Who is your favorite English monarch?

Who is your favorite English monarch?

I like Henry II because his reforms led to a sort of twelfth century renaissance in England.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QSe3lE0xkOU
youtube.com/watch?v=Gzq3kCGaihg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

William Rufus because he was a dashing alpha male who made no secret of making sex with mens. They killed him which is sad.

There is only one great English monarch.

>Henri Plantagenêt
>born in Le Mans, France
>died in Chinon, France
>husband of Aliénor d'Aquitaine
>son of Geoffroy, comte d'Anjou, du Maine, et duc de Normandie
>English

>Pre-Nation State dynastic monarchies.
>"""""English"""""""
>"""""French""""""

LONG LIVE THE TRUE KING JAMES II

Tandem triumphans, brother

Sé mo laoch mo Ghile Mear
‘Sé mo Shaesar, Ghile Mear,
Suan ná séan ní bhfuaireas féin
Ó chuaigh i gcéin mo Ghile Mear.
;_;

I've always been fascinated by Henry VIII for whatever reason.

lot of similarities to g.w. bush desu

Perkin warbeck was the true king

Edward I

he was breddy badass

Did you know that England elected kings before the Norman Conquest?

I know she's a bit of a meme but Elizabeth I is still pretty impressive.

King Richard I the Lionheart!

King Louis

That's right user, countries didn't exist before the French Revolution.

Henry V

How can anyone possibly like John?

Nice dubs and great taste in Anglo-Saxon royalty, my nigga.

There are no englisc kings after 1066, theyre are normans, french and what not, not anglosaxons.

Edward the Great, his son and grandson. Check out the battle of brunanburh (spl), everybody ganged up on the english and they still won.

anglo-saxons aren't native britons either, they're germanic and norther eurpean immigrants who invaded. we don't know much about the kings before them because they hadn't invented writen language.

Alfred the Great

Its got to be harold godwine
Trys his hardest for a bloodless succession
Richest earl in the land
Saxon althing votes him king
Btfo former byzantine mercenary, disposed king & rich fag hardrada
Almost won against the normans if the ranks hadn't broken
Most of his male family died on the battlefield & all of his hauscarls
Didn't ask for any support from non saxons

Whatt does tat have to do wih anything? Anglosaxons invade britain and later carved kingdoms, which later merged into england. What does native have to do with it? The last english king was harold, thats all.

You are sure it wasn't the kings before the Romans that lacked a written alphabet?

Retard, the ones before 1066 were Saxon and Danish. So in fact no recorded kings were truly English according to your idiotic logic.

There were a few danish kings like Sweyn and his son Cnut the Great, but the rest were, like you said, saxons, aka english.

>no recorded kings were truly English
exactly

So English people don't exist anymore?

nope. wrip in peace.

2 dumbasses

ok fine there have been TWO english kangs, but only

Æthelstan.
tthe first king of the English a towering figure in the landscape of the tenth century, he was a statesman of international standing who insisted upon respect for the law.
>"no one more just or more learned ever governed the kingdom"

Fucking this. He is criminally underknown here in his home country. The only time I have heard his name being mentioned, despite being the first king of England, is the name of a road next to a dump a few miles from me.

>He is criminally underknown here in his home country

It's the way history is taught, we're not taught it in one narrative of british history, but it different jumps around the times and the world.

For my GCSE, I spent one topic on Crime and Punishment in the UK (which covered Anglo-Saxon shit which was cool) and then we jumped to post WW1 Germany and the Rise of Nazism (the Weimar shit was interesting but our teacher was shit and made us watch this film which made hitler out to be a socially spastic loony with extreme autism) then we jumped to Prohibition America. It was good for variety, but nobody in my class could tell you anything about where the Anglo-Saxons came from or who Alfred the Great was.

>Charle
>motherfuckin
>Magne

never knew he was English

Speed, bonnie boat, like a bird on the wing
'Onward!' the sailors cry

Carry the lad who's born to be King
Over the sea to Skye ;_;

Henry II for me as well. He was one of the great men of history, like Caesar or Alexander. He was simply held back by the feudal system of his time.

The Empire he created, given the fragmentary and divided nature of western Europe at the time, is such an achievement, it was held together by him alone. It is very impressive within the context of the 12th century.

youtu.be/QSe3lE0xkOU

He was actually serbian

never knew Serbians were black

Harold II

Arwald.

never knew blacks were macedonian

>tfw if he didn't fall for the fake retreat he would have won

>battle after a forced march from Yorkshire where they also fought
>still about to win
How shit were the normans really?

An actual Englishman, and the only actual Anglo-Saxon to be known as 'the Great'

thx

To be English is to be Anglo-Saxon. We didn't say king of the Britons.

I would've gladly been a housecarl in his shield wall ;_;

Cnut says hello ;^D

He was a Norseman.

And a literal Norse Empire that Veeky Forums willfully ignores on their anti-Viking charade.

Cnut was a good Christian, not a Viking.

He was a Christian, but also a Norseman.

But not a Viking.

When one considers what to go Viking was, it fits fine.
Traveling overseas to gain fame and fortune is exactly what he did.

Christian Vikings eh? Wait till /pol/ hears about this one!

>England
>Angle-Land
>Anglo-Saxons only account for 1/3 to 1/2 of our heritage
>Implying the English are English

He wasn't monarch of England, only king of Wessex.

>all these """"english"""" kings

Aethelstan is my nigga

The label great is usually given to lackeys of the church

Once more into the breech!

So the colonists were Vikings?

Richard III because I read a very nice novel about him.
I don't really have a historical reason to like or dislike english kings otherwise.

>tfw after harold was killed by an arrow and his army fled his housecarls protected his body and made a last stand before being wiped out

I don't really have any favorites but John Lackland kind of got stuck in my head, since i remember he put foundations to modern England with his Magna Carta and Royal fleet.

So educate me: Was he a shit ruler or good ruler?

What is it about medieval and ancient leaders that inspire this kind of loyalty? Even Napoleon's guard, which was extremely loyal, still ran away at Waterloo. You definitely wouldn't see this shit in modern times desu

Lack of education, so they had no issues putting all their faith into the ruler

There's a difference between putting your faith into a leader to lead you out of a bad situation, and dying to protect his lifeless body

What? Self-interest and idiocy?

It is idiocy, but loyalty to the end nevertheless

Back then people cared about dying an "honourable death"

John Lackland was one of the worst kings, he was forced to accept the magna carta then chimped out which nearly caused England to be conquered by France if it wasn't for the greatest knight in history (William Marshal)

OP asked for English monarchs and Alfred was certainly that.

>He was also the first King of the West Saxons to style himself "King of the Anglo-Saxons".

I thought he meant monarchs of the Kingdom of England.

What you style yourself isn't exactly the whole story

>Kaiser of Rum

Henry VII In my understanding essentially created the modern civil servant and in a way could be seen as responsible for the middle class existing

no reason why there cant be

the Vinland ones were

What you styled yourself did matter actually because other kings wouldn't allow you to claim authority over them.

In Alfred's case, all the other English kings had been defeated by Gurthrum so when Alfred defeated Guthrum he had every right to claim to be "King of the Anglo-Saxons" because there were no other ones in power.

However, you are correct in the sense that "England" as a single political entity did not yet exist however Alfred was legitimately king of the English people.

Edward the 4th because he won a bunch of battles and got vengeance for his father and brother

They were friends.

They would have trained together, lived together, eat together. A grunt these days might meet his general a couple of times in an actual war

you dont have to be King of England to be an english king, you know that right? what do you think the anglosaxon kingdoms were? English kingdoms.

related. tfw
youtube.com/watch?v=Gzq3kCGaihg

>, like you said, saxons, aka english.

Saxons weren't English, hence the term 'Saxon' as in from Saxony, Germany

He was a personal bad ass with a the qualifications to rule a medieval kingdom on and off the battlefield. Bit of a lecher, but hey...

Nice semantics, faggot

Anglo-saxons literally gave the land the name England, they're literally THE English

Hell yeah, Demon on the field and even got kicked out of his own kingdom and just rolled back in later.

are you completely illiterate in the Germanic Migration period?

Well angles did

Engla Land

Angles, saxons and jutes were literally cousin tribes that all lived next to each other and spoke low germanic languages close enough to each other that they could probably hold conversations with no problem and after the migration the distinctions between them disappeared entirely

Calling anglos saxons is a convention and you're being deliberately obtuse

it was still Anglecynn or Engla Land

He spent his entire reign cleaning up his brother Richard's mess.

Henry VII single-handedly dragged England into the modern era and laid the foundation for the entire British Empire. There would be no America, Canada, or Australia without him.

Should have been a Plantagenet restoration during the reign of Henry VIII tbqh. With a few exceptions (Elizabeth I being one of them) its been almost entirely shit since.

The collective Cromwells did far more to modernise England than he ever did m8.