viper in the back of our lot over night
>He can drive home in is corolla at night, and then to work in the viper everyday
>So now he just brings us doughnuts

>Work at Chrysler dealer when recession happened
>In weeks leading up to crash kid comes everyday to look at wrangler
>Only offers number we refuse to take
>We eventually tell him to fuck off
>The crash happens
>Fucking no one is buying anything
>My boss tells me to call "wrangler guy"
>Call him
>He rides his goddamn mountain bike to the showroom 10 minutes later
>Laughing like the fucking Joker
>Rapes out of a Wrangler
>Throws bike in Jeep and drives away

That was the last car I ever sold.

>Rapes out of a Wrangler
Should be
>Rapes us out of a Wrangler

I could totally imagine a guy buying a viper doing that. Cheap parking.

Had a guy trade in a Viper to us, was actually extremely cool. Was the football team doctor for a local university, super chill guy

>Ferd dealer back in early 00s
>We're a big one so we get 2 GTs
>They come off the truck and everyone nuts
>Shop guys get em ready for sale
>We are gonna drive one out to put on the lot on a Saturday to draw a crowd
>Salesman jumps in bragging about what a pro he is
>Literally says "Yeah I qualified for Formula 3"
>Revs it like a dick and takes off
>Crashes into light pole
>Fired instantly as we all laugh

He actually started crying.

It's...not for everyone, hence why the burnout rate/turnover rate is very high at most places. A LOT of it will come down to the dealership-(and where the dealership is located)-you get a job at, as the practice/culture/attitude can be drastically different from one to the next

I did it part time while I was finishing my masters, and it was actually pretty great, but I lucked out in being at a good dealership with lots of traffic and decent management staff

Amazing

die in your sleep, asshole

why so salty?

Op here, I've dealt with high turnover jobs, (like cold calling) and stuck with them for way too long. So I'm fairly certain that I can deal with it. If I start getting down I'll just go full autist mode and remember that i am surrounded by cool cars.

Lol, someone doesn't like tripfags.

nah

If you've dealt with high turnover jobs before, then the environment won't be anything new for you. Have you looked at any dealerships specifically?

Thats not a good plan man, your number wont be good. Quota carrying sales jobs are different than cold calling, I've done both. The cars almost don't matter, the only thing that being a car person gets you is that you wont find reading the dossiers painful.

90% of the job has very little to do with the car.

>not even 50 seconds pass and the LPGDF appears

Local Ferds and Chevys, both are family businesses. Another is a used car place where the owner is always out racing cars.

First thing, does have a point. Liking/knowing about cars really doesn't help you much in car sales.

Success with car sales is all about being able to read people, and know who and where to divert your time. At our dealership, the average salesperson has a close rate of 10%. I really good salesperson might close at 15%. That means for every 100 customers you deal with, you are only going to sell a car to 10-15 of them. The key to success is figuring out, out of that batch of 100, who the 10-15 are.

Having a strong small talk game is a must. You have to be able to comfortably talk to all types of people (from rich white guy to poor as fuck ghetto black dude) and bullshit about whatever topic/job/hobby you find out about your customer.

Time is your biggest resource, and success flows from figuring out which customers are going to be worth yours (making follow up calls, coming in on days off, taking extra time to eyeball inventory every day for the car they want)

Outside figuring out which customers to pursue or not, the next biggest obstacle will be the financing side of it. You are going to have tons of people who WANT to buy a car, but that won't be able to because they have shit credit, are 10 grand upside down in a trade, have 3 repo's in a year, or some other god forsaken reason. Again, you have to try an read the situation, to see if someone is going to be a dead end (granted you DO get surprised from time to time)

Large volume dealerships like Ford and Chevy can be good because it usually means you have a steady stream of customers, but an all used place (which is where I worked) can sometimes be a better investment of your time, because you can stand to make more money. Again, a lot of depends on the location and attitude

I've also done face to face stuff. Was selling computers. So I get the whole small talk thing. Left because bossman didn't want to give me hours.

Of course I will have to learn, so i'm willing to improve myself.

The biggest thing you have to adjust to with car sales (that throws new people) is that the vast majority of your customers are going to finance. They are either shopping for an approval, or shopping for a payment.

Plenty would just assume drive a washing machine with 4 wheels so long as they can get approved and get a payment under 400 a month.

If you aren't in a position where having to quit 3-4 months in would ruin you, try it man, worst that can happen is that you hate it.

I can't wait for the owner of the business to hand it to you, so you can not give a shit about the 85% you'll never sell a car to, and then pull some creepy Veeky Forums autism shit on them with no fear of losing your job.

>U MEEN I CAN GET DISSA CAH FO FAH HUNNA
>Uh sure oh shit look a lambo!
>point to fake car on a pole
>they turn back around
>you're already inside
>give them the nicest greeting you can like they haven't been here before
>FUK U ALL I WANTED WAS AH CAH
>turn around and start yelling, "100! 200! 300! 400! 500! 600! 700!" etc

Yeah, Gonna have to remember that I'm going to be selling to the lowest common denominator. I find it funny that these people would even be looking at new cars.

If you have shit credit/are miles underwater on your trade-in, it's actually easier to get financed on a new car vs a used one.

I already have a couple of 10/10 stories in mind to post here when I finally do quit

I sold Mobile Homes in the deep south for around two years after I got out of college. In fact, I quit last week (moving cross country).

It's not like selling cars at all, except that the customers THINK it is, so they BEHAVE like car buyers until you lock them down and qualify them.

I have such sights to show you, and such stories to tell.

Close rate was 27%. Made good dosh.

I hate trade ins, I did a grand total of 1 trade-in deal in my entire time.

There's one particular manufacturer who absolutely rapes people on the home prices, so whenever someone walked through the door and grumbled "trade in from ______ Mortgage" we knew it was all over.

People would violently ree at you when they wanted a house payment lower than their car payment and were $20,000 + underwater on a shitty singlewide.

>trading in trailers
Hadn't even thought about that. God that HAS to be a nightmare. What was the commission structure like with home sales? And what' the markup/profit margin like?

It is an absolute nightmare. Please do not trigger me. 9/10 the people who insisted on trade ins were mega mongoloids and I didn't suffer fools.

Comission structure is different depending on the company.

For my company, we received a sliding percentage based on the amount of gross profit total for houses put out that month.

Gross profit is any dollar above break even.

10% under a certain amount then 20% and then 30% from a certain point of combined gross profit to infinity.

You'll receive bonuses for certain milestones and achievements, volume bonuses, yadda yadda yadda.

My 5th month on the job I got paid $9,000 and I nearly shit myself. In fact I ran through the office screaming "Witness Me".

Singlewide? Average GP was around 3-6

Double 7-12k

Triple Wide 15+

If the GP falls under a certain point you'll get a flat comission (spiff).(This will happen due to deal errors or just cutting someone a mega deal to take an absolutely shitty house).

Then again, your mileage varies. I know of an independant dealer here in town who's "TOP SALES STUD :DDDDD" only made 35,000 last year.

vocaroo.com/i/s1tUtndtrSJQ
THESE FUCKING SHITHEADS HAVE BEEN GOING AT IT FOR AN HOUR NOW.

Every time my truck goes in the shop, I have to listen to the most ignorant motherfuckers try to educate each other, louder and louder.