DAILY TOOLS AND TECHNICIANS

Rev up youre engines its time for another tools and technicians threads

>discuss tools and toolboxes
>recent jobs completed
>how awful your service writer is
>how stupid the average customer is
>complain about the sadistic engineers who design modern vehicles

Just ordered a m18 1/2 impact for $430 and it ships with a free m18 grease gun ($200ish)

>muh snap on

>haha wait till the boys at the shop see THIS
cringe

are you the faggot with the phone on his belt?

i bet you are you fucking faggot.

>Milwaukek

>Origin: China

SNAPON USA electric impact here. fucking faggot

15k?
need a good rollcab for the workshop, have a sidchrome top, is it worth buying a double wide for a dealership job?

Just interviewed at Tesla, went pretty well, think I'll probably take the job if they offer it to me, will know by mid week

Do they pay better. Probably isn't much different than working at any other dealership.

Can't tell you had to sign two NDAs.

Yeah it's about the same, but you can work as much OT as you can handle, no flat rate, and they are obviously expanding insanely fast so there are some very good opportunities to move up the chain

Neither. Dude is literally over twice my age.

Does having a weaker inferior tool really make it better because it was assembled from Chinese parts in America? I've used a coworker's 18v 3/8 impact and it was inferior to my 20v Dewalt based Mac in every imaginable way.

Dude traded in a couple of garbage ass crapsman boxes and he got the epiq roll cab, stainless top, and hutch with a led light kit for like $10k. Personally I just pay cash for all my tools so I generally hunt around on Craigslist for boxes when I'm in the market.

Who makes the best jack/jack stand combo for the money these days?

I was looking at harbor freight earlier, they seem to have some good deals

No flat rate and OT is real nice.

i have the snapon CT8810A

its pretty inferior the bigger electrics. its not a true pneumatic replacement

but it does put in some fucking work.

Toolbox more expensive than my 2016 2.7 0-60 motorbike

i spoke to a manager at a "access a ride" fleet for a job. i asked him for a application and he asked me what i know and where i came from. i'v been out of work for a while. everybody tells me to stay away from being a mechanic but i have to stay with what i know. i tried to do other things but it did not workout for me. i hope i hear something, even tho the shop steward told me the manager violates the "equal employment" law by denying people who are not POO IN LOO like him. the steward told me if i dont here something from the manager to call him because he is building up a case about the manager.

that place doesnt seem bad tho because their is no flat rate and everybody takes their time unlike a dealership where i came from where you are always rushed

People trying to involve you in backstabbing and mutiny before you even make it past the interview, sounds like a great shop (not surprised to hear something like that though, welcome to the world of auto repair)

>welcome to the world of auto repair

i already got a nice welcome from my old job. where other mechanics dont like to help out the rookie and the managers would rather keep you doing simple things rather then letting you move up. why give me a check engine light when they have a guy who can fix it much quicker, you know what i mean?

there was a lot of back stabbing at my old job. new owner came and he brought his managers and staff. new guys wanted to get rid of the old guys to bring in their own. and the current (old) employees where kissing ass and trying to bury one another. i saw all my old "friends" go and i knew my time was going to come which it did. i was already having problems with other workers so i just quit, i gave them what they wanted. i couldn't deal with them no more. i really wanted to punch them in the face because they really got to me. they hurt my feeling and ego.

A $10k toolbox is a pretty insignificant expenditure to a technician near retirement age who already has paid off his home, vehicles, etc.

Sounds like the standard experience unfortunately. Carve out a niche for yourself and you can probably find a cool shop someday.

that's why I work at a make specific independent where its about the cars not the money. love my job tbqh.

Such is life everywhere bro. People are always gonna try to make themselves feel better any fucking chance they get.