So I purchased a 2001 Chrysler 300M from a sketchy mechanic, and it made it about a mile before a hose came undone...

So I purchased a 2001 Chrysler 300M from a sketchy mechanic, and it made it about a mile before a hose came undone, the car refused to go over 30MPH, and it started smoking so I pulled it over to the shoulder of the highway. The guy said the motor was shot and the car was essentially totaled.

However, the title is signed over to me, so I'm pretty sure I still technically own the vehicle. I know replacing an entire engine is pretty costly and not worth it, but is it worth my time to tow the car to somewhere I might be able to work on it if the engine isn't completely shot, or at the very least is it worth the hassle to try to part it out myself. I believe the car already had about 130K miles on it.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_LH_engine#2.7_L
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How much did you pay for the car?

$1100. Apparently the guy put in a new battery, and then a hose wasn't connect all the way and came undone, so some liquid flushed out of it. I'm not sure the extent of the damages myself.

Why the hell would you do this? Even if everything seemed to be working fine, it's still a chyrsler product from a terrible era and the transmission will grenade sooner rather than later.

Should've shut up and bought a civic.

Don't blame the cars. Chrysler's LH cars were fantastic. Kinda sounds like the car was the result of a shitty owner though. If the engine's grenaded, I'm guessing the timing belt snapped since it was likely never changed.

I ended up with a 99 Mercury Mystique for around $900 that's working fine. Mainly I had about $1200 to spend on a first car and I was desperate. I don't know much about cars.

Oddly enough I think the belt was fine, the hose came undone and I think it flushed the radiator or something, so there was no coolant in the engine and it overheated. At least that's what it sounded like to me.

>Chrysler
>Fantastic

:D

Chrysler was fantastic before Mercedes stuck their nose where it didn't belong. Mercedes ruined Chrysler, killed any interesting products they had, made sure Chrysler parts were built by the cheapest bidder, and ruinned Chrysler's reliability. All the LH cars were designs and had the contract parts done before Mercedes stepped in. Before Mercedes, Chrysler was the most reliable, well built and profitable American car company there was..

For 1100$ you could've bought some shitbox nissan, toyota or honda and not some POS that has boundless electrical and mechanical gremlins.
Quick quesion, if you knew this guy was a shady mechanic then why did you pull the trigger?

>made sure Chrysler parts were built by the cheapest bidder, and ruinned Chrysler's reliability.

HAHA what? Chryslers were already cheap garbage with shit reliability.

probably since he stated that he was desperate for a car.

only the cars powered by Mitsubishi engines. Because Mitsubishi can't do anything right. pic related.

My girlfriend's dad was helping me find a car since he's a lawyer, he's good at negotiating and knows a bunch of people that owe him favors. The guy was the son of the girl he was dating at the time, and he thought the guy seemed like a straight shooter, so I took his word for it. When it came down to negotiating what to do about the car the guy showed his colors by immediately spending all of the money directly after the car broke down and he knew about it, then the guy helping me wanted me to sign the title over to him so he could donate it to Goodwill and get a tax break, but the guy was really bad at responding, so he just decided to be done with it. I'm free to pursue it if I want though.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_LH_engine#2.7_L

"Buildup of Oil sludge is a common issue that plagues this engine early on in its life. Poor design, small oil passages, and higher than average operating temperature are all factors in why this occurs .[3] The 2.7 L V6 engines have suffered from oil sludge contamination.[4][5][6] In February 2009, five separate class action lawsuits related to the alleged oil sludge defect were consolidated to the District of New Jersey.[7] During the Chrysler bankruptcy proceedings, there was concern among consumer advocate groups that Chrysler's proposed "free and clear" sale of assets to "New Chrysler" would allow the automaker to avoid liability for the oil sludge defect.[8]"

Pretty much this. I was jobless and needed a car to get any not shit job. Making $12/hr as an electrical apprentice now that I managed to luck out on a Mystique at a Goodwill auction. The Chrysler might just be something that I can work on recreationally, or at least do something productive with it.

The 2.7L was a victim of Mercedes and Bob Eaton being a spineless yes man

So should I just let it sit and be done with it, or is it worth trying to get it somewhere and run some diagnostics on it myself?

depends on if you want to spend the money on it. If you want it running, tow it to a mechanic and have it diagnosed and repaired. May cost an arm and a leg, but you'll know it was done right.
if you just want to buy another car, scrap it at a junkyard.

No one but you can tell you if it's worth it.

the 300m had the 3.5 V6, so how is this relevant to OP's post?
oh wait, it isn't.

you like, never check the engine temp or something? My e39 also threw up cooling when radiator cracked, went into red zone, aluminum block but nothing happened.

Nice cherrypick, faggot
Too bad their other engines like the 3.2 and 3.3 and LA V8s were bulletproof, as well as all the 2.2-2.5 liter turbo engines

how do you like your apprenticeship? i was thinking about getting into that soon

Right now I don't know much about the trade other than the semester I've learned at trade school, so I don't really feel like I deserve $12 an hour yet. But it's definitely the most fun job I've had so far besides travel time. I'd highly recommend it as an alternative to college.

It was literally my first car, I didn't think to check it because I wasn't expecting it unfortunately. My fault for being dumb.

A few hundred may be worth it, but not more than like $800 absolute max.

Bump