First car

hey, Veeky Forums. i'm in need of a car for mostly commute to and from work and need a solid dd. i was thinking of taking a look at this '02 celica gt. does anyone here have any experience with this car? i would appreciate any input you have.

southernsunmotors.com/web/used/Toyota-Celica-GT-2002-Addison-Texas/29795317/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UK3GOFqVSyI
dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/5616219246.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

toyota corolla

It LOOKS fast, but it isn't really.

youtube.com/watch?v=UK3GOFqVSyI

most in my area look like pieces of shit or have more miles than i would like

not really concerned with speed

Get a shitbox, you will be making mistakes and forget checking oil and put wrong fuel in and make dents or crash or some other uncountable amounts of rookie mistakes.

Don't pick such a nice car until you have a couple of years of steady driving under your belt

No fucking way. Fuck off with that

What the fuck kind of retarded ass kid were you?
Got my first car when I was 16 and didn't get into a crash until I was 27.
People like you shouldn't be allowed to operate a vehicle.

>wants A to B shitbox
>picks the flashiest one possible

Good luck finding one that isn't already raped to death by wetbacks.

i'll take care of it... for you, bb.

who said i wanted a shitbox? granted, it will be a dd, but that doesn't mean it can't have a little personality.

New drivers, especially men, have the highest amount of crashes

That's why insurance is expensive for them

I'm just trying to be realistic here

What was your rate when you started driving and paying for insurance?
Also age and location

>automatic Celica
>personality

It's really just for show, isn't it? It'll burn oil, so keep an eye on that. That's just a seventh gen Celica issue that you have to deal with if you want the factory rice rocket. Not sure how different the ones across the water are but over here the 2ZZ isn't happy unless it's drinking premium fuel.

Cuck/10

I have 2 Celicas both 2000
One GTS and a GT , they're great DD.
Go for the 2zzGTS over GT you will not regret it , manual > automatic.

Only my GT burns oil it has 155k miles
My GTS 112k miles has no issues burning oil (yet)

rate is $200 a month right now, but i have a car insured that isn't mine. didn't have insurance until now since i didn't really need it before.

in fairness, yes. i wouldn't mind something basic like a civic or whatnot, but i can't seem to find one that's well taken care of in my price range. that or they have high miles, an unclean title, etc.

don't know how to drive manual. i'm interested in learning, but i don't know anyone who even drives manual.

^ also reminds me, there's a nice-looking manual celica in dallas if anyone's in this area.
dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/5616219246.html

>people think a celica isnt a commuter shitbox
really guys?

go for it op, price looms right for a gt

If you're going auto I still suggest you to get a GTS over a GT , the GTS is noticeably better.

only gts's i could find just now are either manual or have poorly-maintained interiors (and 150k+ miles).

The burning oil thing isn't true of all year models. They fixed that issue by 04. I have a 05 ft at 179000 and it has had no mechanical problems, mostly because by 05 many of the common problems you hear, like burning oil, had been fixed by the factory. I would suggest replacing the timing chain by my mileage though as they tend to stretch quite a bit. The factory recommends replacing it at about 100,000 but it isn't strictly necessary. But by now I have lost a bit of power and it is pretty noticeable.

Go for it then , I find it kind of expensive tho . I got my Gts for $4400 cash with only 65k miles 5 years ago . I did low ball the shit out of the kid selling it, he was asking $5.5 k

no matter what, i'm having the car inspected by a mechanic, so i could ask about the timing belt seeing as the car is just a few thousand over 100k.

i definitely try to work the price down no matter what the vehicle. this one seems to be towards the higher end of the kbb value, so i would think i could get it down at least a few hundred.

It isn't a belt, it is a chain, the difference here is that it won't ever fail, but they do stretch. It is kind of a pain to replace with the engine in the car, and if the car was driven "lightly" chances are it wouldn't have stretched far enough out of spec to matter. I drive mine very aggressively, and I have noticed the small loss in power over the years. But most engines are pretty tired after almost 180000 miles, so I am not concerned. Eventually I want to find a lower mileage engine to replace mine since it probably could use some new piston rings and a hone.

ah, ok. thanks for clearing that up for me. hopefully the chain won't be an issue with this car. luckily, the car doesn't have many miles for how old it is, so unless the drivers were trying to top out pretty consistently, i hope it won't be an issue.

7th gen celica is kinda retarded looking, 5th gen and the older gens are decent looking, the 6th gen GT4 is pretty good looking though.

I have a 5th gen in manual and I like it, it's got enough power for a bit of fun and it handles alright. Don't get a celica in auto though, you might as well just get a corolla or a civic if you really want something in auto.

7th gen Celica's make great daily drivers. I've been DD'ing one for over three years now. It takes me over 100 miles a day, five days a week. It is a GT (1ZZFE). I feed it a diet of decent gas, and oil changes every 3k. It handles like its on rails (have 18" low profile tires and some decent struts, nothing crazy though, just decent parts).

I tell everyone my car is all show and no go. GT's are not quick, really. They drive well, though, and they get great gas mileage. For my work commute car, its great. Also, I've heard that the 1ZZ's can eventually start burning oil, due to sticking rings. I have never had any problems with the powerplant or drivetrain at all. Nothing. Nada. I got it with 60k miles. I've put > 60k more on it, with routine oil changes.

GTS's with their 2ZZ perform better, with a slight impact on mileage. But given the option, I would gladly drop a few miles per gallon to get some more horsepower.

I would buy another 7th gen any day. I love mine. It's the most reliable car I've ever owned. I drive it rain, shine, summer, winter (with snow tires on), day, night, and it ... just .. gets ... me .. anywhere.

Love em. Get one and be happy.

Yeah, I noticed that the 7th gen celica handles exceptionally well. Right now I have really worn out shocks and the car still takes fast turns. I competed in my schools rallyx and was either first or second in 2wd. And I get a bit above average gas mileage on the freeway, which is super nice, but I do wish it had 200ish HP instead of 140. I am thinking of doing a 2zz swap with the striker kit to bring it up to 2.0 L, which should actually break 200HP na pretty easily.

Also thinking of doing an AWD conversion using the parts off of a awd matrix/vibe, since they share so many parts already, but the chassis will need a bit of modification to accept the new subframe, but a couple bolt holes already line up, so placing the rear subframe should be real easy, and require no measuring.

most corollas/civics in dallas that are within my budget have something about them that prevent me from considering them. any of the ones i would seriously consider are too costly for me. of course, i'll still keep looking out for them in case one turns up.

from what i've read, celicas are kind of like corollas, only more fun to drive.

sadly, i have to wait until monday before i can find out if the celica i'm looking at will even be available. the dealer has it listed as "pending."

Celica's are like celica's mate, a few generations share the engine with a camry or corolla but the way it drives is different.

yeah, i'm sure what i said was an understatement. i'm just going off of a couple reviews i read from owners, though they were probably referring to other things besides the way it drives.

>fwd celica
>nice car
top jej. maybe if it was a GT-FOUR you would have a point

anyone else got any thoughts/experiences?

They're really good cars , the reason I bought 2