I'm looking to get a small 4x4 to take offroad. I'm not really looking for a daily driver...

I'm looking to get a small 4x4 to take offroad. I'm not really looking for a daily driver, but I'd like it to be at least somewhat comfortable.
I mainly want to just take it mudding or to the beach. Not really interested in the more difficult stuff for it like rock crawling, at least not right now.
I'm looking at a few different things, which one would be my best bet?
Wrangler YJ - jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/5612360092.html
Cherokee - ocala.craigslist.org/cto/5618469520.html
Geo Tracker 4WD - jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/5597574304.html
Hilux - jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/5615123560.html
Tacoma -jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/5618409760.html
XTerra - jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/5616011871.html
Isuzu Amigo - jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/5616636575.html

I'm mostly leaning towards the Tracker, Amigo, or the Wrangler, since I like that kind of body style. I also like an SUV over a truck since I can hold more people if I want to go with friends or drive it in the city.

Thoughts?

The yj will be the easiest for modding and finding parts

The amigo and geo tracker will be by far more fun and you'll be able to hit trails and shit in them you can't in basically any other because of the very short wheel base and narrow width

Kia Sportage. Will beat yj.

Damn I never realized that the first generation wasn't just a mall crawler. I'll take a look to see if there are any 4WD/Manual 1st gens in my area.

I was trolling but sometimes good things happen. Good luck

Or here. I'm not trolling anymore. If you like the Kia why not look at a 2002ish Isuzu rodeo. They're made for beaches and rough terrain. But have some daily driver features like plush ride. I was trolling when I said plush.

Those are more designed with the intention of being being used on tight technical heavily wooded off camber trails at low speed, or being used similar to a side by side while still being able to navigate Europe's tight roads not designed with vehicles in mind. They're light with a very small footprint.

For mud and sand, you'll want a larger footprint for the added stability. You don't need to set your mind to well known 4x4s or the smallest 4x4 to fit down the tightest trails. A 1 ton crew cab long bed would do fine as long as it's 4x4.

As far as an SUV holding more people than a truck, that depends on the truck and SUV. Suburban beats a crew cab, but a crew cab beats a Wrangler.

No they're made for paki teenagers to roll 12 deep in Scarborough

Thanks, I don't know much about all this.
>For mud and sand, you'll want a larger footprint for the added stability.
that makes sense

Not true. If your sinking your sinking. Doesn't matter if wife or not.

Explain why mud truck has skinny tired. By that guys logic he'd say they should have wife tired but no they have skinny.

>Not true. If your sinking your sinking.
Keeping your weight evenly distributed can help one side from digging in, holding you up, and then causing the other side to dig in when you try to power out. A wider stance improves stability, helping to prevent that.

Competitive mud trucks run skinny tires because the diameter provides the flotation and height they need, so running a narrower tire means less weight. Less weight means less power lost to weight. Less power lost to weight means better chances of getting to the other side of the pit before the other guy. Note that those tires are quite often completely outside of the body. Even though the tires are narrow, they're placed further out to aid in stability. That said, with all else equal a wider tire WILL provide more flotation. If you're running 70"x20" tires then the extra width of a wider tire probably isn't needed but even those "skinny" tractor tires are still far wider than the 9.50s and 10.50s common on stock 4x4s.

>Tiny wheelbase
>Effay 90s vaporwave decals
>Variable 4wd hi-lo gearing
>can comfortably drive on bike trails
>Rear bucket seats
>Sturdy frame design endured 10 years under many brand names (vitara, sidekick, samurai, sunrunner etc)
>Legendary reliability
>Can wrench 90% of problems yourself

If you don't get the Tracker you are a legit retard.

>Tiny wheelbase
Not the slightest bit beneficial to his use.

>Effay 90s vaporwave decals

>Variable 4wd hi-lo gearing
Like pretty much every other 4x4.

>can comfortably drive on bike trails
On SOME bike trails. That others can also fit down.
But none of that will come into play on the beach and likely never in the mud either.

>Rear bucket seats

>Sturdy frame design endured 10 years under many brand names (vitara, sidekick, samurai, sunrunner etc)
I wouldn't exactly call it sturdy just because it's been used under multiple badges and the design didn't change for a while.

>Legendary reliability
lol

>Can wrench 90% of problems yourself
Like most other 80s/90s 4x4s.

So pretty much all of the "pros" don't fucking matter.
Let's look at the cons.
>weak drivetrain
>underpowered
>uncomfortable
>very little space
>easy to flip over

I wouldn't call them underpowered considering they weigh like 90lbs, and he gets more options out of this choice than the others so if his interests change towards a different terrain he's still good.

If he really wants extra power, you can pretty cheaply and easily do the saab 2.4 turbo swap and turn it into a rocket ship.

>more options
No, just different options if not fewer. Just because you don't acknowledge options in which your favorite vehicle does not excel does not mean such options don't exist.

Say he wants to start camping his vehicle.
Not in the Tracker.
Say he buys a four wheeler and wants to take it out with him.
Not in the Tracker.
Say he wants more than three passengers.
Not in the Tracker.
Say he wants to bomb around the dunes like a Prerunner.
Not in the Tracker. You technically could, but you can count on rolling over sideways if not end over end, and the lack of suspension travel is probably going to injure your back any impact.

So what would you recommend that is good for all of those things?
What about a jeep cherokee? That seems to be similar but a little bigger and more practical

Something with more than two doors with a decent payload and tow rating, decent power, and a sizable aftermarket supporting mods that benefit the intended use.
You want suspension travel for and sand, so solid axles are going to be a plus. For mud you're going to want a decent sized lift depending on the depth. A snorkel can keep you from drowning your engine in mud but dragging the body/frame through is far from ideal.

He said he's not going to DD it and didn't mention any tight trails, so size isn't really an issue. Cherokee wouldn't be too bad but for the listed use something bigger would probably do better.

Cool that it can do that, but no box makes it useless as a truck.
This is basically redneck equivalent of rice

>This is basically redneck equivalent of rice
No, this is the redneck equivalent of a purpose built track car.
It's not built to look like it can do something, it's built to actually do it.

At this point it's primary use is as a 4x4, not highway transportation of goods.

How the fuck are the Amigo, Tacoma, YJ and XJ small. The YJ is as big as a fucking Series 2/3 Landrover.

I drive ECLB full size pickups and occasionally class 4 and 5 dump trucks for work. A YJ is small.

The small stuff generally goes everywhere easier. I used to have a 60's F-250 flatbed as a farm truck when I was a kid and while it had pretty serious power in low (used to use it to pull stumps sometimes), it was so heavy it got stuck a lot easier and more importantly was way more destructive on muddy farm trails than the small and light stuff.

Nothing worse than having to spend your weekend hauling gravel to fill in mud ruts.

A 16v tracker may only make about 100hp but it will go over about anything. Rear diff gearing is 5.125. And the short wheelbase makes keeping off high center in loose/muddy stuff way easier.

>weak drivetrain
You can't mean reliability-wise. You can't mean gearing. So I'm not sure what you mean.

>underpowered
Not for its size and weight. Not that you can't drop in one of the Grand Vitara V6's if it bothers you. Motor mounts even match.

>uncomfortable
No more than any of the other old trucks and jeeps I've driven. Which is to say they're all pretty uncomfortable unless you get some giant suburban or something.

>very little space
You would be surprised. It's mostly vertical though so you have to stack things up instead of just lay them out.

>easy to flip over
That's true of any vehicle that's high up, which is to say only retards do that anyway.

>Say he wants to start camping his vehicle.
I've done it. If you're only taking two people, there's more than enough space. If there's more, you can always use a roof rack.

>Say he wants more than three passengers.
It fits four passengers, but one has to ride bitch in the back.

>Say he wants to bomb around the dunes like a Prerunner.
>You technically could, but you can count on rolling over sideways if not end over end, and the lack of suspension travel is probably going to injure your back any impact.
Done that, and the suspension travel is pretty good with a small lift. Also, some wheels with greater offset increase the stability tremendously.

Your car is a piece of shit